Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Suggestion - Give her a female name, add up all the receipts and deduct her on your income tax. BUT only if you do a separate return. Joint return will cause your early demise.

Otherwise, don't add them up. I hate to see a grown man cry! :p

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lakelover, i have enjoyed reading your project page by page .It is kinda sad that this has come to an end but i'm sure you'll start something new .Looking at your last pictures your boat looks like a high performance sports car...you have a gorgeous boat and i wish you many years of pleasure.Thank you for sharing your story...i have read a few rebuilds but i have to say yours is by far the best
Dan

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, DanMC...Wow that's high praise! Glad you've enjoyed following along, I can say I've learned a lot. I just consider that I mostly bumbled my way through it, and have to credit most of all everybody else on the forum who has helped me out all the way through. I also have to say that my wife has been very supportive and encouraging all along the way. She didn't even laugh when I first dragged it up the driveway! :D

Ever since my father's 1965 14' Glastron Skiflite runabout became unsafe and we had to stop using it 10-15 years ago (just remembered, the cleats are off that boat), I've wanted a similar boat and this really fit the bill. I'm sure we'll get a lot of pleasure out of it for a long time, now if I can only wait out the winter! I think it's going to be a long one.

Thanks again.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BRAVO!!!! Great project to watch and learn from. I'm sooo glad our paint stripping days are over, until next time. That red paint job is very classy. Good job LL!!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

BRAVO!!!! Great project to watch and learn from. I'm sooo glad our paint stripping days are over, until next time. That red paint job is very classy. Good job LL!!!

Thanks, I do love that red & agree on the paint stripping. For me, that was the toughest part of the job, my elbows are still recovering. Maybe that says more about my elbows than the work though.

Why does everyone keep saying "next time"?:D:D:confused:

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did a really nice job on her, Lakelover. We would turn heads going abreast down the lake:red and yellow baby boats. Gaudy, but nice.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You did a really nice job on her, Lakelover. We would turn heads going abreast down the lake:red and yellow baby boats. Gaudy, but nice.

Thanks, TM.....Yeah, maybe Starcraft would sponsor us and give us all kinds of free stuff. Wait a minute, I'm awake now.:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Gonna try to get out anymore this year?

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore your question. And the answer is.......No. :) I started getting it ready for the big sleep this afternoon, fogged took out the battery, topped up the oil tank etc. Now I just need a non-windy day so I can vacuum out all the leaves still in it, drag it out to the middle of the yard and cover it up for winter.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore your question. .

I'll stop moping now. :( No prob LL. Put the baby to bed and she'll be dreaming about spring.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'll stop moping now. :( No prob LL. Put the baby to bed and she'll be dreaming about spring.

Good, glad you feel better! :p

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just wanted to let you know, the condensed "completed" version of this thread has been added to the "Completed Boat Projects" forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524033

Two and one half years of my life, condensed into 6 pages!! :facepalm::D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You should be proud lake, very proud! It's easy to start a project, nothing to it really.

But, to actually see it through, endure clear to the end, is a rare thing indeed.

Nice job and congratulations buddy!:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, it was well worth it. Could never have done it without all the help I received here!

Gibbles

Commander

Very nice!

I'm trying to get motivated to start removing my transom... :redface:

I had some storage issues and my transom got a bit wet... so I'm expecting it to not go easy.

And I found out that the west marine we have in town carries everything I need. :)

And I had a 1975 merc 65hp long shaft fall in my lap, so it's going on mine (I have been putting around with a 20hp :rolleyes: )...

it should be scary or alot of fun! :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, Gibbles! Keep at that transom, once it dries out it should be fairly easy. I couldn't believe the difference once it shrunk a little from drying out. A day vs. 10 minutes.

Just watch out for West Marine, they can be a little pricey. Sometimes online + shipping is less than they are.

That 65 should be wet-your-pants scary. Hang on tight! (Hope you have a lanyard cutoff!)

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks for the warning about west marine, I will have to verify their prices.

They had two types on the shelf that I was told to use, one was the "good stuff" and would cost me about $60+ and is sold in two parts and seperate...

other one was cheaper and was sold in a larger container

I was told the main difference is the more $$ one was eaiser to work with and it was UV protected if I wanted to leave it wood finished.

And a lanyard kill would not be a bad idea ;)

Main thing I'm thinking is to get the floatation foam installed before taking it out with the new engine :D

Gibbles

Commander

Well yesterday I got wild and pulled the engine off my jetstar and started work on the transom...

I have everything out and I managed to get it up by about 1/8th of an inch, but I can see on the transom is a bit swolen on the starboard side and stuck in the channel...

I'll prob cover it and stuff a space heater in there with a vent to let the moisture escape... but it may dry better now that the cap is off...

And I every time a bolt broke, I cheered :)
it was a weird thing... hoping to break a bolt... :p

And did you have aluminum bolts holding your transom in also?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I just noticed your new sig photo, very classy:)

(Or am I noticing that "again"? Either way it's super cool!)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

And did you have aluminum bolts holding your transom in also?

I did but the PO had replaced the board at one time, so it's not like they had been in there forever. I put all new SS bolts in, but saved the orig's.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I just noticed your new sig photo, very classy:)

(Or am I noticing that "again"? Either way it's super cool!)

Thanks, you're right, I changed it a few days ago. When I can get a good shot of it on the water, I'll change it again!