1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

Your paint work looks fantastic!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, EZ... All I did was pick the colors and went with the Awl Grip... Pete did the rest. Wait to you see the recovered Cypress wood I am using for the dash and shelf - it is truly off the hook! I am waiting to post those pics until the pieces are installed...

Honestly, the motor is now the #1 issue... I can use what I have now, but know it really needs an upgrade to handle the electronics... Since it's the Winter, I may not have to make the decision immediately... Not wanting to mount a motor, only to replace it soon after...

Jonny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think any outboards have heavy duty charging systems do they? I could be wrong. I think it's standard operating procedure to run multiple batteries and have an onboard charger at home. The outboard just helps keep its starting battery topped off.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not an expert on this at all, but from what I understand, the current motor only creates about 6 amps when running full, modern motors can be upwards of 20-30 amps... The drain on the system - in relation to the about of amps created, is not very good with my configuration. I am considering a 3rd battery for the stereo only, with a charger that can be hooked up directly to an AC power cord... I am told to absolutely not have any AC power going through the other batteries due to the aluminum hull, as this can have and adverse reaction in the salt water and damage things quite quickly... The learning curve is interesting, and I welcome any thoughts or suggestions... Thanks!

Jonny

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I am told to absolutely not have any AC power going through the other batteries due to the aluminum hull, as this can have and adverse reaction in the salt water and damage things quite quickly... Jonny
Jonny - Connections to shorepower are done all the time, but they must be done properly with respect to possible corrosion as well as safety. I have not had any saltwater experience - so take this with a grain of salt! If your vessel is connected for long periods dockside, next to other boats also connected to shorepower, your vessel is subject to damage if your neighbor's system is not properly wired. An aluminum hull in water creates an unavoidable path to "ground", which also becomes a common point with your neighbor. Any leakage current from a failing component that does not outright blow a fuse or trip a breaker could bleed current back to its source through any and all paths including through the water between the boats and back through your ground conductor as well as your neighbor's ground conductor. This sustained current can cause severe corrosion.
If your boat will sit in the water connected to shore power, you should terminate the shore cable at a 1:1 isolation transformer on your boat. Don't "bond" your metal hull to the shore power ground conductor. By doing this, your neighbor's leakage can't travel through your hull. The isloation transformer provides you with an electrical system that has no potential voltage connection to the shore power which means that any stray electruic currents from any of your failing components has no desire to travel through your hull to the water, either. - Grandad

barato2

Commander

so, IOW, you could more than double your amperage by adding one PV panel to charge your house batteries? and no worries about galvanic corrosion. cheaper than a new motor. just a thought.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

Wow! That is looking incredible. I am proud of my paint job but you definitly took it up a notch! Nicely done.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it's been a while and things are progressing, though with Winter upon us, there is no rush...

What's left to do? I am still considering a new motor (due to the problem of charging the batteries with minimal amps coming from the old motor). The interior side panels and dash top are being re-upholstered and seats need to be ordered, and finally, the Bimini top needs to be measured and made...

Here are a few recent photos...

The Dash (as well as the side bolsters), is made of Recovered Cypress wood from the Cape Fear River... I'm very happy with the look and workmanship. I have not cut any holes in the dash and won't until a decision is made on the motor...

The paint job came out great and Raptor Liner was a great choice!

We cut in a "view window" to have an easy way to check the gas gauge...

I ordered the Starcraft Logo online and asked for the Silver Arrow, which ties in nicely with the paint...

Hope all is well with everyone and Happy Holidays.

Jonny

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Your paint job makes me envious. As for your charging problem, a couple years ago on my crestliner with an 84 Johnson 40hp. engine, I had a piece, looked like a big diode was going out. Instead of charging the normal about 20 amps, I was getting about 1 1/2 amp. No fun when everything goes dead about 5 or 6 miles from the dock. I replaced that piece and it was back to charging 20 amp again. Can't think of the name, but I thought it was a spendy part. A good Johnson part guy could tell you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Rectifier. Wasn't spendy on my motor.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That's the name. My mind is getting weak I think. As for how spendy, I guess it depends on what you're used to spending, and what you are expecting. Don't remember what I paid, thinking over a hundred for that tiny thing, but it was worth it as it fixed my problem and was easy to install.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yeah mine was only like 30 and that was from an evinrude dealer!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

More paint pics please! Absolutely Phenomenal!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't wait to see the finished Holiday, jonny. Exquisite work, my man!:)

shark1600

Cadet

Really nice, like the wood work.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice paint and woodwork! Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

KH5V0021.jpgKH5V0025.jpgKH5V0033.jpgKH5V0040.jpgKH5V0055.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone... Not too much has changed, as Winter has slowed things down quite a bit. The upholstery work is being done and I'm about to get some parts re-chromed. For the most part, the boat is wired and ready to go. Again, the big issue/question is old motor or new motor... Obviously, a big cost is involved... Anyway, I moved the boat to another storage area and it was the first time I've seen the paint job in the sunlight (although the boat is pretty dusty), so here are a few pics...

All the best,

Jonny

barato2

Commander

that boat is absolutely beeyootiful!

did i miss the hatch removal or did your boat never have the forward hatch?