1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1974 21' Starcraft Holiday (first time boat owner)

EZ, thanks for the reply... I have to say, I just read the entire thread on your 18' SS restoration and am blown away. The work you did was amazing and gave me some great ideas...

Excellent work!

A question... I'm in the market for new seats (2 sets of Back-to-Back lounge seats), and really like the style you have. Can you let me know what model # they are, please? Also, how does one go about finding the specs or measurements for a new Bimini top for my boat?

Thanks!

Jonny

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Me and EZ don't agree on motor design but we do agree on Nautolex = 4 thumbs up!

64osby

Admiral

Jonny, You have a great boat. I would love to see more pics of the back seat and how it folds out and down? Do you have the sliding doors in back.

I have found my "Jetson light" is great but I have to put a bucket out to block the light when I'm fishing at night. It blinds me.

Good luck on your project.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much, 64... I did not have any sliding doors behind the bench seat, perhaps my Father-In-Law took them out? I'll have to look... While the pictures of the bench seat looks like it folds out and down the bottom just comes up and I have it leaning against the box. So, there is now mechanism for an out-and-down movement for the seat. Happy to shoot more angles for you next week if you'd like.

On the "Jetson light", I am trying hard to find one, as I am looking to keep the boat as authentic as possible... I say that, yet I'm putting in new seats, new floor covering, wiring for 2 batteries and creating more amps for electronics, etc... Anyway, the light is very cool looking and I hope to find one.

Starcrafter65, I am leaning towards the Nautolex myself, but have been advised to look into the Raptor Liner... Any thoughts on this product and perhaps some pros and cons? I open this question to anyone...

Thanks so much!

Jonny

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Keep checking eBay for that light Jonny. Very rare but they do pop up now and then.

If you are trying to stay sort of original be sure to check out wrfalpacas Ski Champ project. Different flavor than what you have but very cool!

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Jason...

Just checked out your restoration thread on the 76' SI... Wow, you did amazing work... A tremendous project...

I also went through wrfalpacas Ski Champ project as suggested and was blown away... I had been researching color pallets for the early 70's, so I'm excited to dig in!

I'm checking ebay daily...

I'll be posting more pics mid-week!

Jonny

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Starcrafter65, I am leaning towards the Nautolex myself, but have been advised to look into the Raptor Liner... Any thoughts on this product and perhaps some pros and cons? I open this question to anyone...

Thanks so much!

Jonny

I am not sure about the spray stuff. Here is what I think - My father in law has restored several boats - we were talking about marine plywood vs exterior ply fiberglassed...he said "Well.....it is a boat..." Point being - there are products built especially for boats (like marine plywood)....the Nautolex is great stuff - it is cheap and durable and relatively easy to install.....almost like it was made exactly for the floor of a boat!!

www.defender.com has it -

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Hey y'all... It's been a while, but I have a few new pics to post... Peter and Tony, the guys who are guiding me and doing great work on the boat, have been really excited with the project. We had Irene come through, but made it just fine... So, some of the ply was needing replacement, other pieces were fine. The foam was fine as well, although 2 rats from PA mad the trip to NC and were surprised to find that they would need a new home. Unfortunately for them, snakes are abound outside the shop doors. I don't think they made it too long in the South... As for the boat, things are checking out real well. We are sanding and priming, as you can see. The integrity of the Hull and rivets are in excellent shape. She will start getting some paint in the next few weeks... Then a full electrical job, some finishing woodwork (I have something special planned for the dash and shelf)...

Again, thanks for all your insight and suggestions... It's very helpful and welcome.

Best,

Jonny

Attachments

• IMG_9252.jpg
    IMG_9252.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9254.jpg
    IMG_9254.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9251.jpg
    IMG_9251.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9246.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

A few more... The new Transom is in and I'm glad we did it... 2 old photos, just not sure I posted before.

Thanks!

Jonny

Attachments

• IMG_9144.jpg
    IMG_9144.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9131.jpg
    IMG_9131.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9235.jpg
    IMG_9235.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9239.jpg
    IMG_9239.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice progress.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, EZ... I can not wait for the next couple of months... I've gone from not really interested in wanting a boat to really loving the restoration process...

