1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys for the B-day well wishes ! Pretty much just another day ... But the highlight was the annual call from my mom ! She calls every year and sings happy birthday to me over the phone ... A true sweetheart she is ! :kiss:
Ok , got the bench seats out of the way and the hull shored up underneath . I sanded a little at the top edge of the hull just to see how sanding was gunna act ... Just past the varnish I noticed the ends of the staples used to form the hull were showing up ... I guess they left them in in the manufacturing process of there cold molded veneer ... Not a lot I can do about them I guess ..
Gotta go Jaguars are kicking off now .....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Happy Be-lated. Try some de-natured alcohol on the hull. If it's shellac it'll melt like butter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Happy Be-lated. Try some de-natured alcohol on the hull. If it's shellac it'll melt like butter.

Tried that at halftime ... It did seem to take it off .. It got kinda gooie ..
Kinda like the Patriots did ! Go Jags !!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup that's what shellac does soooo. use a Bunch of the D-Alcohol and wipe it off within about 15-20 secs, It doesn't take long.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I really only know what I read in the funny papers!!!
You can make your own really good scraper from a Cheap 6" metal putty knife. Sharpen the edge on a grinder then use a Screwdriver to "Roll" the edge. It'll scrape the wood as smooth as a baby's butt!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I can see I have many hours of prep ahead of me ..:faint:
The staples sticking through are kind of a pain ..
The Admiral said she was going to help me scrape and sand ! :rolleyes:
She’ll prolly show up about the time I’m finishing up . :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m getting most of the varnish/shellac/stain down .. Just hard to get the traces of stain off without sanding a bunch ..
Anything I can use to maybe wipe those areas to disperse them .. Would limited acetone take it dow without screwing up the veneer ?

fishrdan

Admiral
Looking good! Can't wait to see how it turns out

I figured out a new to me trick for keeping the 5200 in somewhat of a controlled mess .
Cut rags up in about 3 or 4 inch strips by whatever length . Then while wiping down use the very end of the rag for a wipe or two then cut the yucky end of the rag off with the scissors

LOL, every time I "try to" use a full paper towel to clean up silicon or 5200, I manage to get more of it on me than I'm wiping off...

Most of the time, I cut paper towels into 2x2 or 2x4 squares (stack up several sheets, fold and cut in half, stack fold and cut in half, stack fold and cut in half, etc, etc), stack them on edge in a 1qt container, then splash them with a bit of paint thinner. Use each piece 1 or 2 swipes, then throw it into the garbage can.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I had a table that had a vaneer on it , i used acitone to strip whole thing , it was fine, but i dont know about your wood