Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

There is a certain letdown that comes with a finished project, isn't there Lake? The only sure remedy that I know for than kind of buzz killer is to get started on another one. That guy right down the road from you with the Nassau he's thinking of selling will probably tickle your fancy before Spring..........

Gibbles

Commander

Well your project helped to motivate me to get somewhere on my boat. :facepalm:

My transom is out, and I have a new one curing in the garage with a space heater blowing on it (trying to keep it over 60 degrees).

I have my little air compressor, trolling motor, and the merc 20hp sitting on the new transom for weight :D

Only about 5.5 months til spring, I think I'll be ready. :cool:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

There is a certain letdown that comes with a finished project, isn't there Lake? The only sure remedy that I know for than kind of buzz killer is to get started on another one.

Not for me! I currently have no desire to start all over again. I keep reliving my splash in my head & looking forward to spring to go at it atgain!! :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well your project helped to motivate me to get somewhere on my boat. :facepalm:

My transom is out, and I have a new one curing in the garage with a space heater blowing on it (trying to keep it over 60 degrees).

I have my little air compressor, trolling motor, and the merc 20hp sitting on the new transom for weight :D

Only about 5.5 months til spring, I think I'll be ready. :cool:

It's never too early to start a thread with lots of pictures.....:) Mine lasted 2-1/2 years!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I made myself a photo album of my project with the before & after pictures I've posted and various progress photos along the way, so I can corner relatives I see and make them look at it over the holidays, since they won't be seeing the actual boat until next spring.

Using the brochure provided by North Beach at the beginning of the thread, I made up this album page. Thought it might be a good piece of info on the specs to stick in here...

AlbumSpecPage-w700pxl.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

It's never too early to start a thread with lots of pictures.....:) Mine lasted 2-1/2 years!

Yeah... I have been thinking about it :p

I'm not planning a full restore job, mostly make the boat safe, and install my upgrade.

List: convert to 20in transom, install 65hp merc, wire, and put in a new floor. :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

After trying a stock Wal Mart cover for the boat that didn't fit, I started researching that again in the last few days. After trying a few different sites and their fit "calculators", I got frustrated since the old runabout style with an outboard is no longer current. I was afraid to pick one not being reasonably conficent it would fit correctly.

So I finally contacted Taylor Made directly by email and got a very friendly and helpful recommendation after giving the Jet Star's dimensions of center length, beam and windshield height, along with a picture of my boat. The model number that they recommend is 83215. It has a cinch cord sewn in the hem and an outboard cover attached, and is trailerable. Depending on the material, it has either a 2 or 5 year warranty.

So the plan is to sit tight and try to find a sale before ordering one, and I'll probably wait until spring so I can try it on for size right away and be able to return it if necessary. Some places allow returns, some don't.

Anyway, that's the plan!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'll tell ya Lake getting a cover to fit older boats is a pain. but you're finding that out. Even the Taylor Made site cover finder only goes back to 1980 for Starcraft. GRRR.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Even the Taylor Made site cover finder only goes back to 1980 for Starcraft. GRRR.

Yup, that's one reason I wanted to specifically give them the dimensions. I got quite a detailed email back.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Buy a sewing machine and make your own!!!!!:p:eek::D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Buy a sewing machine and make your own!!!!!:p:eek::D

The other thing I considered was sending you my measurements!

Seriously, whatever sewing I've ever tried to do has been a disaster. Fabric is not like wood, it doesn't stay where you put it!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I bought some really nice boat cover material, on the cheap, off of Ebay. I plan on attempting a boat cover just as soon as the "Blue Flamingo" is splashed. Not sure that will fit your time frame but... If it works out that I can do a decent job of fabricating a cover, I would be happy to attempt to make one for you for the costs of the materials. Just remember I'm OLD and SLOW!!!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great offer, Wood! I'm not sure it will fit my time frame, but I'll keep it in mind!

I'll be working on finding a nice aluminum lift until summer. If I don't find one, I'll have to launch/retrieve every day until I get one. And the launch is at the other end of the lake! My ultimate goal is to put it in the lake for the season, lifting and covering each night for the sudden storms that might blow in, and protection from the heavy dew.

As far as the lift, I'm looking for aluminum, non-electric, and light enough that it can be a one man operation to put the lift in and out of the lake if necessary. I think with some wheels and a good winch on a tree, it can be done. There is usually help on "dock day", but with the younguns growing up and the older ones getting older, you never know! :confused:

Gibbles

Commander

What I want to do is make a fitted snap on cover like my FIL has on his boat.

Here is an example
cover1.jpg

My Mother gave my wife a new sewing machine for Christmas, she also included the heavy duty needles with me in mind :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That's something I thought about, but figured for my application, a standard shock-cord cover would be just as easy. My BIL had a fitted snap cover on his bowrider and it seems he was always getting water in his boat when it rained.

Gibbles

Commander

My FIL has the same problem, but it seems to be more with the type of fabric than the fitting/snaps of the cover.
He has the sunbrella type of material

It looks like when water pools on the cover it will seep through

lakelover

Rear Admiral

As I think back, it seems that was my BIL's problem.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It depends on the type of seams they use. Most don't take the time or effort to use the double overlap seams and if they don't the seams will leak.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

An update.....

This Saturday I'm going to look at a used aluminum boat lift. I put a wanted ad on craigslist and in a few hours I got a reply from someone nearby who had just what I'm looking for. It's a Hewitt cantilever that had a 16' runabout on it, the guy bought it from someone else last year but didn't use it because it was too small for his boat, so it's just been sitting at his place. He's asking $750 for it and has offered to transport it to my home (about 25 mi.), so I don't see much wiggle room on the price. If I get it, next summer I will disassemble it and take it 175 miles to the lake and reassemble it there.

I'm pretty excited about finding this, so I hope the condition is good & it works out!

Gibbles

Commander

Very nice!