1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

Okiebo

Seaman
Well here is my Starcraft! It needs floor & transom, maybe a fresh coat of paint come spring time? I am gonna focus on the transom right now. It has an 85hp evinrude on it now. Well not for long at least!

Attachments

• starcraft 058.JPG
    starcraft 058.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 047.JPG
    starcraft 047.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 050.JPG
    starcraft 050.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 057.JPG
    starcraft 057.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman
Re: 1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

well here is a few pics of the transom tear down. Notice the transom support bracket! The previous owner did not use a transom saver so when the wood rotted it pulled away from the splash well and tore the support bracket tabs. Also the the splash well has about a 3" crack from the same trauma. I did not expect to be that bad, but hey stuff happens! The transom board is in 3 peices coming out but will be one solid when going back in. The motor is a 1975 85hp evinrude and i found is missing the lower gearbox drain plug. I hope i can get this motor back to a good state. If not i have a 1974 50hp Evinrude to take its place until i find another larger displacement.I am going to use this boat for mostly fishing but would not mind pulling kids on a tube if the fish are not bitieng. Well more pics and progress when the rains stops. Its suppossed to be raining all week.

Attachments

• starcraft3 001.JPG
    starcraft3 001.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft3 015.JPG
    starcraft3 015.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft3 006.JPG
    starcraft3 006.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft3 008.JPG
    starcraft3 008.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft3 009.JPG
    starcraft3 009.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

Okiebo

Seaman

Also i see the reason in the drain location but, leaving moisture trapped in the boat is never a good idea. Has anyone relocated the drain to bottom center? I will be installing at least one fill for my livewells in this area.

Attachments

• starcraft3 012.JPG
    starcraft3 012.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the starcraft club Okie! I haven't seen a starcraft with an offset drain tube like that:eek: Looks like it will be a nice boat, I agree on making the transom 1 pc and think about coating it in epoxy resin too.

Okiebo

Seaman

Yes I will be coating(probably more like drenching it) it in epoxy. I already have all the materials for the transom except the for the support tab area. I not sure yet on how I want to address that. I figured maybe trying to have a plate welded to the bracket then drill pilot holes for existing mounting holes. Or attempt to fabricate two new support brackets and place on either side of original and abandon it? Has anyone tackled this second task?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the starcraft club Okie! I haven't seen a starcraft with an offset drain tube like that.

All the outboard versions I've seen have the plug off center like that. It's because the transom support is right in the middle.

It may not get the last drop out but works well enough there.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

All the outboard versions I've seen have the plug off center like that. It's because the transom support is right in the middle.

AAAAHHHH! that makes sense now, I am used to the I/O versions

Andy in NY

Commander

well here is a few pics of the transom tear down. Notice the transom support bracket! The previous owner did not use a transom saver so when the wood rotted it pulled away from the splash well and tore the support bracket tabs. Also the the splash well has about a 3" crack from the same trauma. I did not expect to be that bad, but hey stuff happens! The transom board is in 3 peices coming out but will be one solid when going back in. The motor is a 1975 85hp evinrude and i found is missing the lower gearbox drain plug. I hope i can get this motor back to a good state. If not i have a 1974 50hp Evinrude to take its place until i find another larger displacement.I am going to use this boat for mostly fishing but would not mind pulling kids on a tube if the fish are not bitieng. Well more pics and progress when the rains stops. Its suppossed to be raining all week.

i can tell you that the 50hp isnt going to get you going very fast. mine is a 16 footer with the same 74 rude 50 you have... and i hit around 25-26mph solo.

as forthe knee brace, thats bad news. like you mentioned, you will have to have it welded or a new one fabricated, or possibly scavange one from a crap boat or something.

Also i see the reason in the drain location but, leaving moisture trapped in the boat is never a good idea. Has anyone relocated the drain to bottom center? I will be installing at least one fill for my livewells in this area.

since i applied gluvit to the inside of the hull, it takes on ZERO water... so what i do is every time it rains or i hose it down after a day on the water i take my shopvac and suck all the remaining water out.

as for paint, almost everyone in the startcraft club has used rustoleum with the roll roll or roll tip methods producing good results. i think the only one that sprayed was north beach.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Okiebo - nice project find! Looks pretty "unmolested" - the transom trim cap is in great shape (compared to mine), and the seats look like they're pretty new.

The blue paint underneath the peeling gray paint looks like the color my boat was before I painted it.

Hopefully you can get that engine going. The 50hp (crank rated) motor will struggle though. I have a 60 on mine (prop rated), and do OK. I bet you could plane out with that 50, but dont' expect to pull anything. Well, maybe if you're lucky. We towed my 200 lb friend on a big tube with about 500lbs of people in the boat, so you might be able to get away with it. These hulls are light, but not if you have waterlogged foam underneath the floor.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

as for paint, almost everyone in the startcraft club has used rustoleum with the roll roll or roll tip methods producing good results. i think the only one that sprayed was north beach.

I sprayed my hull with a Wagner airless gun, and used a high pressure gun for the exterior gray trim stripe and all the interior. It turned out OK. Roll/tip works, but jeez, it takes forever. I finished my painting in about 3 days.

Andy in NY

Commander

I sprayed my hull with a Wagner airless gun, and used a high pressure gun for the exterior gray trim stripe and all the interior. It turned out OK. Roll/tip works, but jeez, it takes forever. I finished my painting in about 3 days.

only took me 4 days to roll-roll... but then again i didnt do the second roll good and have wicked orange peel and its probably going to take me a week to wet sand and buff...

