1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Yooper I have the same issues on my knee brace holes.:(

Not sure what I'm gonna do when we cross that bridge.

I'm guessing that some JB weld will be involved, and also lots of 5200.:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just delt with the same issue on my transom. I posted pics on my resto thread recently showing what I did. Countersunk the holes in the back wooden piece so the tops of the bolts are flush. My knee brace holes were large due to the bolt heads that pulled completely through so I made 2 stainless plates one for each side that cover the entire flange. The hole spacing looks like crap on the outside but the PT&T on the motor will cover that up. All bolts are set with 5200 and here is my method for that. When the bolt is 1/2" from all the way in I shmeered 5200 around the shank with a small artist paint brush. I did the same on the threaded end after I got the nut started. Wipe the excess while its wet or you'll never get it all off!

Don't kick yourself on that epoxy job buddy. It looks great!!!

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess My plan will be to stick with the way it was and be like Mike:) No progress today but I have figured out photobucket has photo editing so been playing around with that a little no skills for this stuff but still trying to decide on color scheme one choice would be royal blue stripe and bottom something like this .
100_0041-2.jpg

Another choice since there are so many blue and white resto's is to use the gray I have for interior sides on bottom not sure if I can pull off 3 colors on this boat but would be a compromise on the black vs white bottom issue and I kind of like the idea.
100_0041-2-1.jpg

I'm hoping when I actually paint it the lines will come out a bit straighter but you get the idea.:D I'm leaning toward the gray bottom at the moment I think. All thoughts and comments are welcome thanks.

yooperangler

Forgot to mention I did get another coat of epoxy on everything so a little progress back of transom should be done as well as bow brace pieces so getting close to putting the bow back together:):D:cool:

yooperangler

Sanded everything down again yesterday and got the 2nd coat on front side of transom and finished on the bow pieces (decided a little more couldn't hurt ) took a total of 4 tbsp's of the epoxy so happy with how well that stuff covers. Hoping I still have enough for the floor etc.. with the two gallon kit. Off tomorrow and weds so should get the transom finished, some scratches filled, make the piece for between motor and transom and start epoxy on it etc.. More ZC came yesterday so hoping to get this girl ready to flip in the next week or so..

No replies recently so guessing My photo editing skills and paint job suggestions have made folks speechless:cool:

yooperangler

Since nobody likes stripes maybe spots is the way to go ?:)

100_0041-1-1-1.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

No replies recently so guessing My photo editing skills and paint job suggestions have made folks speechless:cool:

Don't quit your day job...:D

I think 3 colors is do-able, unless your serious about the clouds......

yooperangler

Don't quit your day job...:D

I think 3 colors is do-able, unless your serious about the clouds......

Thanks for the reply DJ glad to know someone is still reading this thread:) I'm really leaning toward the 3 colors at the moment (although the cow spots/ clouds have potential :D) I think the top blue stripe will be narrower than in my awesome edited pic probably just the width of one lap to leave enough blue for white or gray decals. I haven't had any photo editing job offers yet but not ruling anything out at this point :cool:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey Yoop, sorry I've been gone fishin' :D

Tell ya what, between you and Jason I'm not sure who is more skilled on the photo shop paint schemes.

I like the grey for the bottom of the hull, should match the dreary Michigan sky on most days so the fish won't notice the boat while you're fishing and drinking pops on the surface;)

yooperangler

Hey Yoop, sorry I've been gone fishin' :D

Tell ya what, between you and Jason I'm not sure who is more skilled on the photo shop paint schemes.

I like the grey for the bottom of the hull, should match the dreary Michigan sky on most days so the fish won't notice the boat while you're fishing and drinking pops on the surface;)

Thanks for the reply Ha if I'm drinkin pop there's something wrong:)

No progress but forgot to post pics of what the ups guy brought the other day a little early to need these yet but found em in cabelas bargain cave for 49.99 pretty happy with the way they look for the price probably won't know how well they work until next year. I picked up 2 of these 8' 6" trolling rods for now.

