18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Ok so in prepping for the nautolex install, I had already countersunk all of the floor rivets, so I filled those over with epoxy, and skim coated the floor seam, and then used my handy wood shaving tool (I forget the name) to shave everything flush with the floor, and it trimmed off a little of some of the rivet heads that stuck up a little, making for a smooth nautolex install!

DSCF2406_zpsf6c787dd.jpg

And I borrowed the Admiral's rolling pin to get the air pockets out of there, it worked pretty good.

So far I'm not seeing any obvious seams or rivets showing through. :)

I'll get more pictures soon, but it went in very smooth, and the back of the nautolex is cloth like the marine vinyl I used on the consoles.

I'm happy with the nautolex stuff so far, it feels tough but not hard to work with. :cool:

And the color I think was the best choice, it's a bit lighter than I was expecting, but the grey specks are the same color as the carpet on the sides, and it should look sharp with black vinyl. :watermelon:

dozerII

Admiral

Looking real good Gib :rockon:, I to like working with the vinyl flooring. Don't know if I missed it somewhere,:sleeping: but what did you use for glue?

Gibbles

Commander

Oh I got impatient and threw away the instructions :laugh: :peep:

And I can't get the stuff from any of my normal trusted sources, and every place I looked noted they order directly from redrum and to allow a month wait. :facepalm:

But after seeing the backing I decided to test a small piece with the glue I have been using (outdoor carpet glue) it had no problem sticking that stuff to anything including a piece of nautolex that got stuck to the bottom of my shoe (still there lol and wearing very well!).

I applied and let it cure for a good 10 min before applying, put it down, and I was able to adjust it for the first few minutes, but after that it would not allow any further adjustments.

I accept that it will take a few weeks to fully cure in this cold (experience from the vinyl on the consoles) but that's fine and the correct glue has the same info

I don't think I will have any issues, if I do I'll post it.

One issue; warranty on the vinyl since I did not use their product.

I also bought the Nautolex from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370684084385

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice deck, Gib. Hope you cleaned the wifes's rolling pin real good - Or else! :sorry: :smash:

InMotion

Commander

Looks great Gibbs! Nice color and looks smooth as a baby's bum! Keep us posted on how the piece on your shoe wears --- hope your wearing a pedometer --- or whatever those things are called that tracks the number of steps you take!!!

J.

Gibbles

Commander

Ty, I'm happy with it :)

Yeah, the rolling pin is still in the boat... but clean!

And the best part about having a piece of the nautolex on my shoe is the ability to show off my color choice. :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great looking vinyl work!

Better get the rolling pin back where it belongs....

Gibbles

Commander

Rolling pin returned!

and I got a little more done.

Splashwell is installed, and I finished the little side trim pieces to cover up all of the holes.
DSCF2410_zpse677caa9.jpg

DSCF2409_zps0af408d5.jpg

DSCF2408_zps0f6dd4bd.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

DSCF2407_zps435f3c9f.jpg

I still need to take about 4in off of those seat posts...

GA_Boater

Good progress, Gib. Looks like you're headed for a Spring splash.

Gibbles

Commander

It's been a cold winter, The thought of spring out on the lake keeps me going!
but we are getting lots of snow; and that = more water for the lakes around me!

I'm shooting for a late spring early summer splash since I still have a trailer refurb paint, and the cabin still needs lots of work.

I also ran the LED strip lights, each strip had enough to run along the side of the splashwell, all the way to the front of the boat.

I tested them out with a 9v battery and they look good!

I got two types the first one I bought kinda sucked and I had to use some super 77 spray glue to make it stick, I also ordered it directly from china... I'm using that one to light up under the splashwell and it will have it's own switch.
the other set I bought came in a nice pretty package, shipped from the US, and it was very easy to work with and had no issues sticking up.
I installed the better ones under the gunwales.

anyone thinking about them, get these ones; ebay

I'll get some pictures of the lighting once I get some more wiring done, right now I have to hold the wire ends to the 9v battery :lol:

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job Gib, the Ebay seller won't ship to Canada though, that sucks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey Dozer, ship the LEDs to Starcrafter in Buffalo, NY. Maybe he can send them w/ the SOTY plaque..........

Any mob member close to the border would probably be willing to ship 'em to ya, if he's already sent the plaque....... Esp 1 glass boat butcher selling off parts & pieces to fund his tandem tin builds :)

GA_Boater

Gibs - Nice find on the LED lights.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the link Gibs. I might trick out the interior of my Chief this spring. Another painful color choice on the horizon.

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

I was just looking through alot of your pics and the boat looks to be coming along well. I myself purchased a 64 for 350 but it was in need of repair so I am doing the exact same thing as you going through the whole boat. I am looking for parts, windshields, transom caps front hatch cover if you found any places that may have that stuff in your rebuild. I have pulled everything out of of the boat and i'm stripping all the aluminum right now. One question i had was are you leaving the back crossmember out and doing somehting differant there? I would like to take that back crossmember out and create a little more space but I fear if i dont do it properly i will lose my strenght. Any suggestions?

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

I have two more questions, any suggestion as to stripping the paint? I'm using aircraft paint remover as well as sanding but like everyone i'm hoping to find an easier way to avoid all the sanding. My chief also doesn't have the front rail, I don't know as to where I can find or have that made and if I have it made i'd like to get it close to the origanal as possible so if there is any help there that would be great.

Gibbles

Commander

For paint, after going through lots of paint stipper I broke down and bought a soda blaster ;)

for the front rail, lots of places including Iboats sell the rail bases, for the tube... noidea, I have not gotten that far yet.
I have a few rails I need to replace, the front bow rail needs to be corrected, it looks like someone put to much weight on it, and one of the side rails has a nasty crack and it's nearly broken clean through.

For the splashwell (I assume that's what your talking about), I thought about trying to make it a bit smaller, but decided it was to much work.
Many around have cut it down a bit, but I don't know much details about that.
For me the splashwell is a safety device to keep water from splashing in from the back (lakes around here can get a little wild), and it also serves to keep engine crud from draining onto the floors.

ETA: Check out the starcraft parts thread, I think MichaelP has been reproducing the transom caps

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't figured out how to get pictures yet. I started another forum as a suggestion from other members with my own stuff. I am going on photobucket after this to see about getting pictures yet. Also I have started with the aircraft stripper which I have used but its about three coats and hand sanding before all the paint is off. We sand blasted the interier. Previous owner carpeted everything with about 10 gallons of glue so we have gone through 4 bags just getting all of that off. As for the splashwell i was either thinking keeping the hight but setting it back a foot with a fold down section for the engine or making two cutouts to set seats in similar to that of an inboard but keep the backs of the seats high still. I don't know if I will but it would be nice to get a little more space. Also I am on lake erie so I know how it can get ruff. Thanks for your response. I will see if I can get some pic up in my forum.