18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

pfft!!

marine grade quality man! :lol:

While doing the kitchen we needed to trim off a few things, so I ran out to the garage for some aluminum trim!

my FIL thought I was funny, the wife was not amused.

I would of laughed too, but I was serious and had to play it off like :smile::happy::distrust::apathy:

What's wrong with them Chris??? Everyone here knows, that everything looks better trimmed out in Aluminum. You may have to get the Wife and Fil to do a little Starmada browsing, so they understand EH:rolleyes:

Gibbles

Commander

Who would not like aluminum secured with aluminum rivets. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Who would not like aluminum secured with aluminum rivets. :)

The Admiralty may have started a slow burn when you whipped out the 5200. :argue: Did you epoxy the underlayment? :topsy_turvy:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your Starchief is a cuddy

Cuddys often have galleys

Galleys are boat kitchens that are usually outfitted w/ smaller versions of home fixtures, curtains et al...

Seems natural to maintain a continuity of design thought making the boat more 'homey' & somewhere she'd like to spend time :rolleyes:

So it only makes since to do the same for you making home more boaty.....:facepalm:

I have not run this ^^^ hypothesis thru my Admiral's thought engine, nor am I likely to ever do so. Random boat parts anywhere but undercover, in the boat, or in the garage is generally met w/ long, harsh KP duty & access denial*

No explanation should be needed ;)

barato2

Commander

hmm. boat parts under the covers are OK but anywhere else gets you a denial of access? sounds kinky. are you sure your spouse is not a closeted/latent MBSer? ;)

i only WISH my kitchen looked half as nice as some of the ones i've seen in boats. my buddy is shopping for a 45'+ sailboat (huge buyer's market there, prices very cheap at moment) and keeps sending me pix of kitchens that are bigger than mine and full o wood to boot.

Gibbles

Commander

ok some pictures while I process the trailer... :D

DSCF2556_zps546e4461.jpg

DSCF2558_zps09ba6405.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Sealing up the splashwell pre primer
DSCF2561_zps4e808d17.jpg

DSCF2562_zps9c1c4364.jpg

Having some issues with the garage hangers... so I'm working to rush the trailer a little faster... the supports are starting to give finally :)

GA_Boater

Having some issues with the garage hangers... so I'm working to rush the trailer a little faster... the supports are starting to give finally :)

Get trailer ready before the Admiral kicks you in the middle of the night yelling "What's that noise?" :eek:

Pre-primer is looking good, Gib.

dozerII

Admiral

Coming together real nice Chris. Where is that video of the Fridge running???

Gibbles

Commander

post a video?!

what do you think I do for a living I.T.?!

I'll work something out, but right now the engine is in the backyard wrapped with tarps :lol:

Priorities are to get trailer painted, finish bunks, boat out of garage, buy 20ft angle iron for garage lifting supports, finish painting boat, mount engine and controls, finish top windshield, lake trial, test fishfinder and downriggers... ect :)

dozerII

Admiral

:whoo: short list, good on you Chris.

GA_Boater

post a video?!

what do you think I do for a living I.T.?!

I'll work something out, but right now the engine is in the backyard wrapped with tarps :lol:

Priorities are to get trailer painted, finish bunks, boat out of garage, buy 20ft angle iron for garage lifting supports, finish painting boat, mount engine and controls, finish top windshield, lake trial, test fishfinder and downriggers... ect :)

Excuses, excuses. :lol: You're not happy because the ice maker is only making chilled water, right? :rolleyes:

Getting the Starchief back on the trailer is the big priority. :)

pckeen

Commander

Boat looks amazing. I'm learning a lot reading thorugh this. Thanks and good luck! Like the list.

Gibbles

Commander

All bunks replaced and the three main ones have been coated with epoxy and carpeted.

I had planned to just re carpet the two rear side bunks, but after fighting the carpet and nails holding it together I decided to just replace with redwood like the others.

Everything on the trailer had been done with 2x6, but I messed up and bought 2x8's for the two sides

So I decided to just roll with it, wider should be better anyways right :)

I messed up and failed to get a picture, but the boat had to come down.

so back on the trailer, and I tossed the dorm room fridge on the back! :watermelon:

MountingEngine_chilled_zps764336b1.jpg

(note the chilled bear sitting on the top ;) )

One issue though, the engine is to massive to lock up, the top of the cowel hits the top of the splaswell...

So I need to put some though into this... one option is to drill the rivets out of the splashwell, slice all my pretty sealant (it's sealed on both sides of the metal :facepalm:) and push the top of the splashwell down by about a 1/2in -1in down in order to fit the fridge...

The other option is to modify the latch to allow a locking position slightly lower.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

One issue though, the engine is to massive to lock up, the top of the cowel hits the top of the splaswell...

So I need to put some though into this... one option is to drill the rivets out of the splashwell, slice all my pretty sealant (it's sealed on both sides of the metal :facepalm:) and push the top of the splashwell down by about a 1/2in -1in down in order to fit the fridge...

The other option is to modify the latch to allow a locking position slightly lower.
Ouch. Between a rock and a hard place. Moving the splashwell down is a big job. Can you afford to raise the engine on the transom by an equivalent amount? It sounds like you need very little more clearance. Another option might be a jack plate setup that would move the engine back several inches and would give lots of transom height adjustment. A different engine? I hate re-doing stuff. - Grandad

GA_Boater

Gibbers - Looking at the above pic, could the motor be a little low? Might be the angle of the pic. Raising a bit might make all the difference.

All of us complain about SC splashwells being so darn big - until now. This is a first. :) I see the fridge keeps the beer cold. :thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

man, that OB makes the Chieftan look like a falcon! Awesome!!

agree with ^^^...a jackplate would be the ticket.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Holy Shoot, that is huge!, Looks good, I would think a jack plate will cure it without destroying some fine looking work.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you only need an inch +/-, and it's at about the right height relative to the keel, I might be inclined to modify just the front of the splashwell to accommodate the motor's tilt, rather then dismantling the splashwell & lowering the whole thing.