Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Ouch, what all did they do to it.:(

I'll keep a running total on what I spend to get mine up and running,

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ouch, what all did they do to it.:(

I'll keep a running total on what I spend to get mine up and running,

The lions share went to a completely new engine and a rebuild of the outdrive. The rest went to smaller random things like trim motor, water pump, ignition switch, winterizing, stuff like that.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

New engine, sounds promising. I think you scored pretty good here. I hear the 4.3 is a very good motor.

I looked again at the bill of sale I received in the mail:redface:. It's actually a letter of certification from Michigan Secretary of State.:D I'm thinking this is a good as a title and I should have no problem transferring the title into my name.

I can't wait to see the finished Islander, they're my favorite of the Starcraft's.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well gents, I am through stewing about it. This old Islander will certainly be and IO.

Man that feels good to have that decision behind me! I think there are probably two things that I will particularly miss by not going the OB route. First, the great big space where the dog house will now live and second, the extended fishing season that an OB provides (winterizing). No sweat though! I think transplanting this Merc is good for my boat, good for my budget, and good for me. I do appreciate the advise that you guys provided, thanks!

Since this ol' girl is going the IO route I have pretty well decided on the color scheme too. White on white about like this 67':

(Thanks Huron for providing us all with these old pics!)

67Islander.jpg

I am thinking the interior will probably be white as well, with wood trim eh! I feel like this scheme will keep with it's traditional lines and dress her nicely.

Happy Sunday!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I sold the old OMC today!!! Cool!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congrats...sounds like you've had quite the weekend of progress:D You really can't go wrong with an islander...any color and it's a sweet rig. So the OMC cash goes towards the new deck and gluvit?

Thanks Huron for providing us all with these old pics!

Don't mention it ja...that's what they're there for...just glad to see 'em being used:) Good luck with the rig.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So the OMC cash goes towards the new deck and gluvit?

Actually I am going to count it towards the new Baja/Merc/Trailer. I am thinking that after I part out that Baja (though there isn't much there), sell off one of the trailers, sell the downriggers that came off of the Islander, and add in the OMC cash, I should have that entire Baja rig free and clear! Nice!

sprintst

Commander

Nice deal on the boat. The whole seliing of stuff lying around really adds up. I paid for a good chunk of my parts order recently with some gun parts and what not on e-bay.

I sold my motorcycle last week and will set that money aside but my helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots etc will go on E-bay this week. Hopefully that stuff will fund my interior work :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I have turned my attention to the transom at this point. I pulled off all of the hardware/screws/brackets and whatever else I could find. I then took off the corner brackets, slid out the rub rail, and unscrewed the aluminum channel. So far so good, but as you fellas know to get that transom out I need to be able to lift up that stern deck plate just a bit so I can slide it out. In order to do that I need to undo just a few feet of the aluminum channel on the gunwales. In order to do that I need to get this rub rail out without ruining it. The stern one wasn't so bad as it was short and I could just tap it out. These others are so stinkin long there is a lot of friction, and, I can see that it is pinched under the bow/nose plate which is riveted in.

I would rather not ruin them as they are in pretty good shape. One side is excellent while the other has a few chunks out that I think I can fix.

Tricks? Thoughts? Best practices?

Thanks!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I pretty much figured that the only way to make this work was to take the bow plate off and pull the rub rail completely out. So that is pretty much what I did. The port side was utterly destroyed, starbord came out with just a bit of effort but all in one piece. The bow plate ended up getting just a small chip out of it but I should be able to smooth it out some and it isn't too obvious. That was tricky getting that off!

I am just about ready to pull that transom out of there! I am guessing it shouldn't be too bad getting it out - but - getting the new one back in seems like it's going to be one heck of a job!!

So for tonight...

1 rub rail trashed:mad:
1 rub rail intact:)
1 bow plate off with small chip:mad:
1 big bloody gash on on the finger from the newly exposed aluminum:mad:
1 transom ready to be pulled:D
forward progress:)

Overall a good night, cheers!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What no pics?

The new transom shouldn't be too hard to slide back in. Azlo's should be similar to yours and he did a bang up job if you haven't checked his thread yet.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What no pics?

