1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

I'm impressed Glen. Thanks for the videos!

InMotion

Commander

Great tutorials there Glen! Nice work... this one is really polishing up nicely. Seems a lot brighter then Naked Lady... really is a lot of work --- but 100% in agreement that it is less work down the road. My Jupiter would be scratched up nicely if I had painted the sides. Too many docks with old nails in the sides, or cleats that stick out or other stuff that now just makes a little scratch that is super hard to see.

Nice work!

Take care,

J.

Ps - I emptied my mailbox....

dozerII

Admiral

I'm impressed Glen. Thanks for the videos!

Thanks cj, glad to share.

Great tutorials there Glen! Nice work... this one is really polishing up nicely. Seems a lot brighter then Naked Lady... really is a lot of work --- but 100% in agreement that it is less work down the road. My Jupiter would be scratched up nicely if I had painted the sides. Too many docks with old nails in the sides, or cleats that stick out or other stuff that now just makes a little scratch that is super hard to see.

Nice work!

Take care,

J.

Ps - I emptied my mailbox....

Thanks Jim, there are quite a few deep scratch, but they just add character, she is 38 years old. I think the shine is about the same as the Naked Lady. If you go back to the Sonus system let me know and I will send you the part # for the Yellow Hex-Logic pads awesome.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Glen that looks amazing, thanks for the videos.

Do you have any idea how long the shine lasts? Does the 16'er you did last year still look as shiny? Now I'm very tempted to do that to my 18 SS.

-Ben

dozerII

Admiral

Glen that looks amazing, thanks for the videos.

Do you have any idea how long the shine lasts? Does the 16'er you did last year still look as shiny? Now I'm very tempted to do that to my 18 SS.

-Ben

Thanks Ben. Once you have the desired amount of shine, you apply the protectant which keeps the shine on the aluminum. It does have to be applied a couple times a year, but it's just a wipe on buff off product. I don't think I wold recommend this finish to a boat that was going to be moored for weeks at a time, but then again we haven't tried that either. Naked Lady is still as shiney as when she left the hanger, for the most part.

dozerII

Admiral

Mail man brought me some goodies for the boat yesterday.

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

did the moose that Canada Post uses to pull the wagon step on the steering box or what? :eek:

InMotion

Commander

did the moose that Canada Post uses to pull the wagon step on the steering box or what? :eek:

Nahh... that was one of Santa's reindeer! :)

Nice early xmas gifts there glen....

J.

dozerII

Admiral

Ya it's nice to see new parts coming in, it means things will be going back together soon. B2 the Post Office said the damage to the box was done on the U.S. just before it crossed the border.:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Where's the stamp/sticker/tape applied by Canadian Post saying it was received in damaged condition? No CYA like USPS when packages get smooshed in transit? Good thing it was the steering that can take more postal carrier abuse than the more delicate gauges. :rolleyes:

dozerII

Admiral

Where's the stamp/sticker/tape applied by Canadian Post saying it was received in damaged condition? No CYA like USPS when packages get smooshed in transit? Good thing it was the steering that can take more postal carrier abuse than the more delicate gauges. :rolleyes:

So True.

dozerII

Admiral

Post man has been very busy for me.

Air hammer came from Princess Auto on sale for $38.00, the 3/16" 401 mandrels are from the Klassic Tool Crib and the rivets from Jay-Cee sales.

I played around with it a bit and found you had to be very careful the mandrel doesn't ride up on the rivet, as happened to five of the seven attemps. On these ones I used a piece of 1" flat steel as a bucker on the back side but it was a little clumsy.

I just happen to have a body dolly that I never use and after trying a couple of times I found that drilling a shallow 1/4" hole and deburing it worked real well to keep the dolly on the rivet.

And this is the result after a little practice.

dozerII

Admiral

Oh ya and my Fleabay find, it will be so nice to have the trim and trailer buttons on the shifter.

GA_Boater

You're making the postman dread seeing your address on a package(s). Oh, his aching back. :)

The dolly looks like it improved the rivet set. Good idea!

barato2

Commander

as always, you set the standard for the rest of us. i bet you'll even get to the point where your dang riveting looks better than the factory's.....:clap2:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I played around with it a bit and found you had to be very careful the mandrel doesn't ride up on the rivet, as happened to five of the seven attemps. On these ones I used a piece of 1" flat steel as a bucker on the back side but it was a little clumsy.

I just happen to have a body dolly that I never use and after trying a couple of times I found that drilling a shallow 1/4" hole and deburing it worked real well to keep the dolly on the rivet.

And this is the result after a little practice.

as always, you set the standard for the rest of us. i bet you'll even get to the point where your dang riveting looks better than the factory.....:clap2:
Accurate on both counts already ^^^

Those look GREAT, excellent work!!

GA_Boater

Viewing Starmada resto threads is so riveting. Who knew. :D

InMotion

Commander

Great info there Glen! Your riveting looks really good!

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Rivets look great Glen,
I had similar issues with the bucking bar walking, until I backed the air pressure down to around 40-50psi using a HF cheap-o air hammer for a rivet gun..