18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Spent about an hour out there tonight. Got all the foam broken up and bagged. I'll be throwing that out for weeks. Ripped the carpet and original vinyl off that was up in the bow and ripped out the carpet that was along the gunwales. I would have started vacuuming out the dirt but I figured I'd let it dry out a bit till tomorrow so it wasn't as much a mess in my shop vac.

DSCF2228.jpg

DSCF2227.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ where are all the acorns :D. I bet I had 5 pounds of them in my boat when I got the deck out . I was amazed at how many the squirrels had managed to hide in there .

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I did have quite a few acorns in it when I brought it home :)

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice project ezmobee! Looking forward to following the progress you make.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi ezmobee.....one tip for your boat...if you are keeping the bow storage
compartments about the same but want to the access holes bigger..deeper
and the original trim pieces are not long enough...use trim pieces that are used for the edging on tractor seats....on my 1971 starcraft they look the same...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the tip starcraft16ss. I've actually been giving this area a lot of thought. I think I've decided I'm ditching that piece altogether and fabbing something else. I really don't like those side access holes. I'd much rather a hinged lid on the top. I'd love to have a new aluminum piece made, sans holes, as I'm sure it would be much lighter than something I'd fab out of plywood. Problem is I have no connections to any metal shops in my area.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just order my Gluvit. Man are the prices for that stuff all over the board. I ended up getting it from wholesalemarine.com who've I've dealt with successfully before. iboats was out of stock. I'm really hoping a quart will do it as this boat sure has a lot of ribs.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The quart or 2lb can should do just fine. I was a able to put a pretty healthy coating on all of my rivets and seams with just a little to spare.
Keep up the great work!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for info Greendiver!

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ one option on your bow area other than completely rebuilding it would be to see if there is a metal supplier near you . Order a sheet of aluminum and have pieces cut to fit the existing sections on the bow with holes in them and simply rivet them over those areas so they completely cover each section. This would be much lighter than rebuilding the whole Bow with wood and still look good as well as adding strength to the areas since you are planning on adding a piece for a casting deck as well. This would surely be cheaper than having the area completely remade out of aluminum and for sure be lighter than doing it yourself with wood. I wish you were closer I could bend up new Bow sections for you :D.

Rick

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude,

Wow, kickin a** and takin numbers!

I want a Starcraft tinny soooooo bad! Need to sell 'Cuda to finance anything! I feel MBS in my blood! Those ideas from Vegas are cool!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great progress today guys.....my wife and I got the entire floor cut and laid in place. It looks great! It's not permanently installed. Lots of work to be done prior to that happening. Here's the pics:

DSCF2248.jpg

DSCF2249.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Dang Jeremy, I love the way these boats look with some new wood laid in em! Just looks like a new boat:)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dang that boys quick I just watched him start pulling the old deck out the other night :D:D. EZ looks great now to stink up the garage with some resin :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

dang Ez..you make it look well..EASY!

Great job

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Come on...where's all the fun of scrapping out foam, lingering clouds of grinding dust, balancing acts laying in 12' stringers...aw man, you tinnies have it Soooooo EZ.... :rolleyes:......:p:D

Looking good EZ! :cool:

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the look of that 6/10 epoxy, I joined my floor with biscuit joiner and gorilla glue and pulled it together with clamps but I wanted to make sure there was no sag in between sheets (and I had the makings being a sorta former carpenter) Great job EZ! don't get to far ahead of me:D Steven

Andy in NY

Commander

jeremy, my sincere appologies for not being here sooner, its almost like i missed the birth of your child! anyways, shes looking good so far, and i think you should go with the rear seat arrangement someone posted earlier.

86 century

Ensign

Looks good you got a better paint than i did mine is an 80 and yellow.

Attachments

• 10-31-09_1612.jpg
    10-31-09_1612.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.