1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

tracker01

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

So yooper, I have been wondering what you are doing for a finished product for the CC. Mine had upholstery on it and I don't know how I feel about trying to replace it with new upholstery.

I have some material from my friend but i am not sure how well they will do for the CC.

Tracker

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Got back out there this afternoon and decided to deal with drilling the holes in the transom. I started out by dry fitting it again and marking all the holes also outlined splashwell and knee brace so I would remember what I was looking at once I took it out. I also marked a few spots along the upper edge I needed to trim a little for corners to fit
100_1162.jpg

I really wanted to use the old transom as an angle guide for drilling the holes but the knee brace holes were so goofy from one side to the other and each hole different I couldn't find a way to do this. I have given this a lot of thought and if things had been done with any accuracy to begin with wouldn't be difficult but I eventually decided to just put it back in the boat and free hand it.
100_1164.jpg

100_1165.jpg

The holes that concerned me most were the ones for the knee brace and the ones for corner braces on each side the rest are basically just holes through transom and don't need to line up inside with anything. So I clamped it in place and drilled the knee brace with an undersized bit approximately halfway from outside then went in and drilled outward.This worked really well and was able to do the same with the corner bolts then I just re drilled with the right size and happy with the way it turned out.
100_1166.jpg

The only one I had trouble with was top hole on port side as there isnt any room to drill from inside outward here (lucked out on strbd side) ended up a bit low on inside but close enough to see so just aimed a little higher and got it.
100_1168.jpg

Then I was able to drill out the rest of the holes with no problem. I used a 1" forstner bit for the splashwell drains. I centered it in the hole in aluminum and tipped the drill down (to give an upward angle from the outside) as far as it would go while still allowing the upper teeth on the bit to stay in the hole (probably 15 or 20 degrees)
100_1167.jpg

yooperangler

Then I had to try the drain tubes
100_1169.jpg

100_1170.jpg

100_1171.jpg

I was happy with the way they fit so I pulled it back out and trimmed the areas I had marked earlier and started on some of the sanding
100_1176.jpg

I also needed to cut a slight bevel here on each side to let the corners fit properly
100_1175.jpg

Busy day tomorrow but hoping to finish sanding and have at least one part ready for epoxy need to get the bow pieces figured out next and probably prime the inside soon.

yooperangler

So yooper, I have been wondering what you are doing for a finished product for the CC. Mine had upholstery on it and I don't know how I feel about trying to replace it with new upholstery.

I have some material from my friend but i am not sure how well they will do for the CC.

Tracker

My original console was covered with vinyl but I just plan to prime and paint mine with rusto whenever I start spraying, I may epoxy all the end grains or maybe just the bottom edges. I like the look of the vinyl or upholstery but for me its probably not worth the effort as this will be primarily a fishing boat and I will get hooks stuck where they shouldn't and use fillet knife where I shouldn't etc..... I have some lightish gray vinyl that will go on floor probably paint the console and seat boxes etc darker gray or blue for contrast. I also think with the paint I'll be able to tell easier if things are getting wet or need attention and repair or replacement will be easier and cheaper. I figure the console is less than one sheet of 3/4" aruco plywood a few screws and a little time not a major investment and if it lasts as long as original it will outlast Me :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well some people check for leaky rivets and buck them BEFORE the Gluvit but I guess your way will work too :p

Nice progress.

yooperangler

Well some people check for leaky rivets and buck them BEFORE the Gluvit but I guess your way will work too :p

Nice progress.

In my defense it never leaked until I put water in it:rolleyes: Look on the bright side if I did everything right by this point I wouldn't have anything to post but fish pics (good to look at ) and pics of Me in a speedo (not so good to look at):eek::)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice strategy on those knee brace holes...I've been plotting and scheming the best way to drill mine out, since they are all kattywampus from previous boat restorers.

