1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

With all this buzz around I might start earlier and put her out for the winter to do the work. Only problem, honey to do list also laying around on my desk somewhere lol.

In any case, just a question about the transom. It doesn't flex or anything but since I'm getting to strip this boat quite a bit would you also jump in and redo the transom wood as well while we are that deep in our shorts of changing this boat?

Also would you just use a wire brush and clean each rivet and bad spot, then either replace with 5200 each rivet and patch any holes bad patched, then prime the whole thing, then pain the hull or would you spend money on a paint remover and clean it to bare? Trying to also be $$$ savent.

Im sure someone will comment telling me I shouldn't be redoing every single rivet but I don't know which one leaks. I guess I could put water inside the boat and shop vac it out later. Any suggestions, I'm ok doing all rivets just don't want something to losen up.

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Im sure someone will comment telling me I shouldn't be redoing every single rivet but I don't know which one leaks. I guess I could put water inside the boat and shop vac it out later. Any suggestions, I'm ok doing all rivets just don't want something to losen up.

Cheers!

Yah, do not replace all the rivets. Gut the boat, fill with water till just over the water line, mark the leakers with a grease pencil and then deal with those. After that, Gluvit and you should be good to go.

Yup, rebuild the transom so long as you are in there eh!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Been watching just finally got around to posting. Here I'm wishing my paint looked that good and you're going to repaint. :)
That's a good looking starting point you've got there. On the rivets you should rebuck the leakers, then Gluvit all of them and the seams for best results. (Gluvit on the inside)
I'll 2nd Jas and say that those transom boards are simple to rebuild so you might a well replace it while it's torn apart.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, do not replace all the rivets. Gut the boat, fill with water till just over the water line, mark the leakers with a grease pencil and then deal with those. After that, Gluvit and you should be good to go.

Yup, rebuild the transom so long as you are in there eh!

Jas, thanks yeah it will save a bunch of time and work not redoing it all. Hey btw since you did two boats, would you say I strip all the paint or just the certain areas I hate and for rivet repair?

I also read your entire work on the Nymph, I had plans of making the live well in the back too out of an old cooler. Now if I understand right the live well pump takes water in and the other top whole in it out control water level and not overflow? Actually if I think a little, I think you got the output hose on the bottom and pumping water at the very top right?

I gotta think how I'm going to redo the splash well. I have it all across from one side to the other. You think I can cut it in a smaller size and implement that somehow to a new back area I create? Make the splash well like in the middle but small enough for where the motor sits. Any suggestions appreciate it of course.

Still looking for a nice 12 gallon below deck fuel tank didn't know these things would be this expensive, geez $300 for some. :) it's funny because I was hoping to mount the live well and fuel tank in same areas as you did. :) sorry, not trying to steal your ideas or plans.

Just drawing my plans on paper that's all.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

would you say I strip all the paint or just the certain areas I hate

My feeling is whenever possible, if the paint is sound, leave it there and give it a light sanding, prime/paint. See, alum is really tough stuff to get paint to stick to.

Now if I understand right the live well pump takes water in and the other top whole in it out control water level and not overflow?

Water pumps from the thru hull, through the pump, up the hose and out the yellow sprayer. If the lower drain is plugged then the well will fill till it gets to the upper drain (on the side wall).

Actually, that pump I have moves at a good clip. The drains actually can't keep up with it.
I gotta think how I'm going to redo the splash well. I have it all across from one side to the other. You think I can cut it in a smaller size and implement that somehow to a new back area I create? Make the splash well like in the middle but small enough for where the motor sits. Any suggestions appreciate it of course.

The design/build of the splashwell/stern deck stuff is only limited to your imagination and skills;)

didn't know these things would be this expensive, geez $300 for some

Yah man, all my fuel tanks came from boats that no longer had any life left in em. Buying new is bookoo $$$!

sorry, not trying to steal your ideas or plans.

Steal anything you like and leave behind any garbage you don't like! That's why I post everything up! Heck, everything I have done has parts and pieces taken from every other metal boat rebuild right here on iboats man. That's what it's all about:D

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So very busy with many honey todo lists and of course having fun with my three daughters, sometimes I feel as I'm over taken by having so many women home. ;)

In any case just to update you guys and show you why my hull needs a repain, here are some photos;

1.) This I have no idea what it is. It's at the very front, it is a hole but with some rubber in it. I guess I will find out when I pop the floor off.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/07q6zhimgzr3l44/2012-09-02 16.03.18.jpg

2.) as you can see from this one and from the distance, almost all of the bottom hull has rivets like this. I'm going to strip, sand, replace rivet with 5200 and gluvit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/owp74r79b3uwjuz/2012-09-02 16.03.28.jpg

3.) this one and my phone took a bad photo all blurry, it's basically a gash of about half an inch that I just popped it with 5200 in it and curred it while I was about to put her in. That will need to be fixed too with JB weld, sanded, gluvit and painted.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm8zj8x25ab5ob4/2012-09-02 16.03.05.jpg

