1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey Sam I think I have done that before, let me guess your fingers are killing you! Looking forward to the progress!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Fingers not hurting as much as the back ..LOL!
Almost forgot how messy mothers polish is .:suspicious:
I took it down to 1200 but I think it needs to go further .
Nothing on hand so will need to make a run into town ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far ! SIL smoked a bunch of dead animals in the smoker today . Just finished stuffing the belly !
Stem trim is installed !
DSC02109 (800x600).jpg
This was pre-cut and shine . I blue taped over the area and temp screwed it in place . Then traced under it with a sharpie .

DSC02111 (800x600).jpg

Built a make shift bench after I cut it down using an angle grinder and a bench grinder . The belt sander with an 80 grit belt worked pretty well also .. Still a pain though . Yall know what aluminum does when it gets hot .LOL! Took it down to 2000 grit ..

DSC02112 (800x600).jpg
DSC02113 (800x600).jpg
This was before I broke out the 5200 and made a mess ...:facepalm:
Not perfect but passable i think ...
I figured out a new to me trick for keeping the 5200 in somewhat of a controlled mess .
Cut rags up in about 3 or 4 inch strips by whatever length . Then while wiping down use the very end of the rag for a wipe or two then cut the yucky end of the rag off with the scissors .Over and over . No mater how I try when using a whole rag in my hands it just gets everywhere to the point of throwing the caulk gun across the garage and head for the beverage cooler . LOL!!!
Idk maybe you guys have already have that part mastered . :lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OK Sam....really who is doing the work for you!:)

Looks GREAT and thanks for the tip on the 5200. I will use it.
That is one sweet boat. Heck of a transition from glass to wood. I think Ned put a nice little fire into the Iboats wood boat rehab opportunities.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Just trying to do as nice job as I can with what little knowledge I do have . It’s a good feeling to help preserve as best we can small pieces of the past for the next generations to enjoy and learn ..
Ok, So spraying the aluminum strip with clear coat will help keep it shiny for a while ?
Rattle can ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks really good Sam, great job! I would use sharkhide, but its really pricey. I doubt anything in a rattle can will stick to it for very long without etching it. And of course etching primer would ruin the piece.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just checked pricing on sharkhide ..:eek:
Your right Arch .. Pricey .. With as little I have to protect I may try something more reasonable Like the 303 or the likes ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The throwing the gun or the heading for the cooler part ?:lol:
Finally installed the 2 metal strips on the bottom . Had the SIL crawl under the boat for me .. He only freaked out when he saw a black widow spider . :spider:
‘Also took care of that REALLY bad paint run .. For a nibbler I used a disposable razor .. actually worked pretty well !
Hopefully get it flipped back over sometime this week . Gotta order whatever stain and varnish I will be using soon ..
Even thought about no stain ...idk ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Do some practice woods. It does look nice as is.
Hey Sam is it me or is the forum blipping all over the place last few days?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Didn’t think about the OTF Mike ..Can you use that if I was to bleach the wood ?
Don’t see why not ..
Kc The forum always seems jumpy to me .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup. Actually works very well on Bleached wood. Mix it up in a jar or plastic bottle and set it in a pan of HOT water for 15 mins and then apply it. It'll soak in really well. If you're gunna splurge, use your money on the best Spar Varnish. IMHO Epiphanes or Man O' War are about as good as they come.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Once I get it flipped back over and do the bleaching we’ll see how well the wood looks .. If I don’t stain won’t the filler on the screws and such not blend in ? Tint the filler ? So much stuff out there it’s hard to come up with a good plan ..
Hey Mike you need a link to your OTF in your sig ... I always forget ...