Transom looks good, nice work yooper:)

yooperangler

Time for a break need to eat shower and nap (hopefully) before work so time to post a little progress. My main goals for today were to sand the transom (didn't do it) and figure out the bow area and get that stuff ready for epoxy. First I tried fitting the original bow support in and remembered what a pita it was to get out.
100_1179.jpg

I had previously made a plywood piece to replace the old substructure and needed to make the front brace to support this I decided the easiest way to go was make a duplicate and cut it in half to make installation easier. I just marked the middle and cut it at a 45 to hide the seam a bit.
100_1180.jpg

Then I tried a quick dry fit and marked the holes through angles that support the ends.
100_1181.jpg

100_1182.jpg

Took it back outside and drilled the holes made a backer piece to hold it all together and provide a lip for plywood to sit on inside. Made this a little oversized to overhang bottom edge about 1" so I could fasten a lower panel on it to enclose that part of bow.
100_1184.jpg

100_1187.jpg

yooperangler

I countersunk screw holes where I'll need em , stuck a couple screws from back to one end to make it easier to line up then stuck it back in lined up the pieces stuck a couple screws in for now and I'm happy.
100_1189.jpg

Then I stuck the bow platform in to decide what to do with it. I never liked how much room it took up so wanted to downsize a little and incorporate some seating up here.
100_1191.jpg

Made a panel to fill in the bow so I could get an idea what I wanted to do with the rest of it. Cut a hole for storage in the middle of it just the right size for what I need it for .
100_1193.jpg

100_1195.jpg

I had ordered a few of these flotation cushions from cabelas bargain cave a while ago. I used the cushion as a rough guide to see how much I wanted to cut out of the platform then marked it out with a tape measure and straight edge
100_1196.jpg

100_1197.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The bow piece is looking good, that area can be used to house some Plano boxes so you don't run out of lures to wash in Lake Superior;)

yooperangler

Took it back out cut it and fit it back in
100_1198.jpg

I saved the piece I cut out in case I decide to put a pedestal and seat on it for a removable bow fishin spot. This is the basic Idea for now maybe a custom cushion for here someday but should seat a few people comfortably for now.

100_1199.jpg

Then I stuck the cushions in the little hidey hole to make sure they would fit plenty of room for them and a couple life jackets or whatever size of hole should make it nearly impossible for these to blow out in transit.
100_1200.jpg

Now all I need to do here is figure out how to fill in between the gunwales and platform and between platform and floor .

yooperangler

The bow piece is looking good, that area can be used to house some Plano boxes so you don't run out of lures to wash in Lake Superior;)

Yeah HA I have a few of those flat boxes that will fit in there nicely as well.

yooperangler

Not much progress B.I.L.'s bought a nice Bayliner trophy so spent most of the weekend trying her out hoping we can do some fishing on the next trip.:) I did get the transom and bow pieces back out sanded and started with the US composites epoxy I found it to be a nice product to work with although I did mix a little too much or work to slowly on My first try . I mixed a total of 8 oz and still had an ounce or so left when it decided to harden up. I got one coat on one side of the transom and the plywood for bow cover started on part of the bow support brace when it hardened up so that piece will need a lot of sanding.:eek::facepalm: I just went out and checked and everything seems reasonably dry so I'll flip em over and do the other side now I'll post up some pics later or tomorrow.:cool:

yooperangler

Got the other side of transom and bow cover and first side on the bow supports did all the edges at the same time so second coat on some of those. First pic shows the epoxy and the measuring cups from the dollar store. I went with 6oz resin to 2oz hardener for the 3 to 1 ratio. I ended up using the same amount today as smallest measure on cups was 2 oz. I have since googled and discovered 2 tbsp = 1oz for future smaller batches.
100_1201.jpg

I had sanded everything yesterday and put the first coat on some of it. a couple before pics
100_1202.jpg

100_1203.jpg

I think it was Ha who suggested this for mixing just a plastic spoon in My cordless drill worked great had to trim a little off the spoon handle to get it in the chuck.
100_1204.jpg

I found the epoxy to be easy enough to brush on and used a small artists brush to coat the inside of all the holes.
100_1205.jpg