100_1224.jpg

100_1225.jpg

100_1227.jpg

Probably won't hold up for the extreme fisherman but might be good enough for me

Huron Angler

Admiral

Having some brand-new trolling rods laying around should go a long way to motivate you to finish up:D

I know once I have a new motor ready to go it's gonna light a fire under me!

Hoping you can get some late October salmon trolling going, won't even need to bring ice to keep the beer cold;)

yooperangler

LOL I see it too:) Didn't realize I was conducting one of those ink blot tests when I posted it. Everyone lay down on the couch look at the spots and tell me what You see ;)

yooperangler

Hoping you can get some late October salmon trolling going, won't even need to bring ice to keep the beer cold

Still hoping but hope is fading bow season keeps getting closer and from October to mid December I am hard to find:)

yooperangler

Started out this morning planning to get last coat on transom so pulled all the pieces out and gave em a quick roughing up with some 400 grit. Wanted to make the rear piece between transom and motor and start epoxy on that as well but needed room so decided to do some more prep work on the boat. The little snap holes I had filled with Jb needed some more sanding so I started there sanded it back down to bare metal in the process.....
100_1229.jpg

I sprayed em with ZC again, did some more cleanup inside the boat , decided to cut about an inch off the rod holder brackets as they hit on the floor during removal then shoved her out of the garage hoping next time it comes in it will be upside down.
100_1230.jpg

100_1231.jpg

I decided to scrub it down with some 400 grit and pressure wash one more time to try to get rid of the fuzziness I got from first coat of zc. This helped but I found edges of laps and a few other areas didn't tolerate well :facepalm: And the ZC didn't seem nearly as durable as original. Did seem to even things out a bit though.
100_1232.jpg

In this pic you can see how the ZC came off the edges with just a light scrubbing with the 400 grit I am sooo NOT impressed with this seems to hold ok on most of the flats though.
100_1234.jpg

yooperangler

I took one final pic as I was heading in need to think about this a bit perhaps I'm expecting to much from this stuff but seems it should stick better. Looks pretty good from a distance dogs seem to like it anyway time for some food and beer not necessarily in that order.:cool::(:facepalm:
100_1238.jpg

yooperangler

Ok thought about it for a few beers went back out and sprayed some more ZC on the light spots (pretty much the whole thing) This took about 2 1/2 cans of the 6 I just got so should still have enough for the bottom. I don't know what the problem was with the first 8 cans but these ones seem to work much better.
100_1239.jpg

100_1240.jpg

Then I finally got around to doing what I planned on doing. Another sheet of 1/2" aruco (looks like I'll have some of this left over) I just traced it out with a sharpie kind of guestimating the rough edges and cut it out with the jig saw.
100_1241.jpg

100_1242.jpg

Then I clamped the two pieces together and drilled the holes .
100_1243.jpg

I gave it a quick sanding and at this point I was pretty happy.
100_1244.jpg

yooperangler

I took it outside and stuck a couple bolts in it for a dry fit all the holes seem to line up so good news there but.....while I was putting the bolts in I noticed a slight wiggle at top starboard side of flange on knee brace and discovered it was cracked about 2 inches long :facepalm:
100_1252.jpg

I'll need to add a piece of angle along the side of knee brace to reinforce the flange. Heres the dry fit pic.
100_1245.jpg

This is the reason I decided to reinstall this piece knee brace bolts are drilled so crooked no way they will come out flush without sinking em in plywood.
100_1249.jpg

So a little forward progress and a lot of backwards progress some day it will go back together :D

I plan on putting the transom in before flipping and wondering if I should prime and paint the stern before installing that outside piece? I plan on sealing it with 5200 and not sure if it will work better on just the zc or over paint? I'm also wondering what's the best way to reinstall the transom cap ? originally had little steel spiral shank nails but don't like that idea ( a long way to go before that goes on ). Hopefully more progress later :)