The new transom shouldn't be too hard to slide back in. Azlo's should be similar to yours and he did a bang up job if you haven't checked his thread yet.

Sorry, you are so right, I know better...

I didn't take shots of the process but here is what I have:

P1000947.jpg

P1000949.jpg

The little chip isn't so bad. I'll sand it smooth and nobody will even know except me (and now you guys).

Here is a short section of my rub rail. I cut it square so I could take some good measurements.

P1000950.jpg

It looks as though this will be my replacement but I'll need to buy 70' of it to do the whole boat, ouch:

http://www.iboats.com/1-3-16-x-1-2-...1141601--**********.575528512--view_id.271893

Unless any of my Starcraft brethren has about 23ish feet of this original rail?????

As for getting the transom back in...

I usually work alone but I am thinking that several sets of hands holding the rear deck plate up and out of the way will be the ticket. Any of you guys want to swing through sunny central MI on your way to Tinstock? I'll make sandwiches! Yah, didn't think so.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

White on white? I like it!

Boat1w.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice work J. We have some warmer weather coming up this week. It will be in the low 30's and sunny. I fully expect to see you splash the first week of March!

White on White, I like it. I was thinking of Ivory and blue trim for mine. l like white for some reason, looks classic.

Great choice with the 4.3, it's such a great truck motor. From a hotrodders perspective it is 3/4 of a small block Chevy. Solid little motor, I hear they are great in boats too. I'll race you up and down the St. Clair River!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Very nice work J. We have some warmer weather coming up this week. It will be in the low 30's and sunny. I fully expect to see you splash the first week of March!

White on White, I like it. I was thinking of Ivory and blue trim for mine. l like white for some reason, looks classic.

Great choice with the 4.3, it's such a great truck motor. From a hotrodders perspective it is 3/4 of a small block Chevy. Solid little motor, I hear they are great in boats too. I'll race you up and down the St. Clair River!

Thanks Don! First week of March 2012 maybe!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, super sunny Saturday, two boats that need a ton of work, so what is a fella to do? Honey-Do list, what else!

I finally got Thumper the Baja home yesterday afternoon and so in between all my chores (that make for a happy wife) I spent just a few minutes in the glasser. The guys at the marina said this boat was mint when the PO ended up leaving it parked at their place. I felt bad man handling it like I was, I got over it pretty quick.

I first tore out the motor house (front and top)...
P1000980.jpg

Ripped out some panels along the sides. Pulled out the glove box and related stuff...
P1000978.jpg

Captains chairs out...
P1000979.jpg

These are shot but I am thinking that they will be real sharp recovered.

Won't be too long now before I introduce Thumper to Mr. Zall, a Mr. SawZall

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good Jas, yeah beautiful couple of days we just had...of course with two dogs and melting snow, Guess what I spent time cleaning up on...uuugh.
Now they're forcasting another 5-8 inches sunday into monday...I gotta talk the mrs into moving lol.

Yeah I like the style on those seats...new covering will be sweet. Congrats on the latest addition!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks HSF! I still have a bunch of snow here so that particular job is still a few weeks off for me yet. Today is supposed to be sunny with a high of 37!! Yah baby! Where are my flip flops?

I also figured out yesterday that the Baja trailer is short by about 2, maybe 2.5 feet - rats, that is a nice trailer too. I had figured that it would be a little short and had a couple of easy mods in mind but that is just too much.

Er, ah....

Unless I want to move the axle and then weld up some....

Ah, never mind. Then I'd have to cut off the fenders/steps and move all that stuff.

No sweat, I have the tandem - it'll just take some work is all.

Cheers!

EDIT: Or, I could just add a couple of fee to the tongue, hmmmm.

Lil' Rhody

Seaman

I went back and forth for 2-3 months on which route to go (I/O or O/B) my 21' Sunchief and think you made the right choice although my transom cutout was for an older R drive and didn't need replacement. I explored every viable option and concluded the I/O route was best. I am presently right about where you are on my own restore but holding out until a string 50 degree days loom on the horizon. Another difference is that I'm going with a 3.0L Mercruiser...