1970's Aluminum Mckenzie Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got mahogany strip holes drilled and SS hardware fitted into place through aluminum bow. Should be good.

Will install with 5200 when the deck is riveted into place. 5200 doesn't last long and I would like to use as much as possible in one go.

Maybe a little overkill but want to make sure the 1/4" rivets are working.

Rivet ready for install

Rivet installed

All good? :)

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think you will be real close. do you have any scrap pieces around that are the same thickness as your bracket on the floor? Maybe just try it out of the boat to the scrap piece to see if it has enough left to grip.

Thats 3/4" ply right? and your just using the typical "long shaft" rivets?

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Newhamburg. Got the deck riveted into place and the bow straps fastened down. Need to mark dash holes and drill mounting holes. Sand and varnish dash. And measure for steering system. :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dash mounting holes are drilled and got the first coat of varnish applied.

Here's a sample of what the finished dash will look like. Picture doesn't do it much justice but it looks real good in natural lighting.

Measured center, length and OB for steering system and rounded up to the nearest foot. 15 feet should do it.

Going to look into Teleflex SS141 rack and pinion steering system.

Have a good one eh!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Looks good eh!

I'll be expecting installation pics on my desk by no later than Monday morning 7/714.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good eh!

I'll be expecting installation pics on my desk by no later than Monday morning 7/714.

Thanks Jiggy. I appreciate your vote of confidence but unfortunately I am not going to meet your deadline.

But no need to worry - the dash will be installed in short order. Going to order the Teleflex steering system this week and cut the opening for the helm.

Need to decide what to do for the bilge, bow and stern light toggle switches. I have the tilt and trim switch already.

Have a good one eh!

:)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jig there will definitely be cold Moosehead here when you visit. And there will probably be something to help with La boat. :)

Oak dash with Colonial American Minwax stain applied with one coat.

And now that I have this I can use the template to cut the helm hole.

Picked up one of these too. Going to come in handy.

Have a good one eh! :)

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
The helm can be installed using different angles - 90, 20 and 10.

I think 90 should be good but are there advantages going with 10 or 20?

Got the gunwale caps installed and transom caps adjusted to position. Going to rivet and ss hardware install transom caps. Then use 5200 to seal everything up.

Then got the ob installed on the cmc.

Have a good one eh!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Connected the SS141 steering system to the outboard. Like the connection way better than the old pulley and wheel system.

I ran the cable through the aluminum gunwale straps and I am able to make a gradual bend at the dash where the cable connects to the helm.

For the most part the cable is resting loose through the straps although I can't imagine it being more tight.

The helm connects with the cable at the rear of the dash and the connection is around 3 inches from the dash surface.

I think this is by design?

So far I think things are going smooth. Next I need to finalize captain and first mate seating positions to know where to drill the helm hole to position the steering wheel.

Then going remove and apply the first coat of marine varnish to the dash.

Still not certain how to handle toggle switches. Perhaps the holes can be drilled once the dash is installed?

I have a long list of things to do but I think the list is slowly coming to an end ...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Called a marine shop today for splash-well boots and placed an order for four. :)

Tomorrow I will pickup contact cement and zinc chromate rattle can X 2.

Should be able to get some things done Saturday

WISH LIST

- sand port chime
- sand port and starboard sides (again)
- tape and mask
- zinc chromate
- drill 2 1/4" helm hole and bolt holes in dash
- marine varnish dash
- drill 1/4" holes for transom caps and install SS hardware
- drill and rivet 3/16" transom with splash well
- install transom caps with 5200
- install gunwale caps with 5200
- cut vinyl for starboard and port sides
- apply vinyl to sides using contact cement

Have a good one folks! :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
- cut vinyl for starboard and port sides
- apply vinyl to sides using contact cement

Have a good one folks! :)

That's not going to work well J, the Nautolex can't just be glued to a flat surface and left alone. The edges have to be fastened mechanically with metal or wooden strips and screws or rivets.

If just glued to a flat surface and left alone the vinyl will curl at the edges and pull away from whatever it's glued to, and if you try to flue it back it will just curl again. You'll end up with curly gnarly vinyl that won't stay glued... and when you get tired of it and take it off you'll have to clean the contact cement off the sides to do something else. It'll be a mess.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's not going to work well J, the Nautolex can't just be glued to a flat surface and left alone. The edges have to be fastened mechanically with metal or wooden strips and screws or rivets.

Thanks Jig. Would staples hold?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
What are you going to apply the side vinyl to, I thought you were going to glue it directly to the inside of the hull?

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picked up the splash well boot this afternoon.

Just not sure if it installs this way ...

or this way ...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jiggy.

Will probably use staples or wood straps to fasten vinyl to wood sides using contact cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.