1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

Okiebo

Seaman
Re: 1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

I used pressure treated 2X4's to make a square around the perimeter, which the lid sits on top of.

I braced the lid with a couple strips of 2X2's which I ripped from 2X4's.

Thanks, I also asked a few questions on ur resto thread as well.

Okiebo

Seaman

Well I got the transom pulled yesterday. It was a little stubborn and a whole lot of rotten! I really had to take carefull measures to not destroy the outline of the wood. The wood was very heavy and I am certain it was the original transom. I know what's already in stor for the foam I guess? Heavy heavy and more heavy! I was going to wait til spring to do the floor but looks like I got the motivation to just get it over with. After all I got another boat and plenty friends with vessels. I did notice that under the motor plate there was a slight green tint to the aluminum. Well off to bed gonna get it hard tomorrow.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those transom sure can be a pain to get out. I,m taking an elctric chainsaw to mine. Wanted to keep it whole but all I,m doing is lifting the boat and trailer off the ground using a spud bar and 4x4.:(
Keep us posted and pixs. John

Okiebo

Seaman

Well a little progress, First pic is of transom outer hull, second, is the lever action i had to use to remove the transom board. I had to take go slow on that part. The lower part of the transom was really rotted and i wanted to keep outline in tact as much as possible. Third pic, transom removed, visible side was closest to the aluminum hull. Fourth pic, transom again, side opposite of other.

Attachments

• starcraft 5 019.JPG
    starcraft 5 019.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 024.JPG
    starcraft 5 024.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 025.JPG
    starcraft 5 025.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 028.JPG
    starcraft 5 028.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman

First pic, transom splashwell drain opening. I did not know a good way to remove these so they got crushed and pushed in to clear the hull thickness. Do they make a replacement for these? Second pic, rotten lower transom that was getting crushed by my lever action. Third pic, new transom(single for now only) i was able to salvage old transom outline so well i made a almost perfect cut the first time! Fourth pic, inner side of transom hull. The transom board probably weighed 40lbs. Fifth pic, outer hull, new transom set in, Notice i decided to not cut top lines from old 3 peice transom. Instead i marked line following true curve from hull. I will cut outside of line and sand down to level. The wood i have in is slightly warped from not being laid flat in garage but is still a good fit. I will bolt it to hull when sanding is done to level. after that i will remove trace to other transom board and glue & screw them together.

Also if you notice in one of the pics i did not cut the aluminum sides all the way off to remove transom, i figured i could flatten them out for the most part before caps are placed back on.

Also in the fifth pic you can see the lazy mans paint/caulking removal! LOL, I learned to spray upwind of any exposed skin years ago with this stuff!

Attachments

• starcraft 5 027.JPG
    starcraft 5 027.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 026.JPG
    starcraft 5 026.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 031.JPG
    starcraft 5 031.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 023.JPG
    starcraft 5 023.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 5 032.JPG
    starcraft 5 032.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman

Well here is my paint idea. Take heed on the poor sketching, Would be gunmetal trim, light grey lower hull. I want to do the trailer in light grey as well.But I found a whole gallon of marine epoxy paint in the garage that i bought from boaters world when they went out of business. I gonna have get it used in this somehow or just substitute the light grey for white.

What do you think, light grey or white lower?

Attachments

• starcraft 4 017.JPG
    starcraft 4 017.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman

Thanks, I also asked a few questions on ur resto thread as well.
Joey, Somehow i was able to make a post thru my bookmark of your resto. But when i accessed it from the forum part there are all locked.And it did not show up there either. So i was inquiring about a few things: do you like the 1/2 floor now that you have time walk around on it? did you consider fiberglassing the floor before painting? did you install new rub rail or? Thanks

cc53fd

Cadet

just replaced the transom in my 73 nova did you find the splashwell drain tubes for a lack of better terms i destroyed mine also trying to get it out

ozzgood2001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

west marine has replacement splashwell tubes. or i used 3/4 copper couplers worked fine.

okiebo i had the same problem with my knee brace transom support thing. i tackled it while the transom was out. i used angled steel and bolted it to the knee supports using nuts in the middle once the transon wood is back in youll never get to it. i took the old ears off the brace completely and matche dit up with the angle iron then bolted thru that the transom and outer skin of the boat

Okiebo

Seaman

west marine has replacement splashwell tubes. or i used 3/4 copper couplers worked fine.

okiebo i had the same problem with my knee brace transom support thing. i tackled it while the transom was out. i used angled steel and bolted it to the knee supports using nuts in the middle once the transon wood is back in youll never get to it. i took the old ears off the brace completely and matche dit up with the angle iron then bolted thru that the transom and outer skin of the boat

I actually thought about using aluminum angle brackets. I would rivet them in place. I actually thought of shortening the splashwell for more rear casting room. If I do that I will have to employ a metal fabricator to to do all work including knee brace. Of course that's probably far fetched thinking right now. Seeing how this project can get serious out of hand quick I have to try to stick to my budget!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just wanted to drop in and wish you luck on your project. We have the same birthday :)

I'm running a '73 Johnson 85 on my boat which should be pretty well identical to your Evinrude. We dumped a pile of money into it to get it running when we first got it (carb rebuilds, power pack, etc etc) but it's been reliable for 5 years since and hasn't been back to the shop.

