1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

Know any tow truck drivers/owners?

Come along from a WELL braced garage header?

JB, no truck drivers moved down here two years ago, not yet settled with much of connections :) I'll have to rebrace one garage header or joist and carefully do a lift.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I know you said you don't have much room, but what I did was build a temporary frame out of scrap lumber to hook a come-along to, just threw it together in an afternoon. Worked great and has been disassembled & the wood moved on to other uses. Only thing I would do differently is make sure the height was "a few inches" (maybe only3-4") higher than I had. It was a little tight. If you can use a garage joist, you're ahead of the game.

wDSC_4812.jpg

wDSC_4901.jpg

Probably a little more than $40 if you have to buy the lumber, but I still have that and the come-along to re-use if I need it.

64osby

Admiral

144848_lg.jpg

Ask around work or neighbors for one of these. I found a used one on cl for $50, nice to have around the house.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know you said you don't have much room, but what I did was build a temporary frame out of scrap lumber to hook a come-along to, just threw it together in an afternoon. Worked great and has been disassembled & the wood moved on to other uses. Only thing I would do differently is make sure the height was "a few inches" (maybe only3-4") higher than I had. It was a little tight. If you can use a garage joist, you're ahead of the game.

wDSC_4812.jpg

wDSC_4901.jpg

Probably a little more than $40 if you have to buy the lumber, but I still have that and the come-along to re-use if I need it.

Hey look at that, yeah i was thinking about that too, thanks for the photos and the idea.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

so ive read on here somewhere that rather then use the good old epoxy i can also use the spar varnish from HD or Lowes?

first thing will be first the transom and while thats being done i will get going on the hull, fill it, mark leaks, repair, gluvit, etc... so is that good the spar varnish to use on the transom

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I know Glen (dozerII) uses spar varnish on pretty much all his wood and likes the results. I've only used it some and thought the finish was kind of soft. Spar urethane seemed to cure better for me than the varnish. I do like epoxy best though. Any of those (and other options) will give you years and years of service with reasonable care.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,

What do you guys suggest that is locally available wood board wise for transom and floor. I'm gonna go shopping and while I believe $45 for 8x4 is not bad, it's not in my budget. Any other suggestions compare to the general?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, $45 for a sheet of ext. Grade plywood is about as good as it gets. If that's not in the budget not sure there IS an alternative that's gunna meet the budget.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, I don't remember what I paid for a sheet, but I was going to suggest 3/4" exterior plywood for the transom anyway; was thinking half sheets from HD, but 48" won't be wide enough for your pieces. For my floor, I used 1/4" ext. with pink foam insulation under it.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey any feedback on Gluvit, I've been making my shopping list and doing research on what other folks use. Seems a few said Gluvit lasted ten to twenty days. Is there something better?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm? 10 - 20 days? Never heard anything like that before.

Some guys use Coat It with good results.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jas,

Yeah weird isn't it. From all I've read here I wasn't expecting that about Gluvit. Actually, one guys even said he followed the instructions of putting a coat or two of paint over it to protect from the UV and in about 20 - 30 days, both the Gluvit and paint came off and it started to leak again. He mentioned that it had cracks in it after a week of use. Strange.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for the boat, well a little bit of an update; I've cleaned my garage so much, I could store 3 of these jets now. Just wanted room for the transom work and sealing, flipping the Jet on it's back and painting its belly etc... just in case the winter this year is bad.

Also took the engine cover before I take her off the boat. Mainly because I wanted to see if there was anything to hook up onto and found this weird hook, not sure what that is for but not sure I should try to lift it by that either;

IMAG0201.jpg

Also found a bolt, that was just there without a hole to go into;

IMAG0200.jpg

Then, here are a few photos of the engine;

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

Now is this the "red" plug everyone is talking about ?

IMAG0203.jpg

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So finally today, a little bit away from work here at the design world :) I decided to construct and figure something out to take the motor off. Well, my design wasn't pretty and well pretty simple that all it was. The thing popped right off. Thanks to a few forums threads for some funky ideas and if you put your mind to it, you can combine them and do it :) LOL sounded like an idiot.

Here are today's pictures.

