18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

great looking transom, wax paper hmmm, would definately keep the critters out. like the paint idea too. although I would prefer a darker blue. What can I say, I went all white BORING figured I could change the guts easier later.

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks

And yeah the waxpaper makes it very easy, and it will hold the epoxy in place, handy if I want to do two sides at once.

and the thought of trying to get the stripes perfect/even on the sides might = one solid color in the end :)

once I get the paint stripped off of the top and inside I'll get gulvit applied and start getting it together :cool:

Gibbles

Commander

Over the weekend I gave it another go with but with Klean strip premium.

Overall it worked just as good as the Jasco stuff I had been using (burned skin every bit as bad!), but I added a stiff brush found in the cleaning isle at Lowes, it's a natural short firm bristle screw on broom attachment, big improvement.

before I had just been applying and running the powerwasher (low pressure automotive use one) to remove the paint.

I got most of the paint off of the gunwales and off of the transom area, but small patches remain.

I ran into a little bit of a show stopper though, pulled into the store in the middle of this and came out to a green puddle under my truck.
My radiator had a good life at almost 150k but it failed. :(
Apparently the recent heat has been hard on radiators
My next door neighbor had one fail in his S10 and my Dad lost his a few weeks ago as well.

I miss the old days, when I could pull out my radiator, take it down to a shop, pay $20 and have it welded up and steam cleaned at the same time and be ready to rock.
nowadays with the plastic and aluminum construction we just throw the old away and buy a new one :(

I found a new one on amazon for $120 with next day shipping, and made by the OEM company, just not with the AC delco brand.

New OEM = almost $300, and local after market = $160 + tax

Replacing the water pump and hoses while I'm at it as well, they did well, but I expected the water pump to go around 120k :p

and my neighbor ended up loosing his head gasket over the whole thing, I think he had an air pocket trapped at his thermostat and it never opened :(

oh well slows me down a bit but I'm still moving forward, if all goes well I'll have this thing on the water by fall, and then over the winter I can finish up the interior (on the jet and the chief lol) :)

InMotion

Commander

Sorry to hear about the rad... but it did you well!!! Glad to read that things are moving forward with the stripping... how much do you figure you have left?

North Beach

Commander

Yeah don't you just love how all the dumb stuff gets in the way of boat buildin?

Gibbles

Commander

Sorry to hear about the rad... but it did you well!!! Glad to read that things are moving forward with the stripping... how much do you figure you have left?

Thanks, and I would say I still have about 95% of the boat left :facepalm:

Yeah don't you just love how all the dumb stuff gets in the way of boat buildin?

Yeah... and my wife?s car still needs more love, her torque converter is apparently trying to lock when idling...
She had no idea how to describe it to me until I started driving her car this week... :facepalm:
Most likely it will be in the valve body, so when changing her fluid out I'll give the solenoids a good cleaning and hope.

The fun... :rolleyes:

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Gib, it's always something, Honey-do list or vehicles will get in the way of boat building.

64osby

Admiral

Vehicles are great when they run. PITA when work is needed. Kind of like computers.

Replaced the Caprice wagon radiator a few weeks ago. Last week one of the hose clamps failed while going down the hwy. Immediate exit and thrilled to see a NAPA store on the corner. Drifted in with the gauge spiked.

New clamp and fluids and all was good, luckily. It was 104 in the shade.

Hope your back to boats soon.

North Beach

Commander

Or you could be on a road trip in say, Wyoming and have a seam burst on the PLASTIC portion of the radiator in your 65k dollar diesel truck...sheesh!:eek:

Gibbles

Commander

Hey Gib, it's always something, Honey-do list or vehicles will get in the way of boat building.

Yeah, atleast with the S10 I saw some issues with the cooling system coming, but I figured just a flush and a water pump. :)

Vehicles are great when they run. PITA when work is needed. Kind of like computers.

Replaced the Caprice wagon radiator a few weeks ago. Last week one of the hose clamps failed while going down the hwy. Immediate exit and thrilled to see a NAPA store on the corner. Drifted in with the gauge spiked.

New clamp and fluids and all was good, luckily. It was 104 in the shade.

