1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

Hey backlashed I like you're sig. Glad the old SS is still getting restored.

Jeff

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome Backlashed, Look forward to your twist on the SS. I have a 71-72 16 footer that I made a center console. Check out my thread below and enjoy yourself on the new rig.

backlashed

Seaman

Thanks Jeff, Paul. I've literally been setting in front of my computer all afternoon/evening just browsing, and looking at pictures. I think I'm suffering from information overload.:eek::D I guess I should have been bookmarking some of the things I liked, but I just couldn't quit clicking.

Thanks for the welcome
Ray

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats Backlashed, she still looks to be in good hands...after all your here right..lol looking forward to watching the contiuance.

backlashed

Seaman

I doubt I'll be able to check in here every day, but I'll try to get by at least a couple of times a week with progress reports. Patience has not been one of my best attributes in previous projects, but I'm going to try to slow this one down.;)

backlashed

Seaman

Well not much to report on. Started knocking a few little dents out and sanding some rough spots out. Got the new transom set in and ready to tackle the broken knee brace. I think I know the way I want to fix it, but any advice would be appreciated.

backlashed

Seaman

Well I made a little progress over the weekend.
Got the transom in, and the knee brace repaired. Both went fairly easy other than my back, and knees have had it.
I'm pretty pleased with the way my home made transom cap turned out. I just started whacking on a piece of Aluminum channel until it finally took shape.
I also got the floor pieces cut, and started fitting. Since I got the boat as a basket case I don't know how it all came out, and I'm having trouble getting the seams to line up with the ribs. I assumed they would fall on 48" spacing, but that's not the case. I'll have to tackle that next weekend.
Here's a few pics.

New Transom
DSC01070.jpg

Homemade Transom Cap
DSC01075.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

Floor Boards
DSC01074.jpg

Knee Brace Repair
DSC01069.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That transom cap looks fantastic! I know there are going to be a number of people wanting to know just how you did that.

I still have my transom to finish up. It's cut, laminated, and fit but still needs to be sealed and installed.

Back,

Please definitely give us the details on how you did that transom cap. What material? Techniques? Tools? This kind of info would be of great value here. Thanks.

backlashed

Seaman

I do have to admit, that the pictures make it look better than it actually does. It does however fit very nicely, and should be pretty effective to protect the top of the transom.
It does have a seam right in the middle that will need to be sealed, but I plan on a generous layer of sealer under the whole thing any way.
Its simply 2 pieces of 1 3/4" x .0625 wall Aluminum channel that was already anodized, that I beat into place with a dead blow hammer.
The smoother the top of your transom wood is, the better finish you'll end up with. Mine ended up wavy for that reason. Just go slow and easy. I'm sure I could have done better, but I'm not building a show boat, just a fishing rig.

I bought the channel at McMaster-Carr industrial supply. 2- 6 foot pieces was just under $36.00
PT# 4592T19

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Using a small sandbag (thin) between the material and the hammer will alleviate some of the waviness as well , you beat on the bag which transfers the energy to the material without the deformation/hammer marks. Looks good !

Okiebo

Seaman

Ray, I am glad you found your way to Iboats. You will learn a great deal of experience here. I feel good about you buying her. Your passion shows strong. I was gonna have my brother bring up those missing parts but he may not have room. I wouldn't mind bringing them myself to see your progress.

backlashed

Seaman

How ya doing James. The going's been slow the last couple of weeks,..I've been down in the back. As a matter of fact I had to turn down a trip to Keystone this weekend because of it.
She's starting to take shape though, I'll be ready for the consoles in no time. I can't get to carried away though,.....it's time to go fish'n ;)
We're having a gathering at Milford this next weekend. Your more than welcome to come up and join us. Gonna have a fish fry this time,...you know the kind of crappy food we serve at these things :rolleyes::D
Give me a hollar any time.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

WOW:eek::eek: That transom cap is awesome!!!

Okiebo

Seaman

How ya doing James. The going's been slow the last couple of weeks,..I've been down in the back. As a matter of fact I had to turn down a trip to Keystone this weekend because of it.
She's starting to take shape though, I'll be ready for the consoles in no time. I can't get to carried away though,.....it's time to go fish'n ;)
We're having a gathering at Milford this next weekend. Your more than welcome to come up and join us. Gonna have a fish fry this time,...you know the kind of crappy food we serve at these things :rolleyes::D
Give me a hollar any time.
That's to bad about ur back. I understand about not getting much done right now to. I have neglected a few honey do's just to go fishing. I am gonna be staying at keystone the 8-11th. My brother should be able to meet you Sunday the 11th to give you those parts. Is that good for you?

backlashed

Seaman

Well, after being sidelined for a couple of weeks, I just couldn't take it any more and got out in the shop today. While they were visiting, I got my kids to take out my floor, and get the sections set up for me to seal. We also wheeled the boat outside for the water tight test, and to my surprised delight, didn't have a single one (knock on wood) Hopefully I can get it pressure washed and all prepped for gluevit in the next few days.

I also found a good 80 HP Merc on a junker boat on CL last week, and we got it all stripped and ready for the dump. If anyone needs any Larson parts, maybe I can hook you up.

BTW, does iboats have a classifieds or swap shop section I haven't seen?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad your back on it.

No swap section on iboats.