Transom ready to install
DSCF2164.jpg

and ooo look!
my garage floor is back :cool:

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Took some pictures before I tossed this out

Cool old King fishfinder, pulled from the glass boat that donated the windshield that sits on my Jet :)

FishfinderF.jpg

DSCF2160.jpg

Fishfindero.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gib - You threw that old King 1011 out. Do you know how much it's worth? Ok - nothing. LOL

And how will you find your tools, etc. with a clean garage? Nothing is in the right place now?

On the boat side - Sometimes you just have to cry uncle. If the old paint is stuck good it still gives a good base for new paint.

Gibbles

Commander

Gib - You threw that old King 1011 out. Do you know how much it's worth? Ok - nothing. LOL

And how will you find your tools, etc. with a clean garage? Nothing is in the right place now?

On the boat side - Sometimes you just have to cry uncle. If the old paint is stuck good it still gives a good base for new paint.

Had me ready to dig through the garbage can there for a half second :p

And yeah, I had my tools all setup in 4.5 tool piles, very easy to work with. ;)
Now most are in that wagon, and I'm already having a hard time with it lol

my dad is going to be mad when I come and take my fancy tool box back, he has fully moved into it... :facepalm:

I'm going to give it one more go with the topside paint, but I got the inside clean enough to glue carpet up. prev owner used house paint to cover up some of the blue.
it did not look good...

From there I'll work on the hull and getting everything back together until I have the $ for that soda blaster. :D

And I still have to take the ign switch down to a locksmith for a key, I have not tested the 65hp merc yet.

barato2

Commander

prolly cheaper to just replace the switch than have locksmith custom make a key from an imprint.

boat is lookin great. you'll like the carpet plan....my Starchief has that and i suspect it will really make it a lot quieter in the cabin when underway. plus since you end up leaning against the hull some of the time when reclining, it makes a better backrest.

Gibbles

Commander

prolly cheaper to just replace the switch than have locksmith custom make a key from an imprint.

boat is lookin great. you'll like the carpet plan....my Starchief has that and i suspect it will really make it a lot quieter in the cabin when underway. plus since you end up leaning against the hull some of the time when reclining, it makes a better backrest.

Yeah all depends if he can get the blanks, usually my smith charges me about $15 to imprint a key.

And that was my thoughts with the carpet, it made a big difference on my Jet by just lining the sides.

InMotion

Commander

Hey Gibb's --- been a bit since I've been around... but looking good progress wise! Putting wood/carpet in made the Jupiter super quite... truly no complaints on my part whatsoever! No booming really at all. Had it out in a 2+ foot chop plus boat waves and had no issue with quiteness or for that mater roughness. So I recommend carpet or carpet/wood.

J.

Gibbles

Commander

Hey Gibb's --- been a bit since I've been around... but looking good progress wise! Putting wood/carpet in made the Jupiter super quite... truly no complaints on my part whatsoever! No booming really at all. Had it out in a 2+ foot chop plus boat waves and had no issue with quiteness or for that mater roughness. So I recommend carpet or carpet/wood.

J.

good to hear, and I still love how that Juniper turned out :)
I assume your getting lots of use out of that boat now :cool:

Reminds me, I have not updated my nova thread...
I have the transom fully installed with fancy brass drains, and the rear floor installed...
After that it's the Chief sucking the $$ :D

Gibbles

Commander

Ok got a bit more done :)

Sealing the deck
DSCF0571.jpg

I mixed some epoxy, it was maybe 100F outside, so I mixed well and while the epoxy thickened I rolled some wax paper to seal the holes up.
I had misss placed the mixing can I have been building a tough epoxy finish on, and started a new tin can...

Came back, picked the can up to find it melted my rubber glove, and made my hand real nice and hot
So using some tools I ripped the can part off, sat it down for a while to cool, it was very hot...
Came back to this.
Westsystemoops2.jpg

westsystemoops.jpg

This was the 1hr work time stuff... for some strange reason it went solid in about 8 min...

I had the same thing happen when working on the nova, but I was in direct sunlight then...

No big loss, I'll test how tough this stuff really is with some good ol' firearms later on :)

But I will have to go a bit thin on the west system epoxy from here on out, only paying special attention to floor pieces. :( I'm thinking valspar for the inside roof pannel...

Gibbles

Commander

Foam and rear decking installed :D
DSCF0572.jpg

Had fun with the jigsaw again
DSCF0573.jpg

Test fit of the front deck
DSCF0570.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Front deck installed!
DSCF0577.jpg

And it's very solid, very happy with how it turned out (I used 3/4)

GA_Boater

Good progress, Gib. You impact test that blob of epoxy yet?

dozerII

Admiral

Some good progress right there Gib, keep on it. Thad epoxy can sure get hot when it kicks off fast.

Gibbles

Commander

Good progress, Gib. You impact test that blob of epoxy yet?

Thanks, and not yet.

I also have this;
I have been using the same can since the Jet ;)
Will be interesting seeing if building it up in layers with crap mixed in makes any difference to a solid one shot blob.
DSCF0575.jpg

Some good progress right there Gib, keep on it. Thad epoxy can sure get hot when it kicks off fast.

Thanks, and yeah...
The air temp sure makes a difference overall
Now I'm making sure I keep mixing it; I noticed if i let it sit for a minute or so it will start getting really warm.

Nice man!:D

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this one. :cool:

Gibbles

Commander

Also my plan is to install a wall instead of the dual consoles it had, they took up way to much space.
It will open the cabin up a little, and let me support the roof a little more, hopefully keep the noise down in rough water with that conv hull setup it has :facepalm:

One example I'm looking at;
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r516/giarc_dranrab/DSC01516.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Also my plan is to install a wall instead of the dual consoles it had, they took up way to much space.
It will open the cabin up a little, and let me support the roof a little more, hopefully keep the noise down in rough water with that conv hull setup it has. One example I'm looking at: http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r516/giarc_dranrab/DSC01516.jpg

Is that webbing ratchet strap a USCG approved helm mounting apparatus? :facepalm:

I like the modern art epoxy sculpture 'in a can'.

The deck & install, w/ the knee brace cutouts all looks good. Nice progress!

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks, I still have a long ways to go though :)

And I bid on this last week and totally forgot about it, noticed I had mail in my Ebay folder and finally checked it...
I won it on Saturday, paid yesterday with an apology :facepalm:

Anyways here she is! (pic from Ebay Ad)
SteeringWheel.jpg

And it's 15in
I did not score it as cheap as my last ebay steering wheel, but I think it will go well with the boat :cool:

GA_Boater

Nice wheel, Gib. It suits the StarChief nicely.

Is that webbing ratchet strap a USCG approved helm mounting apparatus? :facepalm:

If milk crates are USCG approved, why not? :p

InMotion

Commander

Looks great Gibbs... I can already visualize you cruisin along.... now back to boat building business! :)