18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Thanks for the input!

They look nice
For the size I need it's almost $200 each :(
Example: http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/SWIVEL-EZE-238833LSM1-POWER-PED-2-38IN-25IN-32IN_p_17639.html

To get an idea of what I'm hoping for are removable pedestals, allowing me to stow the seats in the front cabin and have open deck space, + have the option to drive standing if I wish.

I can't tell... but are those removable or fixed bases?

ETA: found it cheaper here on iboats!
http://www.iboats.com/POWER-PED-2-3-8IN-25IN-32IN-Swivl-Eze/dm/view_id.941490

Gibbles

Commander

Ok found these that look good...
http://www.iboats.com/28-Fixed-Heig...7860796--session_id.405923369--view_id.373411

and from springfields scratch and dent:
http://www.springfieldmarinescratchanddent.com/servlet/the-784/Plug-dsh-In-Floor-Base-9"/Detail
Mixed with
http://www.springfieldmarinescratchanddent.com/servlet/the-968/Trac-dsh-Lock-III-Air-Ride/Detail

has the power handle thing... not sure if it will work with a solid tube... but I have a die grinder...

Gibbles

Commander

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on half of the setup.

From that scratch and dent store, I got two seat sockets for $10 each, universal seat mount for 8$, stainless seat locking slider for $10, and a single seat swivle end.

from iboats I ordered a single 28in tube.

everything seems to be labled as driver rated, so I'll set up both seats up mostly the same :)

I had to cheap out a little, but getting enough to finish mounting the seating locations, and I'll be able to mock the seating up this way, and finish it up when I have the $$ :cool:

Gibbles

Commander

I received my order, everything looks great except the seat posts have a B sticker and says "do not exceed 5mph"
:confused:

I had to double check I got the correct tube, and I did...
On springfields site:
http://www.springfieldgrp.com/produ...xed-height-posts/fixed-height-posts/3300728-2
Rated as AD (Driver)

oh well, I'm going off of what Springfield says, and ignoring the sticker on the post.

I also got everything from the Springfield scratch and dent, I don't see any blems other than a slightly low spot in one of the floor sockets.

The seat slider I ordered I had hoped they were a little more straight forward, but it appears I need to build a frame for it as it's not meant to attach directly to the seat.

And the seat mount that goes onto the top of the post, works perfectly, and the hight adjustment does not get in the way of anything :)

I also have the consoles cut and fitted, I tried to fit the face of the consoles as flush with the curve of the top as I could, it was a very slow fitting.

My plans are to get some epoxy coated on the wood tonight, and hopefully start mounting everything on the driver side so I can mock up the seats and get some holes cut in the floor for the seat mounts.

Updated pictures tonight or tomorrow. :)

I also have the mounts installed for the side pannels, I fit the pannels and I'm not happy with the way they turned out, so I'm going to get some more 1/2in and redo them.

And I'm kicking my self, I should of ordered the other seat mount, they are now out of stock. :(

When I made the order they had lots

Gibbles

Commander

Here is my seat setup.
DSCF2244.jpg

And I coated the helm box in epoxy last night, giving everything a test fit
DSCF2245.jpg

Face plate on.
DSCF2246.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

And I made a copy of the side panels when I took everything apart...

But I made some changes to the way the floor sits, and now the panels are all wrong

First change was the 3/4in floor instead of 1/2in.

Other change was with the stringers, one of the stringers was all bent up when I took the boat apart

I assumed this was because the rotted floor and weight of stuff in the boat over the years, so I flattened it out, drilled the ends of the cracks, reinforced with aluminum angle and riveted in place to ensure it would not bend or break.

But when I put the floor in I found out the stringer on that side was too tall, even though it was identical to the other side...

So I put the stringer in closer to the center and shimmed the flooring with some aluminum strips...

I have been thinking about making he side pannels go all the way to the top, and cutting in holes for the side storage.

So I think I'll run with that now.

here is a shot of the other side as it sits now.
DSCF2247.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Right now I'm trying to figure out how far back from the helm I should mount the seats...

And I also have the splash well in with two rivets for fitting proposes, but the only thing keeping me from fully installing it is the fact that I'm having issues getting the post light off of the back.

Someone installed it by using bolts and screws, and they used a jam nut on the end of those screws.

I cannot get the screws out, and 3 out of 4 screws are stuck on there, and it's too tight to get a cut off tool in there...

Other option is to destroy the light post, but it's in really good condition and I was hoping to reuse it

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gib - On the rear light, can you loosen the clamp barrel and pull the post up and out? most of the post lights do. Then drill the screws from the top.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Smokes, that seat pedestal is the size of a telephone pole!

She's coming together man, cool!

Gibbles

Commander

Gib - On the rear light, can you loosen the clamp barrel and pull the post up and out? most of the post lights do. Then drill the screws from the top.

