1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

That is a great design for a fishing boat and nearly identical to my boat.

It won't be hard to convert your runabout to that design either, the front deck will replace your closed bow for forward strength and give you lots more room.

You can configure those pedestal bases any way you want in the boat too.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys,

So little update, I'm all done with getting rid of all the yuk from all of the rivets and cleaning them nice as you will notice;
IMAG0011_zps3a73a2a9.jpg

Now, she isn't as smooth as one would like but I guess no one is right;
IMAG0013_zpsfe138457.jpg

Now I've also wanted to test out the few test bolts I had gotten to put in replacement of the rivets within the hull. One thing I can tell you, either I'm a hulk or what but I went and wanted to tighten within one single hole to see how that square under the bolt head would do and well, crack... another one, crack.. now I thought maybe I should put some JB on it as planned but if I let it sit, well I won't be able to tighten it later and it would defeat the purpose. Now being as tight as it can be even as one cracked and was sitting there nice, still a gap.

IMAG0014_zps8426c8fe.jpg

IMAG0015_zpsdcb05530.jpg

So my options are;

1.) Either use enough JB or 5200 to fill that little gap after its tight and hope they don't crack before I can tighten them.
2.) Go back to the table and locate a bolt without the square thingie under the head 3/4". These I will need to buy online rather then hop to home depot or lowes, which sucks in case I need extras.
3.) Drill a bigger hole so that square thingie fits.

Suggestions?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Say wha?

You mean you actually cracked the head right off the bolt?:confused:

Either way, that gap is no good, you'll want that tight.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, you definitely need bolts with flat heads, no squares. Once you have them sealed with JB or 5200 or whatever you're using, they only have to be tightened firmly, no need to really crank down on them. I'd refrain from drilling bigger holes, kinda defeats your purpose!! ;) (I'd use the 5200 myself, JB gets pretty brittle after it cures.)

If you order online, get some extras in case of problems and you won't have to order a few more and pay shipping again. If you're ordering any sort of quantity, even with shipping, you'll save $$ over SS stuff at Lowes or HD.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

A bigger hole won't hurt as long as you don't go "overboard" on the size. You want enough meat left to obstruct the square so that it broaches its way into a seated position. Make sure of course that the depth of the square isn't greater than the thickness of the material. If it is, you might need a suitably sized flat washer to increase the thickness. Anyway, 5200 on the threads and under the head will give you a strong water tight seal. Another thing; stainless steel nuts and bolts on occasion will "gall" when mated without any lubricant. The 5200 on the threads will provide this lubricant as well as sealing. If the nuts and bolts don't mate together effortlessly, back off and lube while you can still save them. Also, you don't need these super tight such that the bolts are stressed by torque. On the water, a snapped bolt is just as bad as a missing rivet. - Grandad

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the suggestions, yes flat head under will need be. Maybe it was just a couple of bad bolts, believe me it wasn't tight at all when one crank and it broke off, not at the head, at mid of the bolt.

I will take a look around see what is available online and hopefully they got something flat under the head. I got like 15 to put in :)

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like your doin good on the rebuild. Just skimmed it over and it is eerily similar to my restoration i'm doing now - Same boat, same blue botom paint, alot of the same issues. pretty funny. Heres my thread if you wanna check it out.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=554681
Good luck.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like your doin good on the rebuild. Just skimmed it over and it is eerily similar to my restoration i'm doing now - Same boat, same blue botom paint, alot of the same issues. pretty funny. Heres my thread if you wanna check it out.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=554681
Good luck.

That is great... just went through your thread and you are progressing quite good, I like what you did. :)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was the bolt replacement / installation time. So I hopped over to HD since quite rainy here now a days and kids slow down pulling my hair on the weekend, then clients pull my hair during the week. In any case, I've got some time to hope to HD for some bolts since I figured with shipping and all for 100 bolts, it all comes down to the same $$$.

In any case, picked up a box of 100pc 1/4 that are flat, stainless steel and about 3/4" length just enough to catch and tighten all the way in.

