Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 wellcraft 165 sport airslot project w/ pics

Dude congrats!

How is everyone doing?
Terry

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome! You guys really beat the odds. Congrats to you and your trooper of a wife. What an ordeal. (I had to go back read you last post to recollect the exact circumstances). Glad to have you back.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats to you and your wife. What a beautiful baby you have.

redfury

Commander

Well, now you really have a reason to get that boat finished!

Congrats! Raising a kid is a great experience. Sometimes it can get a little unnerving, but in the end, it's worth it.

Take a long hard look at your boy now, he'll be a man before you know it, and you'll both be out on that boat talkin' about the hooters girls and catchin' fish. :D

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, now you really have a reason to get that boat finished!

Thanks Red. dont know, its hard to see my boat ever getting done the way things have been going since last summer...But man will it be an accomplishment once finished!

I just got done looking through your thread and I was so glad to see you working! We are at the same place in our builds now except my deck pieces are already cut and glassed on the underside. Its interesting to see that you have the same problem as I do with the stringer height. What a PITA huh? Last year when I found that out thats when I threw in the towel for the year! ALL that work getting 2 wraps of 1708 up and over the stringer without air bubbles and now I gotta cut the top off it! screw that!

I had envisioned building up the hull instead of cutting the top off the stringer, thats how bad it eerked me to even think of doing such a thing. But now that I have had the past year to think about it, I will just do the same as you and scribe it and cut it...then try to wrap it again:rolleyes:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congratulations on the new little guy:)

Reading what you've gone thru makes having our two boys feel like a walk in the park, very glad it all worked out for ya!

Just wait until you get to watch him catch his first fish on a boat that you built:D

redfury

Commander

Y'know what Chris, I said the hell with wrapping the stringer again. I capped it with some CSM and I literally just got in after blowing through 3/4th of a gallon of resin and 1708 run up the sides and across the bottom of my hull between the three stringers. It was certainly a chore to lay out that much glass all at once! The temp is decent but the humidity is up there so it was uncomfortable, but now I can start worrying about the deck! I will get it on by end of summer...that much is certain. Once that is done, then I can really get to rocking on the boat because everything I do from then isn't temperature sensitive!

If it feels like you are never going to get the boat done, just remember....I'm on year 4.

chrishayes

Y'know what Chris, I said the hell with wrapping the stringer again. I capped it with some CSM and I literally just got in after blowing through 3/4th of a gallon of resin and 1708 run up the sides and across the bottom of my hull between the three stringers. It was certainly a chore to lay out that much glass all at once! The temp is decent but the humidity is up there so it was uncomfortable, but now I can start worrying about the deck! I will get it on by end of summer...that much is certain. Once that is done, then I can really get to rocking on the boat because everything I do from then isn't temperature sensitive!

If it feels like you are never going to get the boat done, just remember....I'm on year 4.

Yeah, thats a lot of glass, been there...and now you know why I dont want to cut the top off! If memory serves me, I did my 2 layers of 1708 over all three of my stringers in either July or August. I just remember feeling like not so stretch armstrong and like someone beat me with a sock with a rock in it then sucked all the moisture out of my body and left it in my rubber gloves and bildge:eek: You know its bad when you test your drain holes with your own sweat!

Oh and the timeline...Ive always thought it was a joke when you say how long youve been working on yours:p Just kiddin!

chrishayes

Congratulations on the new little guy:)

Reading what you've gone thru makes having our two boys feel like a walk in the park, very glad it all worked out for ya!

Just wait until you get to watch him catch his first fish on a boat that you built:D

Thanks Huron! I wish I could encourage every man on here with children whether they wanted them or not, to thank God and hug the hell out of them because its just not as easy as it looks on tv to have one...then when you do, if you think they cry a lot, I could attach some audio that would give the pill a run for its money!:eek:

Hey Chris,
I have a 24' airslot fisherman. Same style of hull, just a little different/. I am currently trying to figure out how / if I should fix my stringers. As far as comforts, I am going to fix up the cuddy and thats about it. It is a very fun boat to work on.

I will keep you posted.
rich