Nope, tried and failed.
Another issue is the light mounting is loose, so it will flop around and also makes drilling out the screws hard...
If it was tight and well mounted I would just leave it alone :facepalm:

Smokes, that seat pedestal is the size of a telephone pole!

She's coming together man, cool!

Yeah, it looks pretty long, good news is I can cut it down as needed.

I did some fitting and sat the windshield up there, and it's almost perfect as it sits :)

DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2250.jpg

Angles don't quite capture it well, but I might need to trim a few inches off of the post.

But as it sits currently, I can see over the front well, and the windshield seems to be high enough to protect me from those cold early spring/fall wind. :cool:

Next fun will be mounting the windshield.

The way I want to mount it requires it to be close to the sides...
In 63 they had a lot of curve to the top, and I'm not sure I can clamp it down like I did on the Jet Star.

Also any middle spaces I think I can fill in by modding the center windshield.
FIL has a glass cutter he used for his boat, so glass shape should not be an issue when I trim down the frame

Front shot,
DSCF2251.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

And the little side project that slowed me down for two weeks...

My lawn was suffering from all of this boat work, plus alergies to grass got me modivated to find a quality bottom feeder riding mower.

$80 for the mower + $50 worth of parts (including the wrong part :facepalm: ) and I'm mowing my lawn with a smug look on my face :D

DSCF2253.jpg

1984 murray mower haha

Required a transaxle rebuild... I thought I threw away $80 there for a short time, but it worked out great!

Life is good being a bottom feeder sometimes :cool:

Another plus: someone build a fancy front bumper with a hitch mount, so I tossed on a spare ball I had floating around.

It will serve to move the boats around the yard woohoo!

I won't lie... I park the mower in view of the neighbor that just spent 3k on a new john deer riding mower...
Does that make me a bad person? ;)

And next weekend will be my heater core in my Blazer... (punishment for above I'm sure)
I'm planning on 16hrs, as I have to fully remove my dash board and my right fender... :facepalm:

GA_Boater

I won't lie... I park the mower in view of the neighbor that just spent 3k on a new john deer riding mower...
Does that make me a bad person? ;)

Yes, you be bad. Ha, Ha

And next weekend will be my heater core in my Blazer... (punishment for above I'm sure)
I'm planning on 16hrs, as I have to fully remove my dash board and my right fender... :facepalm:

I feel for you, Gib. Heater cores and A/C condensers rate right up there with paint stripping and trailer work. :(

Gibbles

Commander

Yes, you be bad. Ha, Ha

I feel for you, Gib. Heater cores and A/C condensers rate right up there with paint stripping and trailer work. :(

Darn... lol,

And yeah... I really don't want to change it out, but when it goes below 20 I'm going to need it. :(

I kept thinking about gulvit... did you know you can water the stuff down (with water!), it just takes longer to cure...
fill the core with that stuff, let it thicken, then pump it out with some compressed air...

then I thought.. with my luck it might work until it gets really cold, then pop again... that is if that idea even worked :rolleyes:

And I gave the seat a good test, I can rotate the seat around, put my feet up on the splash well and fish!

and I there is no way I can fit any seats behind the port and starboard, oh well!

GA_Boater

The Gluvit might work for a little while until the hot water/anti-freeze works some bad magic. In the old days before cars ran so hot for emissions some mashed potatoes were stuck in the radiator and would fix cracked blocks. My Dad told be that one and swore it worked. Now he was talking about Model A Fords.

Maybe you can't get all the seats you want but at least you can fish with your feet on the splashwell.

Gibbles

Commander

The Gluvit might work for a little while until the hot water/anti-freeze works some bad magic. In the old days before cars ran so hot for emissions some mashed potatoes were stuck in the radiator and would fix cracked blocks. My Dad told be that one and swore it worked. Now he was talking about Model A Fords.

Maybe you can't get all the seats you want but at least you can fish with your feet on the splashwell.

lol, I have heard some wild stories about duct tape... but never mashed taters!

You know, sitting clear up on that pole I call a seat, I imagine a nice view looking down at the water, fishing pole in hand.

and the feet up on the splash well = just right! :D

GA_Boater

All you need is a cooler at your feet, a cup holder and you're set for all day. :D

jlwood3

Cadet

It's looking great! On that light, is there any way to drill or grind off the head of the screws from the top?

Gibbles

Commander

It's looking great! On that light, is there any way to drill or grind off the head of the screws from the top?

There is if I destroy the light base; the screws are recessed into the base :(

I think I'm headed that way no matter what from the looks of it

I think the best way at this point is to slice down into the base cutting the head off of the screws with a cut off tool.

Gibbles

Commander

All you need is a cooler at your feet, a cup holder and you're set for all day. :D

Yes, cup holders... need some good cup holders... and one for the mower!

I have dreams of a mini bar too... :)

InMotion

Commander

Lookin' good man! I like the summer setup you have there... keeps you dry and shaded!

Just the Blazer to fix --- and you'll be back to boat buildin'??? :)

J.