IMAG0018_zpsf00c5974.jpg

Nice pop of 5200 on it before going in.

IMAG0019_zpsc2ad5255.jpg

It's in and tight.

IMAG0020_zps93fae339.jpg

Wipe, Wipe... damn thing sticky... wipe, wipe... nice and good looking!

IMAG0021_zps7d25a63c.jpg

IMAG0022_zps16671976.jpg

Did about 35 so far... lol... I'm also thinking I might put some JB weld into each bolt head to make it nice and smooth filling.

Yeah, I counted today and I came up with 47 to be done all together... I hope I can squeeze in a little more tomorrow to finish this and move to doing the transom and putting on Gluvit down. Like I said, I'm thinking I might pop some Gluvit on the outside of each seam and rivet I cleaned up from the yuk stuff. Just to be sure.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You're coming along, those should make a good seal. I know what you mean about the 5200, I never work with it unless I have at least half a roll of paper towels at hand, very sticky stuff. It's a good idea to seal the seams too, that's where I think I'm having a little leak trouble with mine. If it were me, I think I'd pass on filling the bolt heads with JB, if you ever needed to tighten any, you'd be outta luck! Crazy lotta work, too! Keep plugging away! (No pun intended! :rolleyes:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Nuts and bolts through the hull below the waterline wouldn't be my first choice for a fix, but if it works for you...

Since you have the nuts and bolts below the waterline I strongly suggest that you install your decking with exposed fasteners through the finish (carpet, vinyl, paint...) so you can remove your decking without having to rip/tear up your deck finish in case you ever need to get to the nuts on the back side of those bolts.

I can see you're working hard on this project, and I respect that... I'm just trying to help.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're coming along, those should make a good seal. I know what you mean about the 5200, I never work with it unless I have at least half a roll of paper towels at hand, very sticky stuff. It's a good idea to seal the seams too, that's where I think I'm having a little leak trouble with mine. If it were me, I think I'd pass on filling the bolt heads with JB, if you ever needed to tighten any, you'd be outta luck! Crazy lotta work, too! Keep plugging away! (No pun intended! :rolleyes:)

I was thinking the same thing, if I ever need to do anything having JB Weld would be too setting, might just fill that with a brush of 5200 since I could possibly brush wire the crap out of it to reveal the slots for the screw driver head. -Thanks for the tip

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nuts and bolts through the hull below the waterline wouldn't be my first choice for a fix, but if it works for you...

Since you have the nuts and bolts below the waterline I strongly suggest that you install your decking with exposed fasteners through the finish (carpet, vinyl, paint...) so you can remove your decking without having to rip/tear up your deck finish in case you ever need to get to the nuts on the back side of those bolts.

I can see you're working hard on this project, and I respect that... I'm just trying to help.

No, I get it but working by myself I couldn't figure out how I could possibly set solid rivets into it 47 times x 5 bangs each possibly, that could become little crazy. I did consider it as it was a better choice and I did do a test on a solid pop in rivet using a solid base but it didn't work out so much. I had no choice going with bolts. -Thanks for the tip though and for following my project :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was thinking the same thing, if I ever need to do anything having JB Weld would be too setting, might just fill that with a brush of 5200 since I could possibly brush wire the crap out of it to reveal the slots for the screw driver head. -Thanks for the tip
Use 4200 on the screw heads, it's less permanent then the 5200.... Prepped & painted over, I don't think it'd be less long term then the 5200 which may need more aggressive means to remove, risking damage to the screw head, it's slots & surrounding finished hull paint....

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi everyone!

It's me and my Starcraft back again. Hope everyone had a wonderful winter :) I'll be back updating this thread with my rebuilding process in May.

Cheers till then.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Glad you'll be back at it. I think spring has finally arrived in upstate NY (maybe).

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah, still freeeeezing outside here. Down in 30's this week long and raining :(

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nah, still freeeeezing outside here. Down in 30's this week long and raining :(

It has been a long winter here in NE as well. They are talking snow again this week. Definatly not good boat building weather.