This is where I ended up today both of these have the first coat on each side. I was very happy with the way the epoxy hardened overnight hoping to do a little sanding and second coat day after tomorrow. I might be able to do it tomorrow but have plenty of other stuff to work on so an extra day won't hurt.
100_1210.jpg

yooperangler

One of these has both sides coated the others are first side as my epoxy hardened up yesterday before I could get em all . Today I used the same amount just worked faster and avoided distractions.
100_1212.jpg

I had a little left over so I put it in the bow figure it can't hurt and will probably seal my little leak here.
100_1215.jpg

I did switch to a small metal container today as the plastic one I used yesterday got really hot and melted a bit when the epoxy hardened in it.
100_1216.jpg

I guess that's all for today I need to do some honeydo's and get ready for work.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice progress Yooper, the resin can be tricky at first but it sounds like you've got it dialed in:)

Glad my redneck resin mixer works, give it a good while and it helps the resin cure quickly.

Work always seems to get in the way.:D

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Newbie here, just checking things out, especially since, I just purchased a 1978, 18' starcraft mariner. I purchased it in the states and brought it to Ontario.

My hat is off to you, great job and nice to see that you have lots of patience on the construction. As far as I can tell, I should be able to do all the boat work, unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined to work on the motor itself. At first I was just going to do the quick and easy rebuild, quick paint, floor and transom. But after I brought the boat home and looked at it a bit closer, and looked at some of these threads, I need to replace the pretty much the same stuff as you and I do plan on keeping it for some time, so, since it will be all apart, might as well do it all at once, and do it right.

The only difference is, I know I will rebuilt it the same way as it stands, and my plans for the boat is duck hunting and for fishing (Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie). So my colors are pretty simple, lol.

Thanks again for maintaining this thread, I plan on keeping an eye on this to keep me inspired. Okay, I will admit for more tricks and tips, lol

Keep up the great work.

Here is a pic of my new project. Maybe I will start a thread like this as well.

FRONTVIEW.jpgREARVIEW.jpg

Thanks again

Wayne

yooperangler

Thanks for stopping in Guys:)

HA "redneck resin mixer" almost sounds like a good name for a boat or at least a late night infomercial :D

Starcrazy thanks for the compliments and for reading through this carp:D As far as the "patience on the construction " I'm just naturally slow, and spend at least 3 times as much time thinking as I spend doing and still end up doing stuff over:cool: That's a really nice looking Mariner You have there get a thread started so we can watch Your progress. Lots of great folks on here with a ton of information and threads a lot more inspiring than mine but that won't stop me from visiting yours :rolleyes: Good luck on the rebuild looking forward to seeing it.

yooperangler

Just a quick update checked the epoxy yesterday and decided it was best to leave it another day.Started out this morning giving everything a quick sanding. Pulled the pieces outside and hit em with some 80 grit just to even out some globulization due to My inability to work a paint brush properly:facepalm:Then a quick once over with some finer stuff blew em off with the air hose and wiped em down with a damp cloth.
100_1217.jpg

Then I put on another coat of epoxy . The bow cover piece should be done after this coat other side will get last coat after installed transom needs one more on this side two more on other side.
100_1220.jpg

I had some left over again so I decided to coat the outside of this seam on the bow then I dumped what was left inside again. No way this should leak now not sure if it would have been best to coat the outside before the zc or not as I haven't done any research on this epoxies ability to adhere to bare aluminum.I'll coat the outside again next time and call it good.
100_1219.jpg

Now for a question. When I took this apart the knee brace bolts went through that extra plywood piece between motor and transom. I'm curious if this was original or a PO modification ? I know some people eliminate that piece entirely but in this case outside of stern is pretty ugly so figure its best to cover it up.I'm guessing this is the way it was done originally as those bolt holes are drilled so crooked between knee braces and stern only way bolts will look halfway flush on outside is to sink em in some plywood. Any thoughts are appreciated thanks.

100_0598.jpg