1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 Silverline Grand Bahama

Well, I havn't touched the boat since I put it in storage but I have started parting out the OMC stuff trying to free up some funds. I'm hoping to get some things ordered this week so I can get some more bunks put on the trailer for a little added support then I can finish removing the transom and stringers and hopefully start putting new back in sometime in May. I have been working on getting our ski boat ready and plan on taking it out Sunday and I might even ski a little if the water isn't to cold :D The wedding is a little over two weeks away and I can't wait, it will be exciting and fun. I have been thinking a little about going a different route with motor and drive. I would really like a Gen II Merc setup like we have on our ski boat. I can part out Chocolate Thunder and get all me money back and then some. I have awhile to decide yet. Hope everyone is doing well....

southkogs

Staff member

Ha, I was just thinking about your boat the other day and then tried to remember when you were getting married. Just a couple of weeks out ... whoa! Y'all still going to MO for your honeymoon?

Some of those OMC parts will sell VERY nicely on eBay. Make sure you research them before you sell them.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I think you should part out the Glastron and the Grand Bahama and do a soup to nuts, stitch to stitch, full gut restoration of chocolate thunder.... Those brown, pleather seats are begging to be restored to their former glory...... Yeah, that's a great idea.... :facepalm:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Ha, I was just thinking about your boat the other day and then tried to remember when you were getting married. Just a couple of weeks out ... whoa! Y'all still going to MO for your honeymoon?

Some of those OMC parts will sell VERY nicely on eBay. Make sure you research them before you sell them.

Yep were still going to Branson. We have a condo right on the lake :D

I think you should part out the Glastron and the Grand Bahama and do a soup to nuts, stitch to stitch, full gut restoration of chocolate thunder.... Those brown, pleather seats are begging to be restored to their former glory...... Yeah, that's a great idea.... :facepalm:

There's an idea :facepalm: I actually got the motor and drive pulled off about a month back. I'm thinking about looking around for a Gen II like you have though.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Bump

I looked at similar boat but I want a turn key boat.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Bump

I looked at similar boat but I want a turn key boat.

A turn key boat would have been nice, but the satisfaction I get the day I splash it, (if that ever comes) will be worth my sweat equity in the end knowing I built it with my own hands.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I have been doing some thinking lately as how I want the boat equipped. Instead of putting in a single 350 engine I want to put in two 165hp inline 6's. They have a ton of low end torque and this boat isn't going to be a speed boat anyway. The reassurance of having to motors would put me more at ease if I ever get out on bigger water. It has an 8' beam so I don't think it will be a problem. I am also going to order a set of plans from Glen L to put together a new trailer as mine has seen better days. This will come when the income starts flowingin again :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Next best thing to a V 12 eh? :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Next best thing to a V 12 eh? :)

Ya know, I think I like the way yous a thinkin...Kinda like a dual-inline-V-12 with the option of running 6 or 12 cylinders...nice!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

A V12 would be totally awesome, yet not cost prohibitive. I think two I 6's should do really good. I can pick up donors for next to nothing so that shouldn't be a problem. To be honest I would love to drop in an LS1 crate motor :D

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

That would definitely be interesting to see... :)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Well, the Silverline got pulled out of it's winter slumber today and is back in the driveway. We have been doing alot of boating with our friends lately and it gets pretty crammed on our 19' deck boat. The wife says I need to get going on this project, and what she says goes :eek:

I have some funds put away so will be getting some of my supplies ordered here soon. Here is what I have calculated I will need to do transom, lower deck and stringers.

5 sheets 1/2" ply
5 sheets 3/4" ply
25 yards 1708, 50" wide
1 roll 1.5csm, 50" wide
10 lbs 1/4" chopped strand
4 gallons cabosil
chip brushes
buckets
bubble buster roler

I think that about covers it. I will order the resin when I am absolutely ready for it. First thing on the list will be getting the hull supported better on the trailer. I will be adding 4- 2x4 bunks for this. I was waiting to tear the stringers and transom out untill I do this but I think as long as it gets well supported before the new stringers go in it should be fine. If anyone disagrees go ahead and chime in :D

I hope everyone is having a good and productive wekend.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Material purchase & boat work approved by the Admiral, outstanding:)

Have a good weekend

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

Working on foam removal today. 102 degrees out makes it pretty uncomfortable. One thing I can tell already, there is going to be a lot less to grind out than there is on the Glastron.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I got enough foam and stringers pulled out today that I can start tearing out the old transom tomorrow. I got most of the hardware pulled off the outside of the transom as well. There were alot of rusty bolts. To my surprise there was very little water in the foam. Kind of shocking for a 40 year old boat. It seems the foam helped preserve the stringers as well. Wherever the foam was against the stringers the wood was in really good shape, but the rest is rotten enough it will need replaced anyway.

The stringers were tabbed in with what appears to be a single layer of csm. When the new go back in I think I will do a 6" tabbing with csm and then a 12" tabbing with 1708. That should be plenty strong considering the boat has pretty thick skin to begin with.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The less grinding the better! :cool:
Glad the demo is going well for ya'!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I woke up early this morning to start on the transom demo but it was raining. I can't complain though because we really need the rain. Once it stopped raining I finished pulling all the hardware off the transom. With everything off that transom looks HUGE! I think it would look awesome with two Merc drives hanging off the back :cool:

2012-07-30_10-00-13_497.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I have been working on the transom removal. It is a little harder than I originally expected. The transom is actually in good shape except for around the big stringer hole and towards the bottom. This transom is huge and should be super strong once I get the new one put back in.

2012-07-31_10-39-51_730.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

It's not my money of course, but I vote for sealing up that cyclops and putting twins back there. Would be sweet!!!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

It's not my money of course, but I vote for sealing up that cyclops and putting twins back there. Would be sweet!!!!

What kind of twins are we talking about? Outboards or IO? Outboards would be cool but a bracket would be expensive and I dont know how much they would change the center of gravity.

I do want to put twin IO's in there, preferably 165hp merc inline 6's. I can pick up donors for next to nothing. I think it would look pretty cool with two merc drives hanging out the back.