1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

All I can remember is the wht/red over high polish. Ez posted a comment about it just before I did. I think the OP was trailering his bare hull to & from his father or FIL's place (trailer too) for the paint work.

I'll look thru the main resto threads, I went back 4pgs in the SC thread & couldn't come up w/ it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

An to answer GA's question from a page or two ago, her name is

IN THE RED

Perfect name. :D Especially with UPS sticking you with the ridiculous import surcharge. :blue:

Looks like she is gonna be another winner, Glen!

barato2

Commander

and a perfect color scheme for your Arctic climes! FWIW, i also like the script you used for the letters....perfect for the stern if you can get that font made.

dozerII

Admiral

Perfect name. :D Especially with UPS sticking you with the ridiculous import surcharge. :blue:

Looks like she is gonna be another winner, Glen!

and a perfect color scheme for your Arctic climes! FWIW, i also like the script you used for the letters....perfect for the stern if you can get that font made.

Thanks guys, we are most always upside down on these keeper projects so I thought the name fitting, the scrip is a common one so I may be able to get the vinyl shop to use it.

Bummer the Postman didn't make it here with my Caswell order in time for the weekend, otherwise I would be finished with polish by tomorrow night. After that is done I'm ready for the flip back over and reassembly.

dozerII

Admiral

MERRY CHRISTMAS
to all my StarCraft Brothers and your Families

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Merry Christmas to you and yours Glen!!

Have a safe and wonderful Holiday!

Speaking of "Holidays", I believe jb was thinking of starcrafter65's "Holiday":

DSC02336_zps18114012.jpg

P.S. Dig the Name!!! :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral

Merry Christmas to you and yours Glen!!

Have a safe and wonderful Holiday!

Speaking of "Holidays", I believe jb was thinking of starcrafter65's "Holiday":

DSC02336_zps18114012.jpg

P.S. Dig the Name!!! :thumb:

Now I've done it, Clark was po'd at me for semi copying his name from that boat on the Naked Lady, and now I'm unwittingly taking my Holiday and making it very similar to his:eek: But I can guarantee mine won't be an open bow and it will have some color on the sides.

dozerII

Admiral

So I gave the new to me Caswell polish system a try this morning before the Admiral got up. Does it work? yes Do I like it no!! This is what the Admiral found when she came out to the hanger, after a wipe with paper towel.

Notice the hound trying to check out the turkey?

It is no where near as clean as Inmotion lead us to believe, instead of gooey, it is dusty, real dusty, but it does work and work well. I was having real trouble with the final white pass leaving marks, so I went with black, then brown, then a wipe down with acetone to remove the wax. Then an ultra fine pass with Sonus and now I'm happy. A guy just has to think about how much material and how thin he wants the skin on his hull to be, cuz to get a perfect shine on a 38 year old hull you have to take the high down to the bottom of the lows, (scratches, gouges and corrosion). Tomorrow I hit the rest of the hull with the system I think works great and I will post some pictures.

I also found another system that works pretty well, with the hull up on saw horses upside down, I took a look at the 43 holes per gunwale and how to fix them. Using 40 grit sand paper on my orbital sander I sanded the under side of the gunwales, then vacuumed all the dust and crud out. Then I placed masking tape over all the holes on the top side of the gunwales and put a thick layer of JB weld on the lower side. Now when I flip her back over I can put a thin layer on top, ready to sand flat with out the need of aluminum backers.

GA_Boater

I see Santa either gave you the coal or had you make the deliveries, Glen. :lol:

InMotion

Commander

So I gave the new to me Caswell polish system a try this morning before the Admiral got up. Does it work? yes Do I like it no!! This is what the Admiral found when she came out to the hanger, after a wipe with paper towel.

Notice the hound trying to check out the turkey?

It is no where near as clean as Inmotion lead us to believe, instead of gooey, it is dusty, real dusty, but it does work and work well. I was having real trouble with the final white pass leaving marks, so I went with black, then brown, then a wipe down with acetone to remove the wax. Then an ultra fine pass with Sonus and now I'm happy. A guy just has to think about how much material and how thin he wants the skin on his hull to be, cuz to get a perfect shine on a 38 year old hull you have to take the high down to the bottom of the lows, (scratches, gouges and corrosion). Tomorrow I hit the rest of the hull with the system I think works great and I will post some pictures.

