18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Hey - it's running. :D Hope the rest are easy fixes. Or EZ fixes. :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sweet............ EZ will be along in a bit to razz ya about no video of it coming back to life.

Some OB's do prefer tank tests to the muffs. Congrats!

Is the transom ready for a Chrysler?

Gibbles

Commander

Feels good to have a running engine, and I agree, I think it just needs to be run in a tank.

the way chrysler did the water intake is hard to get a seal with the muffs I have, Glen's boat came with a set that matched the shape of the water in take, but I boke those things just connecting the hose :lol:

And the chief should be pretty close to ready for the engine, I just need to finish painting and get the transom all polished up.

Gibbles

Commander

also about the chrysler, I found some parts listings and to check availabilty of some I tossed the PN/s into a fleebay search, I found that nearly all of them showed Merc bags, and knowing where the merc forces came from it's easy to start filling in the blanks.

And just going over this engine, I'm really liking how it was put together, seems like lots of thought was put into it, the control box even has ball bearings instead of bushings... un needed but it sure makes it smooth!

after working with mercs and a v4 evenrude, the water pump was cake, I thought Merc had it figured out, the chrysler was easy, the water tube is fixed, no messing around with lining it up!

Bottom spark plug, easy!

carbs; cake!
In my two big mercs you have to take apart half of the engine electronics and brackets to get the carbs out.

GA_Boater

Gibs - You ain't whistling Dixie about the Mercs. I like the heck out of them, but some things are pure hell. I've pulled my magneto out about 10 times over the last month on my 500. Everything has to be in the right place, shift arm/rod and hold your lips just so to get it to drop or slide back in. Compression test the bottom cylinder, grrrrr. I keep eyeing the carbs cuz a re-build is next. There goes the mag again along with the starter.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Let see some pics of the beast and I can't wait for a running video. Glad to see you are finding that there is some decent design elements in those old giants.

308px-Haters-gonna-hate-scooter.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

I'm being a bit slow with pictures, but here is a picture of it sitting on Glens boat :D
DSCF2466_zps62ea4728.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Wow, is that photoshopped or something!?!? aside from the keel & prop, It looks brand new! Congrats on bringing her back to life!!!

Gibbles

Commander

I love it when they don't fight me much :)

And yeah, it's in great condition, it is a bit sun faded but most should polish back to life, the engine cover on the other side is a bit more damaged from the sun though.

Gets even better also; it came with an almost brand new prop, same PN and pitch

barato2

Commander

nice! glad you got yerself some bottom feedin power. FWIW, my 100hp Chrysler (also a '79) had same issue with not wanting to imbibe water from the muffs, and i have the deeeluxe profeshunal set. i'm also going to use trash can for further test runs.

and glad to see that all those scoffers are figuring out that these things ain't bad motors, just hard to find parts for. Merc schmerk. :lol:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's a dorm room mini frige:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

:laugh::becky::hippie::bounce::eyebrows:

barato2

Commander

"yeah, it's got a hemi aggressively styled dorm room fridge" :watermelon:

GA_Boater

Is this a future post over in the Force/Chrysler section?

I have a 1979 Chrysler 140. It's running pretty good now after being laid up for years. Re-built the carbs, fuel pump, impeller, blew out the wasp nests, etc. It starts and idles great. On the water with my 18' Starchief I'm pulling 5600 RPM with a 19" pitch prop. 41 MPH GPS, too. Happy as a clam, I am. :D

But I still have one bothersome problem. My beer only chills to 39 degrees. Any suggestions how to get it down to 34F? :noidea: TIA

:lol::lol:

Gibbles

Commander

^ :lol: that's funny right there

I won't lie... I may use that to start my first post over there... :watermelon:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Hahah. Thats pretty good. That dorm fridge should scoot her right across the water. :D

Gibbles

Commander

nice! glad you got yerself some bottom feedin power. FWIW, my 100hp Chrysler (also a '79) had same issue with not wanting to imbibe water from the muffs, and i have the deeeluxe profeshunal set. i'm also going to use trash can for further test runs.

and glad to see that all those scoffers are figuring out that these things ain't bad motors, just hard to find parts for. Merc schmerk. :lol:

Yeah so far so good, nice part is no contacts to wear out in the dist cap like my merc 650 & 800.

I will be holding off further tests until I get the water pump kit, and also ordered is a factory shop manual (for a 1980 tho), and the correct parts catalog for why not.