18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Hey EZ,

For what it's worth my boat mechanic claims that rollers are not the best for tinnys. Says they create pressure points versus the distributed weight of bumpers.

But I am keeping my rollers, got a lot of them on the trailer and they have been there for 45 years.

Albert

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

yea ya got her flipped....

Whatcha doing next?

Sucks ya hafta move the trailer axle back ;-(
it does look like it needs the movement on the axle...

Bearings are Ez....are the axle stubs shot??????

Mine are shot on my Newman project...once we get $$ Im replaceing the stubs and hubs....

Good luck and make sure you buy some Gluvit before sunday night football so you'll have enough beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Actually the axle thing won't be bad. No welding or anything involved. The whole assembly is mounted on brackets that are easily adjustable. Like 4-6 bolts. The other holes are even pre-drilled. A guy I went to high school with his whole family runs an RV and trailer shop. I'm going to just take the axle to them while it's off and have the bearings done. I don't mess with that kind of stuff. I don't THINK the spindles are shot. I'll clean it up and paint it also while it's off.

My paint will be on my porch when I get home today. I hope to get the chance to stop at Home Depot and get some sanding stuff and some foam rollers and brushes.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sanding completed tonight. Tomorrow.....PAINT!

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

EZ, question about the gluvit procedure. Did you wipe down with acetone prior to application? I saw a write up that mentioned this step, but have really read too many actually doinf this step.
thx, Bill

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't. I powerwashed the heck out of it and it was as clean as it was going to get. Seemed to adhere great.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe you tools want pics of a scuffed up hull..... :) Use your imagination!!!!

I supposed I'll snap a couple before I get started.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I dont believe that you even bothered scuffing it, your planning on painting an unprepared surface! You lazy SOB lol :D

They say the proof is in the pictures!

You using the perfection paint again? or something else?

Does that stuff last for YEARS on the alum boats? or does it chip off kinda easy?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Vegas, I'm using Easypoxy. It will be my first experience with it. I used Rustoleum on the last one. I would have had no issue using that again but Easypoxy had better colors. I'm heading down to the garage now to start painting. Space heaters are running. I should be able to keep it in the 60's in there.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok but remember we want pics of her scuffed up before you start just slappin paint on her :D. I will look forward to the prepaint and postpaint pictures tonight ROFLMAO.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

We want to watch live via webcam..lol:D

Kev you have to be logged into your Live account to do that ;) . I did watch EZ remove most of his deck one night it is actually pretty kewl . I used to run a livecam in my shop when I was restoing my last truck :D. EZ could set up an account where he could leave a cam running full time and allow anybody to logg in and watch the work going on :D . He is in IT I am sure he could figure it out LOL.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Alright you animals, here's your pictures of a scuffed boat. It had already been dusted off at this point so it looks like I really didn't do anything. That could not be further from the truth. I put like 3 hours into prepping this thing. I used a couple different grits of sanding sponges but I think what really worked the best was those immitation steel wool scotch brite-type pads. I paid special attention to the areas where the burgundy and the gray met to knock down the tape lines.

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2267.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Here's the first coat of gray finished. This took a lot longer than I thought it would. I worked on it for like 4 hours. I am VERY PLEASED with this Easypoxy paint. It goes on nicely, covers well, and lays down awesome. I swear to god, in the right temperature you could paint a car with this stuff with an old paint brush and you'd be happy with it. I have the garage at 65 degrees which is perfect. I brushed the keel and the chines and which took forever then rolled everything else. I was initially worried because it bubbled real bad with the foam roller. I thought I'd actually have to do the tipping part of roll and tip.....but nope. It laid down after a few minutes. The paint also remained workable for a LONG time so if I found any runs I could fix them. Good thing because this paint will run. I don't think it will be perfect but I am very pleased thus far. I think after just a thin second coat it will be good to go.

DSCF2269.jpg

DSCF2270.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good EZ kinda looks like you kicked SWMBO's car to the curb and took over the garage :D. Are you planning on a white stripe up near the rubrails :D. As much fun as that was imagine the fun you would have had hanging over the boat off of a stepladder to reach the middle to paint :D.

Rick

fshngho

Lieutenant

EZ, thanks, I enjoyed the videos and can't believe the progress. If you don't mind i do have a suggestion for you. I think a few weeks back you mentioned that you didn't have a metal shop nearby. Pretty much everyone does but are not aware. I am a glazier, which means I fabricate and install storefronts....aluminum storefronts. Get it? I bet if you make a few calls to local glass shops there will be a few with scrap or cut off storefront metal laying around. You could even order some if you want. It comes in tubes, channels, and other extrusions that you can build anything out of! Good luck and everything looks great, even to us animals. Dale

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Wow you're really kickin butt on this one
that gray looks white in the pics, are you BLIND! lol

must be a real light shade of gray...either way laying out nice....
Im sure that easypoxy will be better than the rustoleum in the long run...

Hey where's the link to the LIVE cam for tonights "fix" of EZs boating restoration channel tv show :)

The best part would be watching the paint dry
Exciting!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes vegas it is a very light gray which is what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.