And the boat itself is really, really nice. I would have never thought that I would own a boat in my lifetime... I am very lucky my wife pushed for it!

More to come...

Jonny

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looking good, jonny. About those rats, I better check my new to me SC. I know I imported some Mud Daubers!

64osby

Admiral

Rats, yea let the snakes get em. I know I had a mouse on board might still have him, but it's still just a Michigan mouse. If he's still around the cats will get him sooner or later.

Glad your enjoying the restoration. Just wait till she's done and splashed. And a big :D to your wife for pushing you to a Starcraft.

Nice job fixing her, very cool boat.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great progress You guys are flying.

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Y'all...

No new pics right now, as the boat is waiting for soda blasting and bottom painting.

In the meantime, I have been spending tons of time reading and researching this great and informative forum. I really want to thank all who take the time to post here, as it has been a great resource for me. Now, of course, all that information has provided me with many thoughts/options, as I approach the next steps in the process.

So, I thought I would throw out there some things I'm thinking about...

1) Color - we decided to keep it simple and clean, so (for now), it will be a nice blue and white paint scheme. This seems to dovetail well with some seats we have seen - the Wise Back-to-Back Deluxe Lounge seats. Let me know if anyone has alternate seat manufacturer choices, thought is seems they are the "goto" choice. I will have my work cut out for me on the upholstry for the bench seat...

2) GPS/Chart Finder - I've been looking at the Garmin 441. It's on sale and looks like it will fit nicely flush-mounted in the dash...

3) Jetson Stern Light - still on the hunt for this. Have seen a few on line, but not sure about price and/or authenticity to the Starcraft boat. Were these manufactured specifically for Starcraft, as I have seen some for Chris Craft boats?

4) Bimini Top - I have the old one, so I am looking at getting it measured and a new one made for the boat.

5) Going with a 2 battery system, as well as 2 bildge pumps for redundancy. I am also installing a 12V power outlet.

6) Flooring - we are 90% sure going with a marine vinyl flooring (ie Nautolex), but I still want to see the Raptor Liner - just to make an informed decision...

I'm sure there's lots more, but that's where I'm at. Please feel free to offer any opinions or suggestions... They are welcome.

Thanks!

Jonny

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I am partial to blue and white myself!

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a plan to Me. I think most color choices look good on these old boats ,I bought elcheapo seats cuz I am, I think Ezmobee linked an eagle gps fish finder that He said worked well (I had already bought a little hummingbird fish finder so too late for Me).Only thing I know about the Jetsons is how George feels after the wife and kids get ahold of his wallet other than that I can't help. My bimini is busted and beyond repair so will be looking at a new one someday Ez linked one of those as well I think. 2 batteries is the way to go I prefer the 1 bilge pump with a coffee can backup Myself :)

barato2

Commander

i realize this is probably well below the price/capability range you're looking in for depthfinder/chartplotter, but i also have one of those Eagle fishfinder/GPS units like EZ does. it's limited in depth range (won't read much below 400-450') and has small screen (esp if you try to split screen to get both fishfinder and GPS...becomes near useless then) but mine was SUBMERGED IN SALT WATER FOR SEVERAL HOURS (didn't pull boat far enough above high tide line, swamped by waves in the night) and still works like the day i bought it. so for anyone looking for a small cheap unit for their little tinboat, esp if they plan to be out in bad weather, i'd give it a pretty high rating

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

i realize this is probably well below the price/capability range you're looking in for depthfinder/chartplotter, but i also have one of those Eagle fishfinder/GPS units like EZ does. it's limited in depth range (won't read much below 400-450') and has small screen (esp if you try to split screen to get both fishfinder and GPS...becomes near useless then) but mine was SUBMERGED IN SALT WATER FOR SEVERAL HOURS (didn't pull boat far enough above high tide line, swamped by waves in the night) and still works like the day i bought it. so for anyone looking for a small cheap unit for their little tinboat, esp if they plan to be out in bad weather, i'd give it a pretty high rating

I agree with the split screens being useless..Its either one or the other..BUT...Thanks for sharing the ruggedness of the unit B2!