4.) just a few extra photos that I would like to work out from, like a new dash with guages, if I can scrub some $$$ for a 12 gallon below deck tank, I will put a tank at the front, also have sliding storage for all fishing accessories on the sides under the dash. I do want to cover the sides of the boat somehow and make storage there and the floor storage. I also want a livewell if possible and redo the splashwell in the rear and make a nice new way for wires, battery and put bench seat with a cooler in the middle. That's a big if here and an if there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1zlozritreo4ni/2012-09-02 16.04.54.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x91anqbys0k6teg/2012-09-02 16.04.44.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnpj9en98jbzapi/2012-09-02 16.04.34.jpg

What do you guys think, doable for a novice person like myself and you think it's too much for a 15' to have? I know someone asked about the storage, I'm not looking for much storage in the floor but maybe enough to drop life vest in, rods and of course having a slide out galore for hooks, and all that jazz under the dash would also be nice however not so sure on that front area for storage. Might just make it in the back, livewell, battery and storage. Then do whatever, anchor storage at the front of some kind. Ideas, ohhh the ideas. It's like a new hobby or illness lol.

PS: sorry about the pictures, seems I can't upload or post photos from ipad, so linking images was a way to go.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

My feeling is whenever possible, if the paint is sound, leave it there and give it a light sanding, prime/paint. See, alum is really tough stuff to get paint to stick to.

Water pumps from the thru hull, through the pump, up the hose and out the yellow sprayer. If the lower drain is plugged then the well will fill till it gets to the upper drain (on the side wall).

Actually, that pump I have moves at a good clip. The drains actually can't keep up with it.

The design/build of the splashwell/stern deck stuff is only limited to your imagination and skills;)

Yah man, all my fuel tanks came from boats that no longer had any life left in em. Buying new is bookoo $$$!

Steal anything you like and leave behind any garbage you don't like! That's why I post everything up! Heck, everything I have done has parts and pieces taken from every other metal boat rebuild right here on iboats man. That's what it's all about:D

Thanks mate, the fun is soon about to begin and ideas do flow from looking and reading at all the awesome jobs you guys do here on rebuilding and restoration.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Most of the heavy remodels are pretty organic, changing somewhat as the build progresses, esp relative to space considerations. Even w/ accurate measurements & scaling/drafting it out on paper, sometimes it doesn't translate well into tin/wood. But take lots of dimensions, measurements & pix.

Once you get it down to bare hull, you can start mocking up the changes you have in mind. And as you acquire the parts & pieces you'll need to redo it to, you may happen upon a deal or 2 that will change what & how you make those changes.... And if you're patient & can stand waiting for some of those deals to come along, you'll find other odds & ends that you'll be able to incorporate...

That's why we're all banging away on ebay & CL several times a day. The really great deals don't last very long.....

You may get lucky & find a donor that has a similar 12gal tank, w/ a motor & trailer, for about what the new tank alone would cost. And if you're not totally committed to using THAT specific 12gal under floor tank, you may find it has another style/size tank that could also work, but isn't that exact 1. And then may need to adjust other aspects of the interior put back to fit that different tank. Plus you've got more parts & pieces to sift thru, maybe sell off & have gotten that tank free. <<--- Among all the many other talents, this donor scavenging is something Jas has mastered.... And being able to incorporate what he already has (a broken ladder made an appearance in at least 2 boat rebuilds) and fit those items into how he saw his project coming back together. If for no other reason then to save $, and make the funds saved available to be put towards a part/piece that may have otherwise been too expensive.....

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I'm going to try and post these the better way;

1.) This I have no idea what it is. It's at the very front, it is a hole but with some rubber in it. I guess I will find out when I pop the floor off.
View attachment 166380

2.) as you can see from this one and from the distance, almost all of the bottom hull has rivets like this. I'm going to strip, sand, replace rivet with 5200 and gluvit.
View attachment 166381

3.) this one and my phone took a bad photo all blurry, it's basically a gash of about half an inch that I just popped it with 5200 in it and curred it while I was about to put her in. That will need to be fixed too with JB weld, sanded, gluvit and painted.
IMAG0183.jpg

4.) just a few extra photos that I would like to work out from, like a new dash with guages, if I can scrub some $$$ for a 12 gallon below deck tank, I will put a tank at the front, also have sliding storage for all fishing accessories on the sides under the dash. I do want to cover the sides of the boat somehow and make storage there and the floor storage. I also want a livewell if possible and redo the splashwell in the rear and make a nice new way for wires, battery and put bench seat with a cooler in the middle. That's a big if here and an if there.
IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

Much better for everyone to see.

Cheers!

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Happy Labor Day guys..!

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi all, I hope you had a wonderful weekend. On my way home today while on a stop light, I like to check CL and I've noticed a gas tank, free. Well I will take whatever free LOL. So here it is;

IMAG0192.jpg

Only problem with it, it's above deck and it's Yamaha but it's 12 gallons. Now any way I can convert that to a Johnson? and make it below deck ?

Possibly I can?? using this for $6 bucks and just implement it some how above deck compare to my original plans;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMPO-22001..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item58887e6465&vxp=mtr

jbcurt00

Staff member

Only problem with it, it's above deck and it's Yamaha but it's 12 gallons. Now any way I can convert that to a Johnson? and make it below deck ?

