1973 wellcraft 165 sport airslot project w/ pics

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 wellcraft 165 sport airslot project w/ pics

Yeah, I personally didnt feel the need to glass mine. One, the glass on the hull is more than a half inch thick:eek: and mine will be accesible once I cut a anchor locker into the bow seat area so if the PT does start to decay for some reason it will be an easy fix. I also drowned the area under the wood with 5200 which I am told is PERMANENT! So, if it does need replacing, guess its time to get a new boat...

OK, I am out to the garage to try to figure out how to use this damned foam under the deck, then I will PL the deck ply down. Wish me luck. I will of course throw up some pics and a write up when I come in tonight. Later.

chrishayes

Ok, word of advice that I havent heard much of. 3M 5200 does not cure fast...at all. I applied it last night and it is still wet about 24 hours later. I went back and dug the directions out of the trash and it says that it gets TACKY after 48 hours:eek: Tacky, hell, how long does it take to get rock hard? Good thing I didnt have plans to be boating this weekend...yeah right.

chrishayes

question, ok, this is all that I have. Is this enough to even matter? It is 1/2" thick and the forward amount is 8 sheets thick and 4' long. The rear 2 sections are only 4 sheets thick and 4' long. I dont think I want to use it. ANyone? Oh, and I am NOT going to go buy more.

boat083.jpg

boat082.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to agree with you, does not look like it will do anything.

chrishayes

when I tore up the original floor there were only a few like maybe 10-15 4' long by 4" wide by 4" tall logs of foam under there. I would imagine what I have now in there is about what it had stock. I just dont want to use it. I hate that thought of it being under there. I am really against it. But if it will help, then...

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just from looking at the pics, it does not look like it would help that much at all...but you may be happier to just keep it in there if you just made it look a little more uniform in size up front.;) I know how neat you like things and the OCD has to be kicking in...

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know what I think.....;)

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

http://www.jgreer.com/Foam Page.htm

I would consider going with this since you already have so much money and time in this project.It won't add much cost and will give you piece of mind.They can help you calculate how much you need.If it foams up over the stringers,just use a hand saw to cut it down flush.It will also help support your decking/floor.

chrishayes

http://www.jgreer.com/Foam Page.htm

I would consider going with this since you already have so much money and time in this project.It won't add much cost and will give you piece of mind.They can help you calculate how much you need.If it foams up over the stringers,just use a hand saw to cut it down flush.It will also help support your decking/floor.

absolutely not! no offense intended.

chrishayes

Just from looking at the pics, it does not look like it would help that much at all...but you may be happier to just keep it in there if you just made it look a little more uniform in size up front.;) I know how neat you like things and the OCD has to be kicking in...

Oh no doubt. I had no intensions of installing it that way. THat was just to cut it to the correct width and to see how much I would have. There is more than it looks in pictures but.. The only thing I can think of doing that wouldnt always make me wonder whats happening below deck is to cut them into a thick brick so they can be glassed down to the hull with a few strips of light cloth. I tested some epoxy on it and it doesnt affect it at all.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Chris,
your project is looking great!
I personally would leave it out, 4" thick in the front and 2" in the rear doesn't look like it would do much if anything. If you where looking at it srictly for sound attenuation and not flotation there is much better stuff out there

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

question, ok, this is all that I have. Is this enough to even matter?

boat082.jpg

I have no idea how much foam is needed to keep a boat afloat when swamped, but I will say that is a giant waste of some awesome forward storage. Those two front bays could easily make nice coolers or simply storage. Before putting the deck on, I would consider cutting out two doors into those areas and added a flange on the bottom and a hinge. Boom, two storage pockets.

chrishayes

I have no idea how much foam is needed to keep a boat afloat when swamped, but I will say that is a giant waste of some awesome forward storage. Those two front bays could easily make nice coolers or simply storage. Before putting the deck on, I would consider cutting out two doors into those areas and added a flange on the bottom and a hinge. Boom, two storage pockets.

Oh Lowkee, I thought the same thing but unfortunatley that cant happen. THe bow seat walkthru is right on top of them. I am going to give it a try though. If I can get a door in that will allow space to put things in I will do it. But, I am not too optimistic.

chrishayes

Foam is out. My gut says no and the wife says to go with my gut. She makes a good point that where we boat the average depth is 5' and we are never more than 300' from a shore so if we sink, just stand up and swim. We always have PFD's at hand and the baby will not be anywhere near the boat until it is old enough to be in a life jacket.

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There you go! So glad you decided not to use it. Even though it's not my boat, and I'll probably never see it in person.

Have you thought any more about the paint? I've seen pictures of your boat on some other Airslot website (or at least it looked like yours) and the paint looked pretty good.

tallcanadian

Captain

Did I miss something or are there not any drain holes going from compartment to compartment? Or perhaps you weren't going to put any in there.

chrishayes

Did I miss something or are there not any drain holes going from compartment to compartment? Or perhaps you weren't going to put any in there.

Oh no, ther ARE drain holes a plenty. No place on my boat will be able to collect water period.

chrishayes

There you go! So glad you decided not to use it. Even though it's not my boat, and I'll probably never see it in person.

Have you thought any more about the paint? I've seen pictures of your boat on some other Airslot website (or at least it looked like yours) and the paint looked pretty good.

Yeah, thats my boat, before I owned it. The paint is the same. It really is not in terrible shape at all. That is why I have been hesitant to paint it. If it were original then I would paint it for sure. But, someone has gone over it with a decent paint however, it is just blah white and has sticker graphics that are rather 80's. I am not thrilled with it and the wife says that if I dont paint it that I am a moron. After all the work and money she feels that in the end that this needs to be a "new" boat. Besides it is chipped and flaking in a few spots not to mention the beaching wear on the keel. If the boat were usable and I didnt have to put all this work in it, I would definately not paint it but really, since everything else will be new and shiny it would kinda all be a waste of time if I didnt paint it...

chrishayes

Oh, and I did use "some" foam. I filled the two spaces beside the fuel tank and to the sides of the bilge. I figure this could help with the heavy engine not to mention, there is a ton of foam in the cap in the bow area so this should be enough to keep her from totally sinking. It was a good compromise. At least I think. I will get around to posting pics later tonight. Gotta go spend 3 hours mowing. I swear, the only thing I like about winter is that the grass doesnt grow!

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yes, Chris has drain holes for his drain holes, with pvc pipe inserts cut out and epoxied in to keep any chance of seepage out of the wood, drainage should never be a problem on his boat... Not to mention its strong enough to do the boat jump in 007's "Live and Let Die movie"...:cool: