18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Hey Chris, I cleaned all the crap out of the boat and never ran across anything like that. The only place it could be is under the bow seating. When I dig her out, she is all wrapped in tarps till rebuild time I will look for it.

no worries, I already got an engine that turns over from the deal :)

The new/used bracket should be here on friday, and it comes with a spare locking/adjusting bar :D

Gibbles

Commander

Well I got the bracket... and I'm dissapointed

While it works great, I have to remove it in order to adjust the engine down... oh well.

today I yanked the windshield off, and bought another quart of epoxy etching primer.

I cleaned the metal with the special acid wash and found out it has a neat side affect, it removes paint also :lol:

anyways if all goes well I'll have the topside painted over the next week. :D

camera is MIA; wife went out of town with her sister...

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Well I got the bracket... and I'm dissapointed

While it works great, I have to remove it in order to adjust the engine down... oh well.

today I yanked the windshield off, and bought another quart of epoxy etching primer.

I cleaned the metal with the special acid wash and found out it has a neat side affect, it removes paint also :lol:

anyways if all goes well I'll have the topside painted over the next week. :D

If it's any consolation, you have to remove transom savers as well :)

When the cats away, the mice will play! :lol:

Gibbles

Commander

If it's any consolation, you have to remove transom savers as well :)

When the cats away, the mice will play! :lol:

yeah... and atleast thing thing takes up less room than a transom saver... :D

And I totally took some time off work to go fishing w/o any nagging or risk of being hijacked ;)

The Jet star and I will have good times this week!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go for a transom saver. The tilt lock isn't made for transport. My little motor tilt lock hardware is all missing because none of the PO's used a T/S and it broke off and is laying along side a road somewhere in South Carolina. Happened long before I got her, but a T/S is on the back now.

The optional trailering bracket is the equivalent of a 2X4 under the clamp bracket from what I've seen. And probably good luck finding one after all these years. What was it, 1984 when Chrysler sold out to Force?

Remember when I said that? :watermelon: I'm not saying I told you so, but :)

I would still go with a TS. Probably easier to to take off. Sorry the bracket is a PITA.

Have fun snaggin' some fish. Gibbers

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok, let's see....

You can't find the camera, so you can't take any pix.......

There's a mythical 25ft'r that's surfaced out there, AND its close........

The wife is OUT OF TOWN............

IF the 25ftr were to wander onto the property, and there's no camera to take a pix, DID it really happen??

The mob thinketh NOT :watermelon:

Gibbles

Commander

Remember when I said that? :watermelon: I'm not saying I told you so, but :)

I would still go with a TS. Probably easier to to take off. Sorry the bracket is a PITA.

Have fun snaggin' some fish. Gibbers

Yeah that's what I was thinking, transom saver would be much eaiser to deal with, but I was hoping this thing would fold up and out of the way like how an evenrude's lock thingy does... oh well.
I also saw one like it for a newer merc while searching around on ebay, but it slides in from the side leaving your current setting alone
why oh why can't it be like that! :facepalm:

Ok, let's see....

You can't find the camera, so you can't take any pix.......

There's a mythical 25ft'r that's surfaced out there, AND its close........

The wife is OUT OF TOWN............

IF the 25ftr were to wander onto the property, and there's no camera to take a pix, DID it really happen??

The mob thinketh NOT :watermelon:

now you're just giving me ideas....

hrm 25footer with a hard top... I could "refinance" my truck (it's paid off) with the bank, they like me there... :lol:

A trip to moab would be fun, and I could talk my uncle into letting me borrow a jeep for an hr or 3 while I'm down there (has a jeep rental place)... :watermelon:

Gibbles

Commander

FIL came over and finally saw the fridge sitting on the back, first thing he noted was how clean it was.

+I had just fitted the new prop on, and painted the cone thing a nice pretty white color.

Right now it's all taped up for painting, and he commented how much he was liking the green tape color for the top side, and thought I should go with that since it kinda poped with the black bottom, and silver sides...