You may find it more trouble then it's worth to try & convert it to below deck:

Fill hose input fitting, and a vent hose fitting will need to added (drilled & tapped?)

Otherwise, the hull fittings for the fill & vent and the fill hose would need to be acquired even if you bought a 'regular' below deck, permanent tank. There are lots of places online selling tanks, might watch for a deal. Yesterday someone posted a price on a replacement tank that might work (because it was on sale) but buying 2 (to get his target capacity) of those was more expensive (even on sale) then a larger single tank at a different site. But that 2nd site's matching twin tanks was more expensive then the site he'd posted. So it pays to shop around. Iboats runs sales all the time, on lots of good stuff.

Converting to Johnson may be easier, do you need the 2line pressurized hose? If so, you might add a fuel pump, it's a fairly common change:

Bypasscover.jpg
Fuelpumpbypasscover.jpg

Bypasscoverpump.jpg

Pumpinstalledonbypasscover.jpg

Bypasscoverpumpinstalled.jpg

I think there are 2 different fuel pumps that work, use the advance search @resto forum homepage, or google

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may find it more trouble then it's worth to try & convert it to below deck:

Fill hose input fitting, and a vent hose fitting will need to added (drilled & tapped?)

Otherwise, the hull fittings for the fill & vent and the fill hose would need to be acquired even if you bought a 'regular' below deck, permanent tank. There are lots of places online selling tanks, might watch for a deal. Yesterday someone posted a price on a replacement tank that might work (because it was on sale) but buying 2 (to get his target capacity) of those was more expensive (even on sale) then a larger single tank at a different site. But that 2nd site's matching twin tanks was more expensive then the site he'd posted. So it pays to shop around. Iboats runs sales all the time, on lots of good stuff.

Converting to Johnson may be easier, do you need the 2line pressurized hose? If so, you might add a fuel pump, it's a fairly common change:

Bypasscover.jpg
Fuelpumpbypasscover.jpg

Bypasscoverpump.jpg

Pumpinstalledonbypasscover.jpg

Bypasscoverpumpinstalled.jpg

I think there are 2 different fuel pumps that work, use the advance search @resto forum homepage, or google

Hey JB, thanks for the info. Yeah I'm also thinking I might not have as much of space I could still stick it at the front and expand my fuel line. I've got a 69 or 70 Johnson and I don't believe I need two lines or at least right now only got one with the pump on it for the 6 gallon (current).

My idea was to either convert this one to Johnson by switching the connector so the fuel line and pump work or give it away. Got something like that currently on the 6 gallon, both ends; http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-LINE-T..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2574d64ebc&vxp=mtr

I'm guessing simply extending the fuel line, replacing the connector on the gas tank and running it from front to back would work just have to figure some way of just making it sit above deck or at least the little vent and cap to be accessible right?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, if it's a single line hose, you need to crack the vent on the tank. Might need to make it extremely accessible, movable even, depending on how & where you fill it up. Some gas pump hoses aren't particularly long & easy to work with.

I think most keep the primer bulb close to the helm or the motor, but if you've already made a conversion to Johnson tank end fitting, you've got that covered.

Might try to barter this tank for a under deck tank...... Sometimes you can get lucky....

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, if it's a single line hose, you need to crack the vent on the tank. Might need to make it extremely accessible, movable even, depending on how & where you fill it up. Some gas pump hoses aren't particularly long & easy to work with.

I think most keep the primer bulb close to the helm or the motor, but if you've already made a conversion to Johnson tank end fitting, you've got that covered.

Might try to barter this tank for a under deck tank...... Sometimes you can get lucky....

JB, yeah I thought about a trade, who knows I will go and try that first see if anyone takes and makes me one lucky dude, since I'm not starting yet on this boat - got some time. :)

I'll keep you all posted.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright so schmuck with the summer i want this baby going. Im planning on getting the motor off her this saturday.

Whats the weight of a Johnson 1969 30 or 35 motor? Do i need a lift for it? Ive googled someone listed specs of it being 120 pounds, then another guy just picked it up a 40hp.

Suggestions?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Don't know the weight of that motor, but one person could move it, maybe a couple to lift it on and off the transom. My 50 is 200 lb. and I wrestled/balanced it to my come-along lift by myself, but no way could I lift it.:eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I can grunt a 1969 Johnson 40hp off the transom, but can't get it skeg down on the ground or securely onto an engine stand w/out risking dropping it.

A 1959 fat 50 Johnson I can barely pick up high enough to move it 6"..:facepalm: I now understand the fat fifty designation....

If you have thoughts of keeping this motor on the transom short term to get back on the water, a tree or engine hoist is your best bet.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah would want to fight with it. Hmmm... No tree, any motive place just would rent an engine hoist, hmmm pepboys? I could hoist it up somehow with garage hoist too, $40 of a bill for one time or two time lift maybe.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Know any tow truck drivers/owners?

Come along from a WELL braced garage header?