1970's Aluminum Mckenzie Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like 3/4"... but I have a thing about "stout" boats.

Thanks Jig. Just wasn't sure if the control box mounting board thickness mattered much. With other pressing things to get done not sure how much time I want to spend finishing this piece. But I think I am going with oak and will at least get the board/plate roughed into position so the control box can be mounted. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
On my Fiberglass boat I went to the scrap yard and got a piece of scrap 1/4" aluminum plate from an Old Road sign. Cost me $5.00 bucks. I used it to fabricate a mounting plate for my control box. It worked Great. I'll try to take a pic of it tonite when I get home from work.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
WOG - going to go with 3/4" oak for control box mounting. Hope to get first sanding in this evening.

I think the control box mounting board should be mounted to the side in this position

And with seat temporarily in position

Connected the steering cable to ob steering connection rod.

Close up

Not sure if I have enough turning radius? How much should the ob turn to port and starboard?

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to mention dash is installed. Used West Marine clear sealant with ss hardware. Feels real solid.

Then connected rack with helm and installed helm to dash and finally steering wheel. Turning the wheel feels light to the touch without the play exhibited using wheel and pulley system.

Got a second coat of Tremclad primer applied to port and starboard sides. Might be ready for poly-urethane topcoat this afternoon.

Got the control box mounting board sanded and one coat of American colonial stain applied. Will go with second coat - same as dash. Then likely mark and drill the mounting holes and begin with Epifanes marine varnish.

Have another thread started for the ob so I won't go into much details here ... but need to re-assemble lower unit with new seals and impeller.

That should keep me busy for today. Have a good one eh! :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going with ocean blue on bow top and gunwales. And going with ocean blue and Kingston grey two tone on port and starboard hull sides. Open to opinions. Blue above grey or grey above blue?

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went ahead with blue over grey. :)

Port side installed

Control box mounting board is stained. Need to mark and drill mounting holes and start with marine varnish.

And need to mask bow top side, interior sides, gunwales - sand and wipe clean and begin with ZC primer.

Need an aluminum plate for mounting switches. Think I better start another list ...

Have a good one folks!

:)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the first coat of marine varnish applied to control box mounting board. Will get the holes marked and drilled tonight.

Confirmed a three-way switch is what I need for bow and stern lights. So when moving both bow and stern are on and when moored stern light on. A second two-way on/off switch for bilge and third switch for tilt and trim. Going with a fuse box that will be connected to power for all switches.

Need to get fenders installed on trailer. Going to have two brackets formed up that will be welded to fenders and u-bolt onto the trailer.

Got a bunch of painting ahead of me. And still need to apply ZC primer and TC primer to topside.

Sanded ocean blue last night with 320 and now is ready for second coat.

Lots to do before fishing trip mid September.

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where ya gonna fish J? What species ya gonna fish for?

Hey Jiggy. Heading north to Lake Temagami with my pops.

May do some trolling for Trout and shallow water casting for bass. Then get serious in the evening and jig and bob for Pickerl.

Two years of dry dock has taken it's toll and it would be nice to have La Boat ready. Fingers crossed!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Confirmed a three-way switch is what I need for bow and stern lights. So when moving both bow and stern are on and when moored stern light on. A second two-way on/off switch for bilge and third switch for tilt and trim.
Hi Jeff. Make sure you get a switch with a "center off" position for those lights. You might also like to use a similar switch for your bilge pump to provide a choice between manual-off-auto. Some guys don't like having a switch with an off position, in case someone leaves it off, but I like to have control in case the float gets stuck in the on position. Having to pull a fuse to turn it off is not too smart either. - Grandad

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Jeff. Make sure you get a switch with a "center off" position for those lights. You might also like to use a similar switch for your bilge pump to provide a choice between manual-off-auto. Some guys don't like having a switch with an off position, in case someone leaves it off, but I like to have control in case the float gets stuck in the on position. Having to pull a fuse to turn it off is not too smart either. - Grandad

Thanks for the suggestions Grandad.

Got a few more things done ...

- starboard side installed
- top side ZC primer applied
- second coat of ocean blue polyurethane - wiped with 333 brushing liquid
- scrubbed interior rub rail - cleaned up nicely - pleased!

Not being too fussy with rolling the paint but I think I should be using the 'tip' technique. Any pointers on how to use a brush for tipping?

Positioned the control box mounting board and control box and ran the throttle/choke wires to the ob. Needed to have an idea how everything is going to fit together and where to position things. Think the cables may be too long but we'll see how everything comes together.

Marked and drilled control box and board mounting holes and applied second coat of Epifanes marine varnish.

Won't get too much done this weekend. Heading north for a few days with the family. But when I get back there will be ANOTHER list waiting for me. :)

- sand ZC primer
- apply TC primer to topside
- sand control box mounting board and apply third coat
- prep and paint port and starboard exterior hull with Kingston grey
- install seals and impeller into lower unit
- record dimensions for trailer fenders
- switch panel
- install bow and stern lights
- install bilge

Not sure what I am going to do for seats? I purchased new seats a bunch of years back. The bases are not great but I may use them temporarily? Or I may just go for new bases.

That's it for now. I am sure there will be more ... :)

In the meantime here's a shot of my helping crew

And La boat waiting for paint

Have a great long weekend eh!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldn'tfe rush and use those bases if you don't like them. You will have to drill your deck to mount the posts you have now. If you buy new posts, the holes will be different and you'll have to drill a new set of holes thru the deck and vinyl.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wouldn'tfe rush and use those bases if you don't like them. You will have to drill your deck to mount the posts you have now. If you buy new posts, the holes will be different and you'll have to drill a new set of holes thru the deck and vinyl.

Thanks JB. Thinking about new bases with the seats I bought several years ago.

Got a third coat of marine varnish applied to control box mounting board.

Should get to Kingston grey tomorrow. :)

And roll TC primer onto bow and gunwales topsides.

Happy Labour Day! :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Lookin' good J!

You know you're going to bee-itch the first time you ding that paint eh?!

Looks great. I bet your jonesing to get it in the water. As far as the steering, you will find that it is more responsive than before because of the engine being moved back. In fact the farther back the engine (within reason) the better it will run and handle. You may have to raise the engine a bit though. If it is too low, it will plow. Not good for performance or the engine itself.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the event I go ahead with new pedestals and bases what are good functioning, quality made pedestals? I have been doing some research and think an adjustable pedestal is the way to go. Ideally I just want something functional that is well built.

I found these kits at BPS that have base, post and seat mount

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...t/product/1212070202/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Or these base and pedestals

http://www.basspro.com/Explorer-Pedestals/product/23469/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lookin' good J!

You know you're going to bee-itch the first time you ding that paint eh?!

I won't complain when La Boat has 'boat rash' Jig. Far better than no rash and dry dock. lol

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks great. I bet your jonesing to get it in the water. As far as the steering, you will find that it is more responsive than before because of the engine being moved back. In fact the farther back the engine (within reason) the better it will run and handle. You may have to raise the engine a bit though. If it is too low, it will plow. Not good for performance or the engine itself.

Thanks for stopping by Cherokee. Yes. Several things have changed. CMC with OB mounting height and steering. Looking forward to seeing how she handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.