18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Got it Gibs. Let me put the thinkin' cap on. :sleeping:

GA_Boater

OK Gibs - I think this is it. You will have to figure out which M is the un-switched ground connection.

Gibbles

Commander

sounds right, one thing is on C, it should be when the ign is on or in start pos power will be applied when pushing the key in.

My 650 on the Jet came with one of those switches, "push to choke".
Prev owner did a bunch of tinkering...
Sad thing is he had it all working, he just missed one minor detail, the harness plug was rotted out on one connector.
Poor guy too; his wife ran the sale while he stayed quiet and helped me load it in my truck. :p

just the jet is still frozen... if all else fails that is... :)

GA_Boater

C should be hot when on or start and key pushed in. I was running out of room in my little pic to say that. It may be hot when off and pushed in, it depends how the switch is made. Won't hurt anything as long as it's hot to close the choke when starting.

Was the Jet a SWMBO sale? :lol: Tell me about rotted harnesses. I could look at mine and watch the insulation crumple. And when I touched it. Holey Moley - piles of plastic dust.

Warm weather is coming, Gibs. I hope.

Gibbles

Commander

it may of been lol

and I started wiring up the new ign switch yesterday, snipped all of my soldered connections to what I thought was the wrong ign switch...

so I spend some time, cut and strip all of the wires to the same length, grab some connectors, remove the little plastic protector (takes to much room), cut some shrink tubes, carfully put the tubes on each wire, crimp the connector, apply solder (finally got a new tip!) shrink the tubes all perdy and seal... start wiring the switch up following the manual and using a volt meter to confirm what the switch does.

I get all done, confirm everything is as it should be via manual, then I notice I'm following the 850 diagram :facepalm:
I review the 650 diagram and confirm everything is good (I had to swap one wire due to color)
great! I pat my self on the back for a job well done!

Then I'm looking at the switch diagram.. notice I don't have anything for that silly Off position to Ground...
confirmed again everything matches the manual... then I notice the position that connects off to ground "off": E-D (hard to see the "E" on the diagram") has nothing connected to it!! :facepalm:

so the switch I got off of Ebay was correct after all, but this one has push key in to choke!

The Jet has finally defrosted, so I can see how the heck I wired that thing to confirm... :p

Things go so much better when I have the boat/engine in front of me instead of trying to go from memory or a fuzzy drawing. :watermelon:

GA_Boater

Shouldn't "E" be 12 volts? "M" is the ground in "OFF". Am I missing something?

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah you would think that right?!

but nope... off just sits on ground, nothing else... I have no idea why.

E = 12 v

I = ign on

S = Starter

C = choke

M = ground, but noting connects to ground when off!

Gibbles

Commander

Ignswitch_zps67228131.jpg

E = the spot where nothing is connected (I'll confirm when I get home from work via the old ign switch)

GA_Boater

Thought you were using this switch:

Gibbles

Commander

now you're just trying to confuse me! :p

and to be honest I picked a random image on that page to get clear letters from (pretending to work). lol

correction soon!

ETA: yeah the image you posted is correct, the one I posted is the OEM factory wiring diagram (snipped out of that PDF I emailed you).

So the new switch matched to the OEM manual should be like this

E = 12 v

I = ign on

S = Starter

C = choke

M = ground, but nothing connects to ground when off!

GA_Boater

I'm the one confused. See how easy that was. :lol:

Gibbles

Commander

and I'm totally posting while in a meeting about smartcards... smartcards are fun and interesting!

jbcurt00

Staff member

and I'm totally posting while in a meeting about smartcards... smartcards are fun and interesting!

Oy~Vay, smartcards.... Wouldn't it just be easier to put an rfid chip linked to my credit card/bank in my hand & just be done w/ it. Or a permanent barcode tattoted on the back of my hand? :mad-new:

handchip_300-truthdig-27761-20090422-1.jpg

1 step closer to StarTrek :wacko:

Gibbles

Commander

Well these are V smartcards... so I think you can just imagine the smartcard and boom!

next: Get a beer with my mind!

Finally: force powers with extra lightning bolts!

GA_Boater

Isn't smart card just another name for "wise azz". Must be a boring meeting, like most.

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah the part where I had to pay attention was at the start, rest was all nitpicking at stuff.

Anyways all done, back to waiting for something to break, or someone screwing up... :p

Gibbles

Commander

Well we had a nice day yesterday so I started a little work on the trailer.
Started sandblasting the front using playsand run through a screen and a HF sandblaster.

Everything was going great until I had an idiot moment, this trailer has one of those quick disconnects to assist in unloading at the lake, and for some reason I thought the front slid out of the frame for storage...
So I unlatched, and then picked up the front of the trailer to put it up on a box, sat it down kinda hard but did not notice the front had dropped out pinching the tip of my left middle finger.

so today my middle finger is swolen all the way down, and my left hand has some extra thickness to it...
Playing around with the tip of the finger... yup broken right under the nail (straight middle of the end joint)... :faint2: :laugh:

64osby

Admiral

Gib - Man that sucks, but sounds like it could have been much worse.

Now you have a big bird to flip others off.

Duck tape and a Popsicle stick and you're good to go.:joyous:

GA_Boater

Darn it, Gib! Didn't you see all the yellow warnings pasted all over the trailer? :eek: Oh, they all fell off over the years. OK - Then just be careful or the glasser guys will say "Told ya" even if the trailer was the cause of the injury. No more from a meeting posts for a while?
Might be hard mashing the keys.

Gibbles

Commander

lol yeah luckly due to where it is, it's more anoying than anything else.

I was unsure if it was even broken till I could see the space, I think it will heal up quickly.
The finger next to it was flat out broken off, that one sucked due to the tendons kept pulling it off again lol
Doc said I would loose it but I made them stitch it back on, later after it looked like it would not kill me, I got a long pin inserted. :p (motorcycle/dirtbike)

Yeah this is nothing :)