18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

yeah now with my luck it will get lost in shipping... :facepalm:

Parley1a

Cadet

Nice thread & boat Gib!!! I am in Neola, Ut. and I just picked up exact same boat for 1k. Your thread will be helpful as I start my rebuild. I've built a couple of street rods but will be a first boat. Luv the old stuff and am building a metal barn right now so I can keep the whole project (and plenty of others) out of the weather. Thanks for all the good pics and humor!!!

Gibbles

Commander

Nice thread & boat Gib!!! I am in Neola, Ut. and I just picked up exact same boat for 1k. Your thread will be helpful as I start my rebuild. I've built a couple of street rods but will be a first boat. Luv the old stuff and am building a metal barn right now so I can keep the whole project (and plenty of others) out of the weather. Thanks for all the good pics and humor!!!

Nice!
these are easy, wood is so easy, any mess ups can be fixed with as little alum trimming via home depot.

This boat was done 100% with cordless tools too!

You should be half way between flaming gorge and strawberry, keep an eye open for me, those are the two lakes I have in mind for this boat :)

You must have looked at the shipping threads in Dockside! :laugh:

nope, but I just did :lol:

Parley1a

Cadet

looks just like my chieftain and pretty close to same condition I am starting with. I have a cracked windshield. Verticle crack right in the middle. Is it possible to repair? Windshield shops won't touch the polycarbonate stuff and I don't want to spend the high bucks to have a custom made.

Gibbles

Commander

got my downrigger, looked great, and the seller did an awesome job with the packaging.

it did have a broken rear pully mount, but the seller did everything he could of to prevent any damage so I was happy.
but he returned $18 towards a new pully/mount anyways :D (new pully + mount = $22), but I have it stuck together with a lil glue, it will do for now.

I also pinched a LED strip light in the driver console, I bought solder to fix it... but I dunno where I stuck it :lol:

oh yeah I also got a richie compass from the same seller, lights up n stuff, very cool!
Paid about $10 and it rode on the downrigger shipping.

Gibbles

Commander

today I also went to the paint supply shop for another box of rubber gloves, while there I picked up a larger foam cutting pad for polishing, and some green masking tape (I heard it was the bees knees for paint work), but they also had yellow tape... noidea what the difference is. :)

I coated some more pannels with epoxy for the cabin, I have alot more to go there...

and for the cabin I decided to use the original pannels, they were in good enough shape, and decided it would be to much work to make new ones.
Overall they were like a sponge and sucked the epoxy in, making for some nice and strong pannels :)

Gibbles

Commander

Well I got scored some more rod holders, and I got a dewalt 12in mitre saw from a pawnshop for a song, and $5 from lowes and I got a metal cutting blade!

I tried it out on some scrap first, but I was finally able to cut down one of those seat posts, took about 4in off and it's feeling much better!
One issue tho, the seat posts have a slight bevel to them, cutting off the ends per what springfield suggests makes it a little hard to insert in the sockets.

After cleaning up the edges I just sat down on the seat and worked my tush, and it seated!

Nice part is the seat has 0 wobble now, but it's hard to remove :lol:

also the plastic insert for the seat socket kinda sticks up just a lil from the socket... so it might be a bad thing...

the other post I might trim from the other end, but I will need to drill and dremel 4 notches for the seat swivel/lock function...

I also scored more tube type adjustable rod holders from fleebay, 2 big jon, and one lok tite, I'm liking the lok tite ones alot, and they are half the price of the big jon's new!

Pictures to come... wife has the camera... again... :rolleyes:

Gibbles

Commander

allright, on friday I went down to the paint supply shop and picked up a gallon of black paint with hardner for $45.

I was told this stuff was super tough and would stick to anything, went on to say you don't even need a primer...
Apparently a local shop that builds trailers uses it on all of their builds.

So I also got some of their super primer that's also a 2 part, and 4 cans of etching zinc primer from HD (paint shop was unsure if theirs was zinc).

From the pro shop I also got a nice painting mask, spray on paint stripper, some scuffing pads, and more green tape, with everything I spent about $120...

so over the weekend I sanded, and the sanded some more, I only have one good hand so my right arm hurts lol...
Yesterday I masked where I think I want the bottom line to be, I'm trying to keep the line straight as it goes to the bow... I think I came close... I really lack the space in the garage to stand back and look at it... meh.

At the bow I pretty much eye balled a straight line and pulled the tape straight out in that direction, and met both ends at the same point, and then stuck it to the side.
I confirmed location with the rivets... I think it will be close...
so right now I have a light coat of eching primer on the bottom, and I'm planning on running the side bare nekid, with a coat of sharkhide to seal it up.

I'm also planning on making the top side white... but now I'm wondering if it would look better if I made the bottom white as well; but I already have a gallon of the black paint :lol:

Gibbles

Commander

I just thought of an idea.... paint the top of the side just under the bow rail black also, and then continue on with the white topside.

Gibbles

Commander

kinda like this... but imagine the silver as shiney :p
PaintIdeaCurrent_zps64d2fd02.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That will be sharp.

Gibbles

Commander

The other idea is this... but I would have a ton of black paint left over after I paint the trailer... :p

PaintIdeaCurrentWhite_zps9c121a38.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

and since I'm on a roll, if i screw up and end up painting the sides...

Also edited the bottom paint line a little
CurrentBnWhite_zps29a477d3.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

kinda like this... but imagine the silver as shiney :p

I think that would be sharp, Gib. I added a little graphic detail on the rear side of the cabin. Just a thought.

InMotion

Commander

Looks good man... I like either the white or the black on the bottom... but prolly the white more.... but what do I know... I never paint the hull anyways!!! :D :)

J.

Gibbles

Commander

I think that would be sharp, Gib. I added a little graphic detail on the rear side of the cabin. Just a thought.

Looks good, I like :D

Looks good man... I like either the white or the black on the bottom... but prolly the white more.... but what do I know... I never paint the hull anyways!!! :D :)

J.

Yeah lol, if I had an easy way to flip this thing I might think about it, but at this point... I'm done stripping paint :lol:

I have a gallon of that black, and I really want it out of my garage... so I think I'll roll with it.

BonairII

Commander

Looks good, I like :D

Yeah lol, if I had an easy way to flip this thing I might think about it, but at this point... I'm done stripping paint :lol:

I have a gallon of that black, and I really want it out of my garage... so I think I'll roll with it.

JMO....but don't paint the top of your gunwales black. They'll get hot as heck in the sun.