18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Hardest part about these oldies are all the curves, I decided I wanted 3/4in mostly due to the seat style I wanted (no flex) and the simple fact that the scrap 3/4in is more useful.

The left overs from the main deck made the cabin wall/bulkhead ;)
It was just right, and 3/4 in was needed since the bulkhead is the support for the roof, it had tons of flex with out something there.

And I'm in full kitchen mode now, but I covered the side pannels with vinyl and installed!

I also bought a HF high speed polisher and some foam pads, gave them a shot last weekend with good results so far, pictures pending...

And I also picked up an older big john downrigger off of ebay, paid $100 shipped.

I think the mast is something like 3.5/4ft, and I have a swivel base on order for it.

It needs a new clutch, but I hear big john has excellent customer service.
If all else fails the spool lock works great. :)

also it has about 50ft of stainless cable, but I plan on replacing that with braid.

I have never fished with a downrigger before, so I figured I better start cheap, and the big john units match the boat perfectly! :cool:

Gibbles

Commander

I have been sneaking off every now and then to get a little done on the boat while working on the kitchen, no pictures tho...

I have the gauges and light switches installed and hooked up!

Going through my boat part bin I found 2 matching pull switchches, one is 2 pos and the other has a single.
So I ran the single for the gunwale lights and the 2 pos will be for the nav and anchor lights.

I also figured out how to pull the speedometer, tach, ect apart for cleaning.

The clock gauge glass got cracked, but I had 2 speedometers... so I took the worst looking one apart and found the glass was a perfect fit!

While wiring the boat up I pretty much just used speaker wire since I have a ton of it... so all of the wire = the same color... :facepalm: I know I will regret that later on :laugh:

I crimped and shrinkwrapped all of the connections, and of my soldering iron did not need a new tip I would of hit each connection with that too.

64osby

Admiral

While wiring the boat up I pretty much just used speaker wire since I have a ton of it... so all of the wire = the same color... :facepalm: I know I will regret that later on :laugh:

Zip ties and a fine tip sharpee.

Gibbles

Commander

good idea!

and I took my ign to the locksmith today, the old man was not in.. I should of waited :(

I let the kid take a crack at it... so the ign switch cracked so it's toast, and now it's new switch time!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

And I also picked up an older big john downrigger off of ebay, paid $100 shipped.

I think the mast is something like 3.5/4ft, and I have a swivel base on order for it.

It needs a new clutch, but I hear big john has excellent customer service.
If all else fails the spool lock works great. :)

also it has about 50ft of stainless cable, but I plan on replacing that with braid.
'
I have never fished with a downrigger before, so I figured I better start cheap, and the big john units match the boat perfectly! :cool:

You should be satisfied with the Big Jon. I run 4 of the 4' Big Jon riggers on my boat and have no problem with them at all. I have tried several different brands over the years but kept going back to the Big Jons. And yes they have great customer service! Personally I wouldn't run braid line on the rigger, over here in the Great Lakes we sometimes have a problem with sea fleas and they are a PIA to get off braid. So I stick with the stainless wire, besides, the hum of the wire lets you know by sound the speed you are trolling.

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah after looking at the big johns, everything else looks so cheap IMO, but I'm still a bottom feeder. :)

and it looks like it's the SR400

one thing I'm keeping in mind, I understand that there can be some current built by the boat/cable, and this boat had 2 downriggers and where the metal bases were mounted had some pretty bad pitting, so my thory was the current going from or to the hull through the downriggers may of caused it.

So I'm thinking with this metal downrigger + base It will contine... however the prev owner ran a steel base, and I'll have an aluminum one so it may not matter.
otherwise I'll insulate the base from the boat with wood or rubber...

