Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Today I did in real life what I had only done in Photoshop before. I applied the vinyl name lettering that came in the mail this morning. It didn't come out too bad considering it's only the second time I've done this.

A couple tips in applying vinyl letters:

1. Wind=Bad

2. Any decal over 16" long, cut into a more manageable length. I had a panic and on the first side had to do that in the middle of the application process. 32" long is just too hard to handle, even in a very very gentle breeze.

3. When you are applying the lettering to the boat after the paper backing has been romoved, when it gets close to the surface of the boat, static electricity or something wants to snap it up against the surface and if it's not positioned correctly, chances are about 90-95% that you won't be able to reposition it and it will be ruined. The shorter lengths are much easier to control.

On the second side, I positioned the whole thing with masking tape, then carefully cut it in half between the words. That went much better.

There are a couple small creases where it folded a tiny bit on a couple letters, but you really have to examine it closely to see it.

wDSC_5841.jpg

wDSC_5844.jpg

wDSC_5843.jpg

Also, this morning, I adjusted the trailer so I have just about a 10% tongue weight, at 110 lb.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really like the message, tells me what frame of mind you are in, cool man:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I really like the message, tells me what frame of mind you are in, cool man:D

Thanks, it took me lots of careful consideration to come up with that!:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OH YEAH!!!!! Now That Completes a BEE - U - TEE- FUL Boat!!!! LL Ya Dun Rite Gud!!!!!!!! Even if I am just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Glad to see the repair idea worked out on the lift, looks almost as good as having been welded...

The vinyl lettering came out GRRRRRR-8! Very nice...

If the teeny-tiny wrinkles really bother you...you can take a hair dryer to the letters and gently warm them...they should shrink a little bit and eliminate the wrinkles...you can also nudge them with the squeegee...

lakelover

Rear Admiral

OH YEAH!!!!! Now That Completes a BEE - U - TEE- FUL Boat!!!! LL Ya Dun Rite Gud!!!!!!!! Even if I am just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

Ha! Had to put my glasses on to see what that said! Pathetic.

Thanks Wood, it feels more complete now!

Glad to see the repair idea worked out on the lift, looks almost as good as having been welded...

The vinyl lettering came out GRRRRRR-8! Very nice...

If the teeny-tiny wrinkles really bother you...you can take a hair dryer to the letters and gently warm them...they should shrink a little bit and eliminate the wrinkles...you can also nudge them with the squeegee...

Thanks for the tip. You really have to get right up on it to see the flaws, so I'm going to leave well enough alone!

On the lift, I found a source online for a wheel kit with free shipping that saves 63% (Yes, that's right! :eek::eek:) on the price!!

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks great Lake, read through it all the other night and I like it's name. thats how everyone should feel about there boat

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your lift looks like a Tinker-Toy now, LL LOL Permanent Vacation. Thumbs up on that.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys, can't wait to get the boat cover issue straightened out, get the lift in and get on the water!

Edit: Oops, I don't have anything about the boat cover here, I have another thread going on that. Basically what happened was that Taylor Made recommended a model number for me after I provided all the boat dimensions & a picture; it arrived and was W-A-A-A-Y too big! I contacted them and sent pictures, they had FedEx pick up the package at no cost to me. I'm waiting to hear from them. Unless there was a mfg. snafu and the cover was mislabeled, I don't see how they could seriously think that model # would even be close.

wDSC_5820.jpg

It was a worse fit than the Wal Mart cover I tried last fall. I returned that one too.

Gibbles

Commander

wow that's huge, you can cover the boat and the trailer!

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With that cover during the off season you can remove the seats and have yourself a pool! :rolleyes:
Hope they get it straightened out for ya soon!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now wait a Minute!!! PT Barnum made a LOT of money with a Big Top Tent. I REALLY think you missed a Golden Opportunity there LL. Clowns, Elephants, Monkeys, think of all the fun you coulda had!!!!:facepalm:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

OK, things are straightened out and on the third try, I got one that fits. It is the Taylor Made for "V-Hull Runabouts, Open or Closed Bow - Outboard" style, model #71214O; the "O" being a letter, not a number, meaning "outboard". (After that and not shown is the letter that designates the color, in my case "G" for Gray).

This is NOT the one recommended by their specs, BUT IT FITS. They say this one fits a center length of 13'5"-14'4", and a beam of 73" max. My actual dimensions are Center length = 14'10"; Beam = 65".

This is just stretched over the boat and not really cinched up fully. I'm going to put in two fiberglass support bows to prevent water from pooling and have to tweak and tighten up the shock cord, but I think this one will work out pretty well, and go on pretty quick on the lift if a storm or darkness approaches.

wDSC_5908.jpg

wDSC_5907.jpg

wDSC_5912.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Looks great!

And I was noticing how your trailer is setup, did you have any issues with the width/flatness of the bottom of the boat?

I sure did...
And I'm still trying to work that out...

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks great!

And I was noticing how your trailer is setup, did you have any issues with the width/flatness of the bottom of the boat?

I sure did...
And I'm still trying to work that out...

Thanks, it took some real persistence with that cover.

On the trailer, no real problems. I used PT 2x4's for bunks, replacing the roller bunks that it came with. One thing that helped quite a bit retrieving was the centering keel roller I installed at the back. Otherwise, the width between the bunks was good at the location they arrived in.

w-centering-keel-roller.jpg

I set up the trailer so it has about 10% tongue weight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

FINALLY!!!!! Persistence Pays Off!!! I KNOW you'll have her fitting like a glove in no time. Still have not started making patterns for my "Custom" yet but hopefully AFTER the splash I will get motivated to do it.

mrgintz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, Holy Gee Willikers, I shot the first coat of Easypoxy on her this morning with the Hardener and all I can say is WOW. 3 hours and she is Tacky another 3 and I think she'll be dry to the touch. I am VERY impressed with the Hardener. Paint tacks up very quickly and She is VERY Shiny. I will get pics up later today. I had "Cotton" Flying too, but cleared the garage out and shot her in the garage. Knee Brace REALLY helped my knee but still hurt like Heck bending low. Can't wait to shoot the second and third coats. Hope you get yours on soon.

Wood, I admire your knowledge and dedication to iboaters! One quick question, do you recommend mixing enamel hardener with easypoxy high build primer?

MG

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wood, I admire your knowledge and dedication to iboaters! One quick question, do you recommend mixing enamel hardener with easypoxy high build primer?

MG

I didn't use hardener and it set up fine but the conditions were right.

Hey LL I really like the lettering. looks great from here. There are some good You Tube vids on applying that vinyl but even after watching them I learned that it takes a special touch gained from practice. Looks like the cover will work out fine with a bit of tweeking.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just for the record, the cover with two support bows installed:

wDSC_6062.jpg

Heading for the lake next week.

kgthekid03

Cadet

Awesome work and attention to detail! Hoping mine turns out half as good as yours!!