Okiebo

Seaman

Well guys, she will get painted one day. However for now the transom and motor are gonna get all the attention. The whole boat is one of those " it ran when we parked it 3 yrs ago" . Which if I didn't know the people I bought it from I would have give a lower price. I tried to start it one day but I only had jumper cables to the boat no battery. So it barely bumped over so it isn't locked up. I have a very reliable outboard mechanic that will do that work for me.

Joey, I have your resto is bookmarked. Your boat is almost exactly as I planned to do mine. It may not be to the level of yours, it will please me. Once boat and motor are strong foundation I plan on the complete overhaul! I want to create a layout similar to the newer Starcraft 180.I just hope to have it ready by next memorial day. A large group of fisherman gather near my home after that. We camp and fish A LOT during 3-4days. Unless you starcraft guys want tocall chip foose and Overhaul it in a weeks time? LOL

Andy in NY

Commander

Well guys, she will get painted one day. However for now the transom and motor are gonna get all the attention. The whole boat is one of those " it ran when we parked it 3 yrs ago" . Which if I didn't know the people I bought it from I would have give a lower price. I tried to start it one day but I only had jumper cables to the boat no battery. So it barely bumped over so it isn't locked up. I have a very reliable outboard mechanic that will do that work for me.

Joey, I have your resto is bookmarked. Your boat is almost exactly as I planned to do mine. It may not be to the level of yours, it will please me. Once boat and motor are strong foundation I plan on the complete overhaul! I want to create a layout similar to the newer Starcraft 180.I just hope to have it ready by next memorial day. A large group of fisherman gather near my home after that. We camp and fish A LOT during 3-4days. Unless you starcraft guys want tocall chip foose and Overhaul it in a weeks time? LOL
i wonder if ol' chip would do a boat??

okie, where are you located? do you know about tinstock next year? weekend of june 26th in lake anna, virginia if you can make it.

oh and when you mentioned the "ran great 3 years ago"... when i bought mine, i bought it with the guy saying it ran last season. i assumed it wouldnt run and wouldnt float.

when i got it home i discovered 18 1/8" holes in the transom, NOTHING filling them. and the motor didnt run... i found this out from the last registered owner who had it up until 2007 and said it had lower unit problems since 2006. so much for running great last year!

Okiebo

Seaman

okie, where are you located? do you know about tinstock next year? weekend of june 26th in lake anna, virginia if you can make it.

Andy, I am suprised you have to ask where! LOL, OKIES are from Oklahoma, BOOMER SOONER! Why june 26th is my birthday, may not make it to tin stock tho,

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy, I am suprised you have to ask where! LOL, OKIES are from Oklahoma, BOOMER SOONER! Why june 26th is my birthday, may not make it to tin stock tho,

LOL Okie you know how them New Yorkers are ;). Good to see you got a resto thread going .

Rick

reelfishin

Captain

My '67 Starchief is an 18' hull and the drain plug is off a bit to the port side but it don't leave nearly as much area undrained as yours. I think mine has less of a V at the stern.
With the plug out, there's about 3/8" of water that remains down there at the very rear. The plug is just to the left of the last lower rivet on the knee brace.

I've been lucky so far with mine, the original transom is rock solid and has remained dry, but on mine, the transom is only as deep as the deck and and it was stored in a boat house out of the water when not in use. It is due for a new deck soon, the floor has a lot of wear and the carpet is long overdue for the dumpster. It is solid enough though to still hold my 300 lb. yet. I'll most likely tackle the new deck later this season.

Okiebo

Seaman

Well like I said I hope the 85 works out, but since I know the 50 is in great shape I would have no complaints of pushing 20-25mph just to get to the fishing hole. I do have access to a 115 rude but not sure if I need that big of a motor. I think the boat is rated for a 140? I could only imagine a 140-150 on it! Hello 50-60 mph don't need that!

Andy in NY

Commander

Well like I said I hope the 85 works out, but since I know the 50 is in great shape I would have no complaints of pushing 20-25mph just to get to the fishing hole. I do have access to a 115 rude but not sure if I need that big of a motor. I think the boat is rated for a 140? I could only imagine a 140-150 on it! Hello 50-60 mph don't need that!

you would be surprised... some boats a decent size motor will make it fly, some the max hp really isnt enough. like i mentioned mine is a 16' with a 50hp, but going to an 85 realisticlly will get me maybe 5 more mph...

Okiebo

Seaman

Well hopefully I have transom progress this weekend. Been raining so much here I gonna have to mow half of Saturday. I have been planning deck layout and paint schemes. I got paint design down and the colors. Almost similar to joeys SS except going with gunmetal trim light grey hull and an aditional strip parralel to trim stripe. I will load my half hearted photoshop tomorrow. I think I am gonna have to change the bow layout to accomadate for fishing. Probably do away with existing padded seats and aluminum supports and start over to accomadate storage pocket, livewell and a rod locker. I want to install a ski locker as well. How did joey brace his for the lid? I will remove the lounge seats and replace with one captains chair and install 2 additional removable seat pedastals. The stern side of deck next to the splashwell will receive a small elevated deck equipped with 2 fold down jump seats, large livewell and lid to hinge up and forward to access bilge area. The bilge area will hold batteries and either portable or permanent fuel cell. I have a surplus of 12 gallon tanks is the only reason I am considering portable. Once I install rear deck the large portables will not have much room to slide in and out. Ok now I have a plan and budget 1500.00. Now all I need is the time to lay it all out.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

.... Probably do away with existing padded seats and aluminum supports and start over to accomadate storage pocket, livewell and a rod locker. I want to install a ski locker as well. How did joey brace his for the lid? ....

I used pressure treated 2X4's to make a square around the perimeter, which the lid sits on top of.

I braced the lid with a couple strips of 2X2's which I ripped from 2X4's.