1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Bummer about that crack yoop! Good that you found it now while you are still in rebuild mode.

Hey, I have been thinking the same thing as you about those spiral nails - I'll be watching how these guys answer and what you come up with buddy.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply Jas I'm glad I found it when it I did can't believe I never noticed it before.

Today I was planning to get some epoxy on back piece and last coat on transom but got distracted with the console. I want to epoxy edges and seams on it at the same time so started with a little sanding
100_1255.jpg

Decided to pull the seat off and run a round over bit on the edges with the router eventually there will be another piece on top of this with a cushion (I hope). I like rounded edges on plywood furniture seems to be a little more durable and resist chipping also easier on the legs etc...
100_1258.jpg

I rounded both sides and the front of that piece sanded a bit and decided I liked it so did the rest of the console as well.
100_1261.jpg

100_1263.jpg

100_1264.jpg

I basically rounded all the leading and trailing edges avoiding areas where the dash and seat attach etc..I also wanted to make all the holes for cables and such so i can hopefully get some epoxy in those as well . Control cables and wiring will just run down the outside made the hole big enough to route em easily figure I'll make a little aluminum cover for here at some point.
100_1266.jpg

I realize pictures of this console aren't the most exciting but I took a lot so posting em anyway.

yooperangler

Then I made a hole through shelf inside and another piece with a hole to keep small stuff from falling in this will provide access for steering and wiring.
100_1267.jpg

And started trying to clean up the aluminum dash panel (another distraction) sanded with 80,120,180,220, and 400
100_1270.jpg

100_1274.jpg

Not a mirror finish by any means but a few less scratches and good enough for Me :) Then I dug around and found all the stuff I want to put on this part of the dash. I had hopes the ship to shore would fit up here but no luck so it will go on the shelf I think.
100_1277.jpg

I had to run to the hardware for some more paint brushes so grabbed a couple hole saws the right size for gauges, some angle to fix knee brace and some other stuff while I was there. hole saws were a life saver clamped the dash to some plywood and cut really nice. The hole for cigarette lighter socket wasn't nearly as easy had to drill it out as big as possible then hack around with the jigsaw to get it big enough
100_1278.jpg

yooperangler

Then I stuck everything in temporarily as I still wanted to try buffing this up a little more ( worked on it for about an hour later on without any real improvement)
100_1280.jpg

I had picked up a piece of 1/8 by 2" flat to finish off the top a little better and provide a little shelter for the gauges cut it to length and checked it out.Works for me!
100_1281.jpg

100_1282.jpg

Pulled everything back off drilled the holes and mounted the top lip, drilled a hole for transponder cable, and temp mounted antennae
100_1287.jpg

Then it was time for honeydo's, hoping to get things cleaned up and finish sanding and do some epoxy tomorrow after work still need to figure out the windshield/pull up bar though so.........:)

Almost forgot I also made a piece of flat aluminum to fit the edge of the shelf so stuff doesn't fall off .
100_1286.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yooper, the console may not be exciting but it is progress made toward the end result. Actually, a nice console BTW. Those cracked knee braces seem to popping up regularly now. They seem to be one of the higher stress areas in a tin Starcraft, especially if the transom is flexing from rot.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good yooper, keep solving all my upcoming issues, lol. I think I have read your forum at least twice to try and catch the in's and out's.
CC looks good, I am pretty sure I will be using the original, but adding a bit of camo to it, lol.
I am going to try and get some pics of mine over the weekend and start the rebuilt.

So if I have this right the first thing is to remove CC, then the floor, save as much as possible for the pattern, although mine is in pretty ruff shape and remove the motor. All keeping in mind that I should try to keep the motor controls in tack. Great, sounds like fun...

Well, that is this weekends goal.

My goal is to have all the necessary rivets replaced and leak tested before the snowfalls.

Wayne

yooperangler

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping it all comes together ok starting to seem like it will be a bit cluttered but I think it will work out. Wanted to get some more sanding and epoxying done but had to do some stuff around the house getting the granddaughter for a couple days tomorrow evening so between Her and work doubt there will be any progress until Monday.