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would say the corrosion you got was from the steel bases for the riggers and not from the "electrical current" from the rigger cables. As you will note on the Big Jon the spool and the pulleys are all a plastic and therefore do not pass any type of current to or from the boat as it insulates the wire from the rigger itself. I believe you may be referring to the Black Box that is supposed to provide positive ion control to the rigger cable. I personally don't feel this is a necessity, have read a lot in different forums and such and also have a buddy that has that unit that came on his Islander... and he doesn't see any difference or improvement whether running it or not. You may want to look into Eagles Feet for mounting you riggers, they are made by T and L Products. They attach to the rub rails on each side of the boat and you mount a board to them on which your riggers are mounted. I used them on and Islander I used to own and loved them and plan on getting a set for the Chief.

Gibbles

Commander

I'm sure your right, it must be from the metal mounts (I have them).

And this big john is an older model with a metal spool.

I read through some threads about the blackbox, to me it sounds like snake oil, but dunno.

I have a lot to lean, but I always see the guys running the downriggers pulling the big fish out and hitting their limit often.

It should be a fun year, bigger boat with a better overall setup :)

Gibbles

Commander

Still in kitchen mode, but I snuck out a few times to do a little work.

First, gauges installed, and I ran the steering cable!
DSCF2423_zpsff3dc155.jpg

I noted that the steering cable was a tad to long when I first took the boat apart, but it's longer than I remember... it looks like I have a good 3ft + extra...

Once the snow melts I'll see if it will work for the nova, if yes I'll buy a new unit for the chief and use this on the nova. If no I'll use it until it needs to be replaced, or find another way to route the cable.

I also bought a new ign switch, everything is perfect except it's missing the ground...

On the factory switch, when the ign is off it will ground the lead coming from the switch box... this one lacks that...

I'm not sure if it's even needed, once the ign-on lead looses power it should straight shut the engine down, but it may be there to protect it... (if anyone knows please chime in! (1974 merc 650))

if all else fail's I'll get the same ign switch I used in the Jet, it has the push to choke instead of a seperate choke button, but I will have to mount it on the console instead of in the control box.

Gibbles

Commander

I also scored some OEM control box bushings, so I bought enough to redo all of the merc control boxes I'm using, I tore into the box that came with this engine, but everything was perfect, and not even discolored!
I replaced anyways and tossed the bushings in the parts bin to be recycled in another control box.

And I think I noted in this thread, but the main details on the engine being uses are in the nova thread.

In short I bought this engine as spare parts for my Jet's 650, found out that this engine had not been run since 1977, and was super clean, it even had the orig install tag from 1974 on the steering tube!
it had been damaged, possibly dropped or backed into, broke some mounts, timing belt got bound and slipped enough to prevent it from running, and needed a new engine cover.
got used mounts and an engine cover off of ebay via junkyards, rebuilt the carbs (I doubt it even needed it), water pump impeller, and flushed out the lower unit, it had been sitting pretty much dry.
And I'm guessing on the 1977 part since the boat I took the engine from was last registered in 1977 and had been sitting in a barn since.

and there is a slight chance I may have a 1974 evenrude v4 80hp to use instead... but I'm not sure yet... (and then this engine would go on the Nova)

64osby

Admiral

Kitchen And Boats. Jammin' on the double duty. Motor(s)? sound great.

dozerII

Admiral

Juggling two rebuilds at one time, trying to keep the Admial happy and still get out on the lake. Keep at it Gib.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's nice waiting for kitchen paint to dry. :rolleyes:

On the I-switch, if you have a magneto it kills the motor by grounding it out. So if I understood right, you might not be able to stop the Merc. I'm using my 500 for my thoughts on the mag, you might have a different set-up.

Keep the juggling act up, you sound like Jason doing the kitchen and Islander at the same time. :joyous:

GA_Boater

Gibs - My manual is up through '71. Do you have a switch box on your 650? Honestly, I start to get confused with the ignition names Merc used. The word Thunderbolt for example. TB is typically a switch box system. But my 500 has TB all over it and uses a magneto. :confused:

The two pins labeled Ignition circuit and Magneto circuit are the two that aren't straight forward. I think the Mag pin is ground when the switch is off and the Ign pin is for the Neutral switch. