18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Thanks, this will be the Party/fishing/camper boat :D

And I have been looking at pedestal seats with the removable mounts, but it looks like they need to go about 4in below the deck, and where I want to mount the seats I may not have that much space, but I'll have to measure to be sure.
And I'm looking to keep the seats to the sides as much as I can, to keep the walk way clear.

If I had a V Hull I'm sure it would be no problem :facepalm:

if not enough space, I'll go for something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIVL-EZE-ECONOMY-FIXED-HEIGHT-SEAT-PEDESTAL-13-3954-/250698486475?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a5ecb52cb&vxp=mtr

Also I have to figure out how high I want them, I found swivl-eze has some nice affordable sets on ebay, but I might end up being a little limited by how high I can go.

Example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOAT-SEAT-SWIVL-EZE-3-PC-OFFSET-PEDESTAL-SET-13-GAL-/271041926826?_trksid=e11012.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D280946681173%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1529749193971704879&_qi=RTM839985

time to mock up the windshield and see how high I need.

if the idea works out I plan on having 5 or 6 mounting locations

jlwood3

Cadet

Nice project! These are great boats. Here is a pic of how I did my consoles.

Attachments

• cruiser4.jpg
    cruiser4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 7

Gibbles

Commander

That looks great, and looks much better than what I was thinking.

One question, how did you route the steering cable, and what did you do on the inside of the cabin space where the consoles were?

Thanks!

Gibbles

Commander

Also I dropped a Franklin on a soda blaster and a 50lb bag

I cleaned up the inside a bit more, paying attention to areas that will stay bare metal/not covered.

And made a bit old mess, but with that much baking soda there will not be any funny smells! :D

I need another 50lb bag to touch up the splash well.

Also I took apart one of the consoles for a good template and then got the cabin walls cut out and fit.

I tried to upload a bunch of pictures but it seems photobucket is having some issues today :(

North Beach

Commander

Also I dropped a Franklin on a soda blaster and a 50lb bag

I cleaned up the inside a bit more, paying attention to areas that will stay bare metal/not covered.

And made a bit old mess, but with that much baking soda there will not be any funny smells! :D

I need another 50lb bag to touch up the splash well.

Also I took apart one of the consoles for a good template and then got the cabin walls cut out and fit.

I tried to upload a bunch of pictures but it seems photobucket is having some issues today :(

I guess they are taking turns on us. Yesterday my pics were all messed up and couldn't upload anything. Today everything's fine????

Gibbles

Commander

I guess they are taking turns on us. Yesterday my pics were all messed up and couldn't upload anything. Today everything's fine????

Seems to be fixed now, but it gave me an error even trying to load their home page :(

Gibbles

Commander

The 1963 consoles
DSCF2212.jpg

DSCF2211.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Taken apart for a template
DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2214.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Transom in (mostly)
DSCF2215.jpg

Used rivets coated in 5200 for transom cap
DSCF2205.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice job on the cabin wall!

@Transom too.

Gibbles

Commander

Had a bit of damage to the center part of the transom cap
lots of 5200, and will be covered later on
DSCF2206.jpg

Prev owner had trim tabs, then removed them... then filled the holes with rusty steel screws coated in blue gasket maker..
Filled with rivet coated with 5200, then fulled with more 5200
DSCF2207.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Did same with other holes for now.
DSCF2210.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Also on the cabin wall, I used 3/4in and the scrap from the flooring was just the right size.

The orig consoles seem to be structural, so I'm keeping that in mind while I'm putting everything together.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks! and that took more thought on how to extend than it should of :)

Extend? Wider out from the gunwale? To move the door over some? Based on the way it looks in relationship to the seat bases in the cabin, looks like you've got the door centered & just about right for the seat bases.

Looks like you nailed it 1st time & it only took 10-15min ;) But we don't have to tell anyone any different :facepalm:

Gibbles

Commander

Extend? Wider out from the gunwale? To move the door over some? Based on the way it looks in relationship to the seat bases in the cabin, looks like you've got the door centered & just about right for the seat bases.

Looks like you nailed it 1st time & it only took 10-15min ;) But we don't have to tell anyone any different :facepalm:

Extend height from torn apart console piece ;) (silly 1963 designers had an open cabin; fixing that, dern hippies)

And once I had one figured out, it was an easy copy onto the other board, that one took minutes! :D

dozerII

Admiral

Great job Gib, coming along nicely. It is incredible how many holes the transom on some of these old boats can gain over the years. The 18 SS I did, had an extra 25 if I remember correctly, all from transducers, wires, hoses, and pitot tubes.

Gibbles

Commander

Great job Gib, coming along nicely. It is incredible how many holes the transom on some of these old boats can gain over the years. The 18 SS I did, had an extra 25 if I remember correctly, all from transducers, wires, hoses, and pitot tubes.

There are even more that sit under the transom plate. :facepalm:

For those I used 5200 and when the transom was bolted in it squished it down real nice, then covered with wax paper to get a flat surface.

Also I found one loose rivet, looks to of been caused by the trailer bunks.

I'm going to try and rebuck the rivet using an air chisel with a modified bit.

When I applied the gluvit I only mixed up half of the can, got everything that's under the rear floors and stopped there because of this rivet (sit's under the starboard front bench, end rivet for a rib).

Gibbles

Commander

This weekend I'll see about getting the transom drain tubes installed, and some more soda for the blaster.

That's working really well, but I'm going through the stuff really fast... $35 per 50lb bag :(
Went through two bags so far.