18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

jlwood3

Cadet
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Here are some more pics of my consoles.Cruiser 008.jpgCruiser 001.jpgCruiser 002.jpgCruiser 003.jpgCruiser 004.jpg

jlwood3

Cadet

Here is how I routed the steering cable.

Attachments

• Cruiser 007.jpg
    Cruiser 007.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Cruiser 005.jpg
    Cruiser 005.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 6
  • Cruiser 006.jpg
    Cruiser 006.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 6

Gibbles

Commander

Here is how I routed the steering cable.

Thanks, and nice work! :)

I got a bit more paint blasted off the boat, almost ready to install the transom drain tubes but I gotta install the handles to ensure the transom skin is as flush as it can be before installing the tubes... and those need to be sanded and polished.

soda blasting is going slower than I would like, mostly on the topside paint that did not want to come off with the stripper.

Thinking I need a Christmas tree out in the middle of the white winter wonderland I created in my backyard via soda blaster. :D

My dog is also acting funny started right after I started blasting...
I did a lil reading and it turns out baking soda is non toxic, unless they eat it... so far no bloating signs but I gotta keep an eye on that lil pooch...
She likes to grab fruit that falls from the tree, play with it like a ball, then eat it...
My worry is if she drops it in the soda, she then has an apple coated in baking soda...

so I gotta go look at some fencing options tomorrow... :)

ETA: found out the dog is fine, saw online it was toxic, and advised to pay $60 for a poisin control hotline.
finally found some good info that said the dog will fart less, and have runny poop.
Her rear is also itchy because of it lol

anyways back to a week of going to work :(

Last edited:

Gibbles

Commander

I had some computer problems on my home PC, decided I did not want to mess with the raid(0) array and try and recover stuff so I just wiped and restored to a backup image from a year ago :p
I lost some pictures, but nothing I can't take again.

Also the Dog is felling much better, and back to her normal happy bouncy self. :)

Anyways, I had these two still on the camera.

Soda blasting affects on the rub rail!
Before,
DSCF2225.jpg

After!
DSCF2226.jpg

I had much better pictures of the rub rail cleanup, but that was on my hard drive. :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Soda blasting a rubrail? Whowudda thunk it? Nice:D

emoney

Commander

That's really neat, as I didn't know you could use a soda blaster for rubberish type stuff. Is that a specific soda product, or any old soda blaster can do it? I wonder if this would be a good way to clean my hypalon dinghy?

Anyway, enough about me, sorry about your PC issues, and I wouldn't worry about the pics as you've got plenty more to take. Coming along nicely, btw.

BTW, @jlwood3, nice consoles man!

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah on the PC; crap happens but it's how I make my living, just sucks when it happens to my stuff lol

Soda blasting: from what I have been reading it should be fine for any soda blaster, just start low on the pressure and go up as needed.

I read up and it also says it can be used to strip paint from wood
I'll test that later on :)

I noticed it when I was cleaning up the rub rail trim, hit the rubber and noticed how white it came out.

gave a good feel before and after and noticed no damage, had the same sorta gritty texture before and after.

the lower rub rail might be a little harder to bring back, as it might have some color from the paint stripper (to lazy to remove it :facepalm: )

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seems like soda blasting is versatile and non-destructive. Rubrail clean up - no problem. How much soda have you used, Gib?

Gibbles

Commander

So far 150lbs (3x50lb bags).

I suspect that I could use less if I had a bigger air compressor, I'm forced to keep the pressure low in order to keep it consistent.

jlwood3

Cadet

That stinks about the computer, but I'm glad the dog is better! I'm really enjoying your project. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Gibbles

Commander

thanks!

this weekend I'll see if I can get a bit more done :D

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Gibbles. How big is the soda blaster you got? How large an area can you do at a time?

Gibbles

Commander

I got the 15lb soda blaster, and the area is kinda subjective, depending on how clean it comes off, and the psi.

you can also adjust the soda feed, more soda the better it works, but I can empty the tank pretty quick full blast.

it works best if I can hold 100psi, but my compressor can only hold 60psi non stop with it :(

nice thing is it has a air gauge and regulator on the soda tank, + the one on my compressor :)

I started playing with the shutoff valves to keep the soda tank psi high, and limit the output, it helps but the valve is getting damaged...

rheagler

Thanks for the info Gib.
-Rich

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks for the info Gib.
-Rich

np, and one more thing to add to the soda blaster list.
it cleans chrome, and removes surface rust!

I have a old 1970 honda cb 100 an old neighbor gave me when he was moving to az (health).

it had some spotting on the chrome wheels, fenders, and chain gaurd.

did some light dusting with the soda blaster and everything looks almost new!

once fixed up it should bring some $$ towards the boat fund :D
that is unless the wife wants to use it, as it's to girly for me..
think bear on a tricycle (+ I have a real bike :p )...
434855-bigthumbnail.jpg

rheagler

I may have to add a small soda blaster to the tool arsenal. I sold my "real" bike when I became a boater. I still have a 1957 Harley Hummer as a project bike, plus an old allis-chalmers garden tractor project, a couple mercury outboards, an old 6hp Johnson outboard........when does it end???:facepalm:

Gibbles

Commander

I may have to add a small soda blaster to the tool arsenal. I sold my "real" bike when I became a boater. I still have a 1957 Harley Hummer as a project bike, plus an old allis-chalmers garden tractor project, a couple mercury outboards, an old 6hp Johnson outboard........when does it end???:facepalm:

Sounds like you're like me, gotta have a project to give me a distraction from life lol
I call them my happy places. ;)

does wonders when work stress starts getting to me, I take a little break and open up iboats, catalogs, and ebay (I call it boatparts.com). :cool:

But once I get the chief on the water I have to make the house my happy place or my wife will drill holes in the boats...
maybe a lil nova on the side.. :redface:

And I did get a little done this weekend, I finally finished installing the transom

Drain tubes installed (went for the same brass ones I used on the other two boats).
and that big heavy transom guard thing I pulled off, cleaned up and reinstalled.

Pictures later this week. :)

Gibbles

Commander

So I'm looking at seating and I found out they have different ratings depending on what the pedestal will be used for...

Example: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Posts--Fixed-Height

So I need one rated for operator apparently or risk bending it?

but I'm having issues trying to locate one that looks to be operator rated...

One option that may be correct... http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/SPRINGFIELD-1300902-PLUG-IN-KEYED-AIR-RIDE_p_18133.html

Any insight would be much appreciated :)