I was like "no way, green?!"

the more I look at it... yup he is right... it would look good... but I'm sticking with black and white... :D

GA_Boater

That's right, Gib. No pics, it never happened! :fish::D

Gibbles

Commander

Well yesterday I bought paint :D

I spoke with the same lady that had told me about this magic 3 part super paint, and she can't remember :lol:

she offered some nice and pretty paint that needed a clearcoat that would of given me the UV and ability to handle fuels dripping down on it, $170 for 2 quarts...

so I went with more of a tractor/trailer paint with hardner that will mix into about a gallon for $100 in a nice bright white.

before I was also told about a clearcoat that I can paint over bare aluminum, has a special prep cleaner that won't discolor apparently also.
I think the two would run around $120 or so... might be a good alt to sharkhyde... :)

GA_Boater

What brand of prep/clean and clearcoat is that Gib? You know the Mob - always looking for alternatives.

Gibbles

Commander

primed my splashwell with what I had left of the epoxy primer... taking a break while I read how to mix 7 to 1 using a mixing cup that lacks those numbers... :lol:

my beer and I will go figure out where the heck I put the paper... (rule I learned from my FIL; painting requires beer and sometimes a good buzz :lol:)

Gibbles

Commander

took a picture with the webcam on my laptop lol

painted!

paintedwhite_zpsbd652fc5.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

and I might of tossed the spec sheet out when I was cleaning the garage out... lost some parts also... mixed a parts box up with a garbage box :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Happens ^^^ on a multi-rig armada build :)

Paint work looks great.....

InMotion

Commander

Ahhhhh.... good to see a picture of the paint... lookin good! Web cam or not... it is a picture --- proof!

Nice progress Gibbs!

J.

Gibbles

Commander

so funny thing happened a little after this picture....

cops came over... apparently a neighbor had called them saying I had chemicals in my garage, cop said it sounded like I had some crazy stuff.
Had a good laugh, he noted how cool the boat was, I gave him a tour of my "chemicals" (aka paint), I pretty much got a pat on the back and told to keep up the good work. :lol:

some of the questions the officer asked me all had to do with what I told one neighbor after I brought Glens boat home... I know who it was... haha

drama in the culdesac :rolleyes: haha, anyways the paint turned out better than I had hoped, tomorrow I'm hoping to get a second coat down.

GA_Boater

Hope you didn't let them in the backyard with the funny tomato plants? :watermelon:

Why can't people mind their own business? At least nothing came of it except a laugh.

Gibbles

Commander

lol

and yeah, actually it was good to hear that I'm doing nothing wrong.
I told my wife about it, she said it was a big weight off of her knowing we are ok with my little hobby.

Funny side not, my one neighbor got it in his mind that I'm doing this for $$ after Glens V5 came and went, I just told him it was sold the day I bought it home. :lol:

A short time later that neighbor tried to get me to admit this was for $$. :rolleyes:

The officer asked me the same thing, asked if this was a hobby or $$ after getting my trust.
I told him there would be no money to make, and that I have over a year of my life rolled up there, and it's 100% for me. :lol:

Now I know a thing or two about how some of the laws work when doing fun things like this, first off if I'm making $$ there are some requirements since it means it's a business.

I'll have a chat with my neighbor when I get a chance, there appears to be some confusion :facepalm:

Fun side note, I have several neighbors restoring old cars, one guy even does demolition derby, so each year he has a new car he tears down welds, and slaps back together with a cheap paintjob.

And just down the street, a guy has been restoring a glasser for almost 2 years now, he even has one heck of a well built support frame/lift in his garage.

One thing my neighbor mentioned one time was me sand blasting in my backyard, and I know I'm gtg there, trailer = play sand ...for kids... :laugh:

Soda blaster = baking soda, the stuff says safe to use indoors, that would be silly though :watermelon:

Heck the soda mess cleaned it self up over the winter, pretty nice!

GA_Boater

The neighbor probably saw Glen's Sask plates and assumed your are an international dru....boat dealer. :faint2: