Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Lake, I believe that Dexron II Power Steering fluid and DII automatic trans fluid are one and the same. Dex II has been superceded by Dex III. Dex III may also have been superceded as well. Get the highest numbered stuff, just nothing synthetic. Syns are much more slippery and can ooze past older, but still good seals. Read any warnings on the bottle. You may find Dex III or higher Power Steering juice.

I have the same problem with my '86 Chrysler - calls for Dex II ATF which hasn't been around in years.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, I've been reading that the Dexrons are backwards compatible but wanted to check things out here.

GA_Boater

Dex is Dex, except for the synthetic stuff. I only use Syn in brand new vehicles. Since I don't buy new I never use synthetic. :rolleyes:

bananaboater

Ensign

Hey LL, It has taken me all day to access your videos. I think photobucket was having problems. Finally I got to see the results of your fine work. Congratulations.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hey LL, It has taken me all day to access your videos. I think photobucket was having problems. Finally I got to see the results of your fine work. Congratulations.

Thanks, glad you could get a look, and thanks for your help along the way! Sometimes I think Photobucket ain't what it used to be. Another case of improvements not improving things.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats Lake!!! She looks great on the water, and out. Very nice resto project and its been a pleasure tagging along.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, hope some of my blunders & successes will be of help to others crazy enough to do this stuff!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congrats LL, very glad to see her out on the lake:D

Glad the 50hp is running so well for ya too, looks like a lot of fun:D:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks HA, it was all worth it & glad the 50 was all I hoped. It's kinda stressful investing that kind of money in something and then letting it sit for over 2 years not knowing if you made a smart deal or not. I'm sure the details & fine tuning I have left will keep me busy for a while, but it feels real good to have the bulk of the work done!:) Good luck on the rest of your project.

And fun? You bet! :D:D:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Bilge pump problem solved---

It ran fine hooked directly to the battery, then dropped it in a bucket of water, and still fine. Next I hooked it back up to the wiring and bypassed the switch with a jumper--all OK. Next, hooked up the switch and tried it again....FINE AGAIN! :eek::confused:

So while It was running, I started fooling around with the connections at the fuse block and when I touched the pump's crimp connector, the wire just fell off! :redface: So it turned out to be a bad crimp.

Just glad to have it working, now I have to get the right hose & on to some other details. :)

GA_Boater

Too quote Staples - "That was easy." And cheap.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I've always been a little skepitcal of crimp connections, but it was quick & easy, we'll see how they hold up.:p

lakelover

Rear Admiral

:facepalm: Later this afternoon, I was about to cover up the boat and I thought I'd give the pump one more shot. Click-NOTHING! And nothing had moved or changed since the "successful" repair!

I suspected the switch and bypassed it, applied the juice and the fuse blew instanly again. Then I did what I had most wanted to avoid, I unbundled all my wires and pulled the bilge pump wires and found....:facepalm::facepalm:... In fastening up my bundles under the gunwale, I'd managed to catch the hot pump wire under a star washer at a clamp & cut into it. So sometimes it would short out and sometimes not.

wDSC_5446.jpg

So I'll cut it & re-splice using a solder connection.

Moral of the story: Be careful with your wiring! :rolleyes:

I've gone thru all my fuse supply now, have to pick up more.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to see you've found your bilge pump nemesis.

I don't know which aggravates me more on things like that. The work of finding it or finding that it was my own fault its not working right.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Glad to see you've found your bilge pump nemesis.

I don't know which aggravates me more on things like that. The work of finding it or finding that it was my own fault its not working right.

yup, this is just the sort of thing I try to avoid, cuz I hate doing things twice!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wow, I've NEVER done anything like THAT!!! Glad to see you found the issue. My trailer wiring had some challenges too! Glad my son was around to keep me sane. Next question for you...Got any idea where the water is getting in???

GA_Boater

Instead of quoting Staples, I'll quote WOG "Wow, I've NEVER done anything like THAT!!!" :rolleyes: That was a little harder to find because you had to tear up your nice work. :redface:

As Woody asked, any idea on the water yet.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Wow, I've NEVER done anything like THAT!!! Glad to see you found the issue. My trailer wiring had some challenges too! Glad my son was around to keep me sane. Next question for you...Got any idea where the water is getting in???

Yeah, the bottom, I think. :D:D:D Seriously, I had a few spots on the bottom where it looked like rocks had been bashed on rivets and I suspect those spots. I did re-buck several rivets, but I guess I missed the right ones. Too bad I couldn't/didn't actually put it in the water when I had the floor out. I did fill partially with a hose, but could have missed seeing some leaks that way. But what happened to the Gluvit???

I did figure that it was just a little less than a gallon over 2 hours.

BTW, I never done anything like that either!!!