18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Well when I say remove it I don't mean completely remove it just take all the upper rivets out that hold the top of it to the sides of the boat then pull it away from the sides to get the gluvit behind because the bottom part of it is riveted with the main seam that is where you would want the gluvit. I am still thinking of it, but that will be after I test the replacement of other rivets higher up on the boat.:eek:

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

ez, i hope you get yours finished soon, so you can come over here and work on mine! I'm stoked your going to get to the painting soon, as i want to redo the blue on mine.

T

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

you are going to be one of those old men walking around in a robe with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth saying "what the hell are you looking at" in a realy raspy voice..

whaddaya mean going to be??
What the hell are YOU lookin at anyway...

:D

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

EZ ..nice work..Did you apply the gluvit with the boat stationary on the trailer or did you tilt it to one side..and then tilt to the other to finish. I saw that in a few post wondering if that really needs to be done?
I will be gluviting..? this weekend and will probably post the same exciting pictures that I just saw here!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I applied it with the boat stationary. It's a weird substance. It actualy seems to thin out some after you apply it for a while before it starts to harder. I think it will flow just fine to everywhere it needs to be.

bananaboater

Ensign

EZ Where did you order your Gluvit from? Mine did not have an option to include beer?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

wholesalemarine.com. They had a special going on. Free case of beer with every $2 purchase. So I got 20 cases of beer for free with my Gluvit :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

wholesalemarine.com. They had a special going on. Free case of beer with every $2 purchase. So I got 20 cases of beer for free with my Gluvit :)

Nice work Ez, your really moving along Im not a tin canner (Yet) but with a deal like that I might just buy some gulvit to support my beer habit :D

Keep up the good work, kinda makes me want to go work on my boat

Bill

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

damn, i got ripped off on my gluvit purchase, i'll have to return it to jamestown and reorder ;)

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

EZ..I received a bag of popcorn and 3-d glasses with mine Friday.. wholesalemarine has it goin on!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat is flipped!! I had 4 guys including myself and we were able to lift it off the trailer and onto the grass next to my driveway. We then moved the trailer out of the way and flipped the boat over and onto the driveway on top of 3 furniture dollies. Everyone agreed that Rickairmedic's furniture dolly idea was a great one. I got them for $9.99 a piece from Harbor Freight. After that we just wheeled it back into the garage. I foresee the dollies continuing to be useful for slight maneuvers in the garage.

DSCF2260.jpg

DSCF2262.jpg

With all the nightmares I've had with trailers.....this one is in really nice shape. Needs a little work but nothing too major. The axle needs to be moved back to give me some more tongue weight. I think while I have it off to do the adjustment, I'm going to clean it up and paint it, and take it my trailer guys and have them redo the bearings. They are very much shot.

DSCF2261.jpg

Paint was ordered on Friday morning. I think it's coming from RI so it should be here early in the week. Can't wait to get started on that.

86 century

Ensign

That axle is up there a ways. What do you think of those roller bunks

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

EZ..nice job with the move. I am one step behind you.I will also be using that method to move and flip..Thanks Rick!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ruh Roh EZ has entered the Turtle phase :D. EZ you will find the dollies really nice when you want to spin the boat around in the garage to switch sides you are working on . Simply move SWMBO's car out spin the boat ans return her car to its space before she notices you have stuck it outside in the snow :D. I also think you will find it much easier to sand and paint the center of the bottom of the hull without having to remove your feet from the floor :D. The next phase is the hardest :D getting it back over and on the trailer LOL.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Jeremy, why not just go with regular carpeted bunks?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Jeremy, why not just go with regular carpeted bunks?

I was thinking it would be easiest to just swap out the roller bunks for new ones. To switch to carpet bunks I'd have to buy brackets, wood, and carpet. Either way I'm probably still looking at a $100.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I was thinking it would be easiest to just swap out the roller bunks for new ones. To switch to carpet bunks I'd have to buy brackets, wood, and carpet. Either way I'm probably still looking at a $100.

Dang near..plus sealer..My new brackets were 11 bucks each, x 4 was 44 in brackets alone..

I do want to add those silicone/teflon slid strips to my bunks...

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Hey ezmobee, Why not just replace the rollers if that's what is worn out, and any of the brackets too. they have any and all of the parts you need. I have those same roller assemblies on my trailer and I have been to this site looking to fix what needs fixing on mine. In the the first link are the rollers for this style.(the bottom 4) A lot cheaper than the whole assembly. The second link is the hardware.

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/it...m=86159&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&sTitle=&FromNav=False

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/it...2045.02&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&sTitle=&FromNav=False

Status
Not open for further replies.