Okiebo

Seaman

I did not get much progress done sunday. I had company and grocerys to get so the interuptions of the boat begin! Well i got the transom all cut trimmed and first coat on. First pic, Me screwing the 2 transom boards together thru splashwell opening,second pic, you can see the screws located in the openings! this hekped the transom boards to stay together when i removed the transom after trimming, sanding.(Note:screws stuck out into splashwell on opposite side but did not interfere with removal of transom)Third pic, transom removed and around 36 1" coated screws and construction adhesive combined two transom boards.(let it sit for about 3 hrs) Fourth pic, made sure every side was sanded and no burs before coating. Fifth pic, got the first coat on, gonna leave it for about 24 hrs then apply second coat. Sand then paint side towards bow only. If transom has to be replaced ever again you dont want paint in between the wood and aluminum, over time with heat and cool paint would be stuck in there like a major wedge.The only reason i am coating the other side is just the added insurance of sealing the transom board. Other than applying the second coat i probably wont have much progress until next weekend.

I got to practice up on my writing skills. I have looked back at a couple of posts and tried to read all my typos. The wife is a school teacher to! I hope she does not read this? LOL

Attachments

• starcraft 6 021.JPG
    starcraft 6 021.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 6 022.JPG
    starcraft 6 022.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 6 029.JPG
    starcraft 6 029.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 6 027.JPG
    starcraft 6 027.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 6 031.JPG
    starcraft 6 031.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman

Just wanted to drop in and wish you luck on your project. We have the same birthday :)

I'm running a '73 Johnson 85 on my boat which should be pretty well identical to your Evinrude. We dumped a pile of money into it to get it running when we first got it (carb rebuilds, power pack, etc etc) but it's been reliable for 5 years since and hasn't been back to the shop.

How does your boat plane out with the 85? What size of prop? I should have dropped my motor off before i took off transom!

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Joey, Somehow i was able to make a post thru my bookmark of your resto. But when i accessed it from the forum part there are all locked.And it did not show up there either. So i was inquiring about a few things: do you like the 1/2 floor now that you have time walk around on it? did you consider fiberglassing the floor before painting? did you install new rub rail or? Thanks

I saw your question in my boat's thread. If you didn't see it, I'm happy with the 1/2", but it does bounce a little. I think I'd be happy with the 3/4" as well. I knew I had a small engine, so the weight difference was a big factor with me. 3/4" would be rock solid though, which would be nice.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How does your boat plane out with the 85? What size of prop? I should have dropped my motor off before i took off transom!

My boat leaps out of the water with the 85. I forget what pitch prop I have on it. I definitely need a different one as I'm only hitting 4500RPM at WOT and 35MPH. I should be hitting close to 40 I'd think. Some of that missing 1000RPM is dirty carbs but a lot of it is prop. My carbs could use a cleaning and then I'm going to work on my setup.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a fairly similar rig to your Starcraft (17' Sea Nymph GLS 175). I run an old '76 Johnson 85hp with a 19" pitch prop. I've broken 40 with it once (GPS). Day in and day out when trimmed way up with a light load, it does 38. It really ticks me off that I can't ever seem to break 40 again, but I guess overall it is performing quite well. I'd think you shoud easily be able to get mid-thirties out of your rig with the 85hp.

Okiebo

Seaman

I saw your question in my boat's thread. If you didn't see it, I'm happy with the 1/2", but it does bounce a little. I think I'd be happy with the 3/4" as well. I knew I had a small engine, so the weight difference was a big factor with me. 3/4" would be rock solid though, which would be nice.

Thanks, the reason I was not able to see your post is because I was looking in completed projects and not restore.

Okiebo

Seaman

I've got a fairly similar rig to your Starcraft (17' Sea Nymph GLS 175). I run an old '76 Johnson 85hp with a 19" pitch prop. I've broken 40 with it once (GPS). Day in and day out when trimmed way up with a light load, it does 38. It really ticks me off that I can't ever seem to break 40 again, but I guess overall it is performing quite well. I'd think you shoud easily be able to get mid-thirties out of your rig with the 85hp.

Well I hope I am able to hit 40. It would be nice on those long hauls up river. My motor does not have power trim so that's downfall on quick planing out. I was gonna try a 21 pitch 4 blade prop. I will not be pulling tubes and skis as much as just fishing. However I will have up to 80 gallons of livewell/baitwell water in the boat at once. Being an OKIE I do a lot of catfishing. On a typical weekend I can head out with 40-50 black perch and bring in some big cats. Last outing I weighed 45lbs worth of fillets in the freezer. And yes I feed a lot of people with my catches. I like feeding people but I also want to get into some trophy bluecats maybe even a tournement or two. This is why I picked up this more versatile boat. Sure I could buy a new one already outfitted but new is not my style. Ok, ok back to the boat. As soon as the transom is back together I am getting motor hung and off to the shop.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Okie she will plane out just fine once you get the motor trimmed right with normal weight on the boat. ( Norml being what you would normally have onboard).

Rick