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

Next, is taking the transom apart and the windshield off it. Then obviously, everything else needs to get out. Actually, I should probably pop the treated and painted floor out.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Good so far, it doesn't need to look pretty! Looks like a perfectly functional motor stand. Glad it went well.

In one of the pictures, the transom looks bowed out--is that just from the lens on the camera? Hard to tell from here.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good so far, it doesn't need to look pretty! Looks like a perfectly functional motor stand. Glad it went well.

In one of the pictures, the transom looks bowed out--is that just from the lens on the camera? Hard to tell from here.

yeah no not the camera, just the transom. im hoping this can be fixes with new wood

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys think that the transom having a curve or bowed can be fixed by putting new wood? Sorry no pictures for today or no more of them. I did do more and started to strip the transom. A lot of rot and dry rot, so yes it all has to be gone.

So my questions;

1.) can the now be fixed with new wood in transom and 5200 applied between the wood and aluminum or is this a done boat?

2.) anyone know how I can remove the splash well from the transom, it seems like underneath right below the the splash well by the transom it has screwed holding it but the sides look like they are bolted or a weird way of rivets all along. Do I cut it or what? Any one restoring your Starcraft had this?

Thank you

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are some more photos I took of the transom corners and the bow that my transom has. As you can see the wood is pretty much done with.

I'm also probably going to have to cut a little bit of the gunwales? as you can see in one of the photos the very top part is overlapping the wood of the transom, so cutting it just right will make it easier to take it out.

IMAG0216.jpg

It's bowed!
IMAG0217.jpg

I've also found a weird part on the left side if you are looking at the boat from the stern side. Looks like the wood of the transom was either smaller on the sides by about half an inch or two inches, so it was moved to the starboard side and on the port side a wooden cork was put in to make it from moving. Very very weird. Seems someone did try to do work on the transom, unsuccessful, wrong cuts, and gees was it fun trying to take the top rail of the transom as everything under it had either 5200 sealant or actually, might of been heavy duty caulking. Got it off in one peace, will need some cleaning work done though.

Btw, I don't have a picture of the wooden cork might take one tomorrow, if I get a chance.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You'll need to carefully cut the gunwale so you can get the wood out, mine had already been replaced once, sosomeone before me had done it and it was a pretty decent job. If you cut too far forward, your corner caps won't cover the cut afterward.

w-DSC_2171-1.jpg

When you make you new transom board, make it fit as closely as you can so it will provide all the support possible for the motor & stresses of acceleration. I think you'll be able to make that transom straight once your new wood is in and all the fasteners are reinstalled.

Your splashwell is different from mine, but I suspect that you'll have a whole bunch of rivets to drill out to remove it. To get mine out I had to remove 32 screws and about 22 rivets. Have fun cleaning up that transom cap, just be thankful it didn't have silicon caulking under it! ;) That's the worst thing to clean up after.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hahaha...yeah I actually folded the gunwales back for now but I might have to cut them. Now the "Hahaha" was for the fact of you mentioning silicone. Last night I decided to stay up till about 3 in the morning cleaning up, yup you guessed silicone. It was put everywhere, in every crack, in everything. Bolts, screws, I mean it's a bess. A full small bucket of silicone out. Now I just have to clean up whatever did come off.

Know anything good for silicone removal?

Now as for the transom. It got a bow because none of the 30 or so screws are holding it at all. So there is a gap between the splash well and the transom that someone decided to silicone the **** out.

Another thing, the transom on the left side is in half. Someone before me replaced that whole one side with new wood and left 70% of the old stuff in. So I need to figure out a way of doing my own template for two reasons.

1.) it's in half and 2.) it's rotted and 3.) it's about an inch smaller and 4.) because it's silicones the **** out of it, it ain't coming out in one piece.

Alright so 4 reasons. What was your approach and idea removing your transom wood? With all the bolts and screws out does it just pop out or major force needed? Well besides my silicone thing.

I'll have some pictures from today also. Oh yeah never mind, I got some screws and rivets to fill out. Honestly they don't look like rivets but some other stuff like metal bullets just sitting there bunch at the top and at the bottom. Drilling I'm sure will work just hopefully I won't make more holes trying to take them out.