I also found another system that works pretty well, with the hull up on saw horses upside down, I took a look at the 43 holes per gunwale and how to fix them. Using 40 grit sand paper on my orbital sander I sanded the under side of the gunwales, then vacuumed all the dust and crud out. Then I placed masking tape over all the holes on the top side of the gunwales and put a thick layer of JB weld on the lower side. Now when I flip her back over I can put a thin layer on top, ready to sand flat with out the need of aluminum backers.

Ahhhh.... I did mention you might look like a coal miner when your done!!! :)

I found that if I stood left or right of the spinning wheel at ALL times I was spared the worst of it! Usually just a the left hand that was holding the bars and my left foot for holding rake....

But ya... it does produce "some" grit!

Looking forward to seeing your results!

J

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Ahhhh.... I did mention you might look like a coal miner when your done!!! :)

I found that if I stood left or right of the spinning wheel at ALL times I was spared the worst of it! Usually just a the left hand that was holding the bars and my left foot for holding rake....

But ya... it does produce "some" grit!

Looking forward to seeing your results!

J

and it probably doesn't hurt that you have a few more inches in reach than the rest of the mob :p

Glen, did you have to duck any fryin' pans walking into a white kitchen :eek: your hands are in a defensive position & I presume that it's your wife recording the carnage :p :lol:

GA_Boater

I think the pic of Glen was after the policeman said raise your hands slowly and turn around. :laugh:

dozerII

Admiral

You got that right Jim, lots of grit and black fluff, but it does work.

BF I'm surprised the picture turned out, she was laughing so hard it should have been blurry.

GA I didn't get that dirty when I worked in a coal mine, and I don't think the cops would of picked me up cuz I would get their car filthy.

I'm hoping to be finished with this today, so I can get on to other things.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Finally after another 9 hours of turning myself black the polish id done, Thank the Good Lord. After a little experimenting I decided to go with the Sonus sealant, I didn't like how the Collinite wax left a hazy finish. So she is flipped back onher keel and ready to start some construction.

dozerII

Admiral

A couple more.

So to recap the process:
I wasted mine and Darcy's time, as well as 6 foam pads and 3 bottles of Sonus polish prior to getting the Caswell polish system. Now the way I will polish from here on is as follows:

Strip and Clean the hull as good as possible.
Use 400-600 grit sand paper to take off any burs or bad spots.
Using a sewn cotton wheel on the polisher and a black emery bar, attack the hull like you own it. Lots of pressure and move from the back or front of the boat to the other end, this will spread and stop a lot of heat build up in one area.
Once you have everything smoothed out and a semi shine to it with micro scratches from the black emery, move on to the brown Tripoly block and another sewn cotton wheel, go over everything again in the same manner. You will see a whicked shine with very light marks from the brown block.
I had no luck whatsoever trying to use a white block and pad, it just left black edges along each pass. So this is where I decided to try a fine finishing foam pad and some Sonus polish and that is how she got finished.
Then a real good thick coat of Sonus Aluminum sealant and a buff with Micro fiber towels.

GA_Boater

Thanks for pics with the sun glaring on her. I forgot the welders helmet, so I'm typing this semi-blind. She shined up great! You didn't cheat and chrome In The Red, did you? :D

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Looks awesome Glen.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Darcy's gonna call you out for holding out on him when he see's those ^^^ results.

Looks great! Black face & all.........

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks for pics with the sun glaring on her. I forgot the welders helmet, so I'm typing this semi-blind. She shined up great! You didn't cheat and chrome In The Red, did you? :D

Sorry GA, I guess I should have posted a warning "Caution what you are about to see may cause temporary blindness":D

Looks awesome Glen.

Thanks John

Darcy's gonna call you out for holding out on him when he see's those ^^^ results.

Looks great! Black face & all.........

Thanks jb, she's not perfect but she is 38 and been used hard.