Triton II

Commander

Yoop, it's now Wednesday (well it is here anyway) any more progress? :p

Great job so far... it's really interesting to see everyone's take on building consoles etc. Yours looks to be solid as a brick built outhouse! :)

TII

yooperangler

Thanks Triton It's still only Tuesday here so I'm not to far behind :) No progress to report granddaughter wore me out only 9 months old and already to much for Me. Hoping to have some energy back tomorrow after work and off Thursday so should get something done. Glad You stopped in to prod Me a little I've been known to procrastinate:D

Triton II

Commander

Yes, I can't wait til one of my three boys presents me with a little one to spoil! Could be some time though as all seem more interested in playing the field rather than settling down! All good though! :D

I think we're all looking forward to seeing this thing finished - no pressure! :p

TII

yooperangler

Thanks for stopping in guys. Yeah Triton I am definitely looking forward to when She is old enough for the first salmon in the Mariner but it's been a lot of years since I had a squawking baby keep me up all night and still not as much fun as advertised:)

So thanks to Triton's prodding I got out to the garage yesterday after work, cleaned up some tools and messes, put away the guages and stuff, sanded the console again and got the first coat of epoxy on some of the edges and seams, last coat on transom and first coat on motor mounting piece thingy ( really need a name for that?) A few of those progress accountability pics.

First I had to pick it up where I could get to it (not light) and flipped it upside down I want to get a few coats on the bottom edges figure this area will be most likely to absorb water due to setting on a possibly damp floor. I think 2 coats will be more than enough for the other edges and seams keep in mind this will all get primed and paint as well.
100_1288.jpg

I mixed up a 4tbsp batch of epoxy that was enough for transom and back piece and a few of the edges on console then a second batch the same size was more than enough.
100_1293.jpg

100_1294.jpg

Edges of seat
100_1297.jpg

bottom of console
100_1299.jpg

yooperangler

Other side I got all the seams inside that I could all of these will get another coat then flip after bottom edges get third and do the rest.
100_1301.jpg

Then I took some measurements as I want to reuse the old grab handle/windshield mount bar for now. This console is about 6" narrower than original so I need to narrow this aproximately the same amount. So I cut 6" out of it. I'll weld it back together today hoping to get a piece of plexiglass to fit and drill and tap some holes for a windshield.
100_1302.jpg

100_1303.jpg

I don't know if I'll try painting this or just leave it as is as I think its galvanized and probably won't hold paint well anyway. I'll also leave the garge door open and wear My respirator as galvanized is icky stuff to weld ("icky" Is an official medical term and should not be used lightly:))

I count all of this as reassembly progress as the console is really the most labor and time intensive part of putting this thing back together. It also needs to be finished for a dry fit to measure steering length prior to permanently installing floor etc...

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good, insn't if funny how easy it is to tear things apart, but putting them back together is another story, lol.

Nice weld...

I didn't get a chance to start my resto last weekend. Apparently the girlfriend and have different priorities. Apparently I am to finish putting her kitchen back together before I get to start the boat project. Hopefully that is completed this weekend, so I can tear out the floor and save what is left of it.

Keep it going, looking forward to seeing the new console in it's final resting place.

Wayne

sprintst

Commander

Nice looking work man. You can build me a dash :)

yooperangler

Thanks guys for some reason the pictures look better than the reality:) I actually feel like I'm making forward progress today. I started by putting the 2nd coat on the console edges, seat and back transom piece.Then measured and cut some 1/8X1 1/4 angle to beef up the cracked flange on knee brace.
100_1306.jpg

I decided to make a second one and reinforce the other side as well just in case.I also cut an angle off the top edge to match the existing shape and leave room for the splashwell screw.
100_1307.jpg

I marked the angle of the knee brace on the inside edge and predrilled some holes I staggered the holes for strength only thing worth noting is I messed up and drilled the top hole on right one in the pic to close to angle so had to move out a bit with another hole.
100_1308.jpg

Then it was just a matter of clamping em in with some vice grips,drilling through, and FINALLY PUTTING SOME RIVETS IN!!!!
100_1309.jpg

I used 3/16X1/4" aluminum rivets and its rock solid I'm very happy to be popping em in instead of drilling them out for a change.
100_1310.jpg

yooperangler

Same thing for the other side I found having a pivoting head on the rivet gun handy working under here it made it alot easier to seat the rivets well.
100_1312.jpg

100_1313.jpg

Then I went outside and drilled the holes through for the bolts one thing off the list !!!
100_1314.jpg

I switched gears mixed up a really small batch of epoxy (4 tsps total) buttered the bow pieces and stuck srbd side to the center brace piece, screwed it together and stuck it in.
100_1315.jpg

Then I put epoxy on the other side lined everything up screwed it together as well and bolted everything in I noticed it still had some slight give in the middle if I put all my weight on it so decided to throughbolt it near center on each side of seem with stainless screws. I dont think the wood screws I used were quite long enough and didn't bite good enough for me but it's not going anywhere now:)
100_1316.jpg

Triton II

Commander

Great work Yooper! She's going to be bomb proof - the way you're putting her together, your grandaughter will still be using her in 50 years time! :)

TII