18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

barato2

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

I really want it out of my garage

that's how us bottom feeders roll........;)

Gibbles

Commander

Sad thing is I have photoshop at home... :lol:

now the next question; I'm guessing I should wait for the 5200 to fully cure before painting over it right? :p

I would love to seal up the keel before spraying the epoxy primer this weekend, but I have a feeling I'll need to prime, seal, and then wait a week before I paint...
(paint stripper removed a bit of the brown factory sealant)

My other option is to get a little tube of the quick cure stuff, but I won't be able to get that till tomorrow...

Gibbles

Commander

I got the epoxy primer sprayed last night, it went very well!

I used a HF HVLP spray gun, and even though I was spraying up instead of a downward angle like the gun was built for, it did a very good job.

before spraying I lifted the boat in the air another 2 feet or so, and sanded the etching primer, overall I got the bottom of the boat pretty smooth.
the epoxy primer filled everything in from there, I think it looks pretty good :)

I was hoping the epoxy primer would cure really fast, but it looks like it will take a few days.

Last night I kicked on the garage heater as a cold front kicked through, I think it was a good 90f+ in there :lol:

InMotion

Commander

I got the epoxy primer sprayed last night, it went very well!

I used a HF HVLP spray gun, and even though I was spraying up instead of a downward angle like the gun was built for, it did a very good job.

before spraying I lifted the boat in the air another 2 feet or so, and sanded the etching primer, overall I got the bottom of the boat pretty smooth.
the epoxy primer filled everything in from there, I think it looks pretty good :)

I was hoping the epoxy primer would cure really fast, but it looks like it will take a few days.

Last night I kicked on the garage heater as a cold front kicked through, I think it was a good 90f+ in there :lol:

Awesome man!!! But no pics???? Did it really happen.... hmmmmm.... were there really ufo sightings??? hmmm :)

J.

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah lol

I tried to get pictures... they did not turn out so great... :p

Gibbles

Commander

that's about how the picture turned out :lol:

And I applied some 5200 to the Keel seam, mostly this is for looks since the damaged factory sealer kinda went all over the place... :p

The epoxy primer appears to be fully cured and solid, I tried to chip a few areas, and so far so good! :)

This weekend I should be able to start spraying the bottom black, then next: trailer!

Once I get it out of the garage I'll see how bad I did with the bottom line... if worse comes to worse, I'll paint the entire hull. :watermelon:

Gibbles

Commander

today I was planning on painting the bottom... but that 5200 is still very tacky... so hopefully next week!

jbcurt00

Staff member

How's the humidity in Utah this week? If it's really low, might try to introduce some moisture to the 5200 to speed cure.

Since it cures underwater, a light spritz/mist from a spray bottle, may help it cure faster... A tarp draped over the area w/ 5200 and a pan of water under there w/ it might do it too if it's warm enough out. NO bare woodwork under the tarp though..........

Gibbles

Commander

Well it's been raining most of the week with a little snow...

I think it's the cold mostly causing the slow cure time :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No Gibber. It's your impatience causing it to cure slow. If it was 100 degrees it still wouldn't cure fast enough. :lol: You want to slop paint - NOW. Waiting sux!

dozerII

Admiral

I hear ya on the snow Gib, same thing here, just won't quit.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think the white and black would look good. To bad on the 5200 not curing yet. Atleast it gives you another week to get everything lined up and ready to paint next weekend :D

Gibbles

Commander

Ok so this weekend was dedicated to getting the boat out of the garage to make room for Dozer's SS, and the 5200 is still just a little tacky.

I replaced the center bunk and the front side support bunks and plopped the boat down on the uncovered wood.

I forgot what a trick I had to pull to get that thing in the garage, the front support is covered by the garage door when open so I have to support the front of the boat by a jack as I work the trailer under the boat, and then once I have the front of the trailer clear of the door I close just enough to rope the boat back up to the roof and put the trailer under it... super pain in the butt!

Plan is once I pick up Dozer's boat I can back it in there, remove the bolts holding the engine on and lift the engine up and off using the chainfall hoist.

And if that engine works out, this will be powered via a 140hp Chrysler :D

and the wife liked the idea of being able to pull skiiers and tubes behind the boat, wifes are funny that way with boats...

Also I used Redwood, it was a few bucks more, but it seemed to suggest that it would rot slower... any known issues with that?

dozerII

Admiral

I like your plan Chris. Happy Wife Happy Life.

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah it does make life eaiser :lol:

And I had two boats in the front yard yesterday, Jet on the front lawn, and the Chief dead center on the drive way.

I think the neighbors will think I have totally lost it when I roll in with #4 boat :peace:

Lets make a lots of noise when you leave with it, I think the neighbors need to see one boat leaving haha

and since I have been lax on pictures

Prepaint_zps57f6878a.jpg

I have also been thinking about changing the passenger side console around, I'm thinking about loosing the console part and make it into a straight wall, and then cutting that wall in half to give it a larger opening to the cabin area...

I may just leave it as it is, but make the wall brackets only come out as far as I'm thinking to lessen holes in the metal and the natolex...

I also need to work on the cabin front windshied.... Glen I may scratch your head while your down here, if your up to it.