1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Glen,

How did I miss this thread man, as usual she looks great happy to here this may be your love it for a long time boat. Love the shine.

dozerII

Admiral

You're making the postman dread seeing your address on a package(s). Oh, his aching back. :)

The dolly looks like it improved the rivet set. Good idea!

as always, you set the standard for the rest of us. i bet you'll even get to the point where your dang riveting looks better than the factory's.....:clap2:

Accurate on both counts already ^^^

Those look GREAT, excellent work!!

Viewing Starmada resto threads is so riveting. Who knew. :D

Great info there Glen! Your riveting looks really good!

Thanks guys

Rivets look great Glen,
I had similar issues with the bucking bar walking, until I backed the air pressure down to around 40-50psi using a HF cheap-o air hammer for a rivet gun..

Astor, thanks for stopping by, I too found I had to set the pressure at 60-70psi, the first try was at 120 ooops.

Glen,

How did I miss this thread man, as usual she looks great happy to here this may be your love it for a long time boat. Love the shine.

Hey Sig great to see you here, I really like this boat and the important part is the Admiral likes it more. So she may just be the keeper.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Glen. I used a bucking bar of hot rolled steel 1" dia by about a foot long for the 60 or so rivets I installed. I followed instructions indicating that the bar should not be so heavy that is doesn't dance on the rivet's shank. The bar's dance helps the process. My bar was just flat on the end. I felt confident that the end of the shank flattened only after it had swelled to tightly fit the drilled hole. Peening the end round with the cup in the dolly looks pretty, but getting the volume of the cup just right to swell the shank adequately may be tricky. But then, I remember you're kinda tricky too. - Grandad

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the prolly silly questions but I've never done or seen a solid rivet install....

So the air hammer/mandrel goes on the end with the dome on it right? The bar or bucking bar goes on the cylinder shaft on the back side of the pieces you are trying to hold together with the rivet yes?

Are the 3 on top the ones that you used the hand dolly with the hole in it? The flat bar ones (8) are at the bottom that looks almost factory from the rear correct??

A sweet youtube video of this process would make this thready even more awesomer than it already is... :) Just saying...

:encouragement:

dozerII

Admiral

Hi Glen. I used a bucking bar of hot rolled steel 1" dia by about a foot long for the 60 or so rivets I installed. I followed instructions indicating that the bar should not be so heavy that is doesn't dance on the rivet's shank. The bar's dance helps the process. My bar was just flat on the end. I felt confident that the end of the shank flattened only after it had swelled to tightly fit the drilled hole. Peening the end round with the cup in the dolly looks pretty, but getting the volume of the cup just right to swell the shank adequately may be tricky. But then, I remember you're kinda tricky too. - Grandad

Thanks Grandad, you have picture of your bucking bar? The Youtube video increased my knowledge of riveting by a couple hundred %

Sorry for the prolly silly questions but I've never done or seen a solid rivet install....

So the air hammer/mandrel goes on the end with the dome on it right? The bar or bucking bar goes on the cylinder shaft on the back side of the pieces you are trying to hold together with the rivet yes?

Are the 3 on top the ones that you used the hand dolly with the hole in it? The flat bar ones (8) are at the bottom that looks almost factory from the rear correct??

A sweet youtube video of this process would make this thready even more awesomer than it already is... :) Just saying...

:encouragement:

You are correct the 8 lower ones look almost factory and were done with the 1"plate, The only option I have to do this is to have the Admiral hold the bucking bar :facepalm: so I'm trying to make it so it is real easy for her so we are still speaking to each other when it's done.:eek:

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

at a minimum, get her a set of earmuffs? or maybe make the set of active noise-canceling headphones her Xmas gift? deer or elk skin gloves too....wish all personal protection gear felt this sensuous to put on. just stay away from the fingerless elbow length ones for boat work.......:D

hopefully work calms down enough today that i can watch the vids

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Post man has been very busy for me.

Air hammer came from Princess Auto on sale for $38.00, the 3/16" 401 mandrels are from the Klassic Tool Crib and the rivets from Jay-Cee sales.

I played around with it a bit and found you had to be very careful the mandrel doesn't ride up on the rivet, as happened to five of the seven attemps. On these ones I used a piece of 1" flat steel as a bucker on the back side but it was a little clumsy.

I just happen to have a body dolly that I never use and after trying a couple of times I found that drilling a shallow 1/4" hole and deburing it worked real well to keep the dolly on the rivet.

And this is the result after a little practice.

Awesome work Glen! Not as easy as it looks! Can I give you directions to my starcraft hanger? I have a few that need rivets :lol:

dozerII

Admiral

at a minimum, get her a set of earmuffs? or maybe make the set of active noise-canceling headphones her Xmas gift? deer or elk skin gloves too....wish all personal protection gear felt this sensuous to put on. just stay away from the fingerless elbow length ones for boat work.......:D

hopefully work calms down enough today that i can watch the vids

Ear muffs and gloves no problem, not deer skin but they will work.

Awesome work Glen! Not as easy as it looks! Can I give you directions to my starcraft hanger? I have a few that need rivets :lol:

No problem BF, but if I was going to drive that far I'd have to pick up a boat too!!!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

No problem BF, but if I was going to drive that far I'd have to pick up a boat too!!!

is a 22' Islander enough motivation/justification for ya?
(be sure to bring a new axle or 2 :lol:

00f0f_cbtrwedmqo3_600x450.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Now that's just plain not nice BF, mind you it is only 3200k one way, and I could stop and see Jim and Grandad on the way back!! :indecisiveness:

dozerII

Admiral

Okay it's time to let the cat out of the bag a little. The post man brought the last of what I needed to put it all together. First thanks to Budski and the Naked Lady figuring out the floor color was easy and instead of vinyl on the sides this time I'm going with carpet.
Nautolex Shark and Charcoal grey carpet.

For the upholstery I'm going to stick with factory pleated white and for contrast, well the picture explains it all.

And now the color scheme, just a small sample piece of aluminum and the pic dosen't do it justice.

An to answer GA's question from a page or two ago, her name is

IN THE RED

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

SANTA RED!

HO, HO, HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Nice man:thumb:

InMotion

Commander

Looks great man! Nice choices. That'll brighten things up and make that boat look awesome!

Cool...

J.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Guys, I didn't think I would like a red boat, but by combining Lakelovers and the Naked Lady I think it should be pretty sharp.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Whose SC is it that had a white cap/gunwale top, red hull sides & polished below the rubrail?

Dug for 20min & still couldn't come up w/ that ^^^ build............ It's in here somewhere........... LOOKED GREAT!

The pleated seats in white w/ some red vinyl will look good against the carpet & nautolex you choose.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Your combination of colors sounds great, this should be really interesting. do you think you'll be done in a couple of days can't wait to see the finished product.

dozerII

Admiral

Whose SC is it that had a white cap/gunwale top, red hull sides & polished below the rubrail?

Dug for 20min & still couldn't come up w/ that ^^^ build............ It's in here somewhere........... LOOKED GREAT!

The pleated seats in white w/ some red vinyl will look good against the carpet & nautolex you choose.

I'm not sure which one your referring to jb, but I really liked LL's

Your combination of colors sounds great, this should be really interesting. do you think you'll be done in a couple of days can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks John, but there is no way I can work as fast as you, so it will be a while.