Hope your back to boats soon.

It looks like I should be shortly :)

Or you could be on a road trip in say, Wyoming and have a seam burst on the PLASTIC portion of the radiator in your 65k dollar diesel truck...sheesh!:eek:

ouch!
I had to wonder why the heck they decided plastic would be a great idea, I know it comes down to $$, but even all of the after market ones are the same way. :(

And I did a bit more testing of my wifes car issue, and it only does it when the AC is on.

There is a bit of a bog when reving the engine at the low end, so I suspect it's doing it when the engine is loaded when at a stop in drive, with AC on.

Engine has to give it more throttle to get the idle RPM higher, lags then revs causing the TC to start engaging and the car jerks a little.

Good because I hate digging into a tranny when still on the car.

This will save me some time, but I still have to change her trans fluid, GM did away with the dipstick so it's a treat, both filling and checking level... :rolleyes:

Gibbles

Commander

Truck all fixed, and wifes car.. well it's not the trans :D

I have her running two cans of seafoam through it to see what happens.
Good chance it might be an O2 sensor or a fuel injector.

Back on the boat...

I picked up another jug of stripper and gave it another go.
top side is still a pain, but the sides went much smoother, the paint on the stern pretty much just wiped off
and the port side is mostly stripped, I just need to hit it again this weekend and scrub away.

soda blaster money is going to an new pressure washer as it decided to break, and it's borrowed so it has a higher priority. :facepalm:
I'm looking to upgrade it to a model that holds soap since it's just a car washer model... :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gib - Give that Murphy gut a swift kick in the _________. Insert appropriate word. At least you got the truck going.

barato2

Commander

Gib--you're absolutely right, it's most probably oxy sensor. where those make the most difference is in just-off-idle throttle response, and on-off thottle transitions, which seems to be exactly what you're describing.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

never fails, it's alway's something. glad i'm beyond the stripping,priming and painting phase. alway's nice to be putting things back together. And always bad to be spending $$$ on something other than the boat when that is supposed to be the "project"

Gibbles

Commander

Gib - Give that Murphy gut a swift kick in the _________. Insert appropriate word. At least you got the truck going.

Yes, and the truck gets me to the lake for those days where I want to relax and fish. :)
Good ol trusty Jet :D

Gib--you're absolutely right, it's most probably oxy sensor. where those make the most difference is in just-off-idle throttle response, and on-off thottle transitions, which seems to be exactly what you're describing.

Yeah, glad to hear someone else follows my think'n :cool:
I put the seafoam in part to clean and figuring if something is about to fail, hopefully it will trigger it and throw a nice (clear)code.

never fails, it's alway's something. glad i'm beyond the stripping,priming and painting phase. alway's nice to be putting things back together. And always bad to be spending $$$ on something other than the boat when that is supposed to be the "project"

Yeah, I would say the stripping phase is not my favorite.
and the $ I'm spending on paint stripper could of covered what I need in plywood.

Gibbles

Commander

well I think I stripped as much paint on the inside of the boat as I'm going to deal with, hopefully this weekend I'll start with the gluvit

Any tips for prep and application?

I used paint stripper on most of the rivets on the inside, and then powerwashed off.
(I had some tar type substance all over the bottom, I think the prev owner tried to seal a failing floor at one point)

Gibbles

Commander

From what I have been reading it's pretty much just clean, and rough up the application areas.

I recall someone mentioning washing with vinegar or something to help "etch" the metal.

But I can't find it... :)

North Beach

Commander

Gibbles, 50/50 vinegar and water solution and then a real good rinsing before Gluvit/primer/paint. Have you water tested?

Gibbles

Commander

Gibbles, 50/50 vinegar and water solution and then a real good rinsing before Gluvit/primer/paint. Have you water tested?

Thanks, and yes, I filled it full of water and did not find any leaks.

Gibbles

Commander

A few current pictures
I did not get much done over the weekend other than cleaning out the garage :)

DSCF2167.jpg

DSCF2165.jpg

Inside paint and topside is really on there, decided I'm going to call it gtg and paint or cover with carpet.
DSCF2166.jpg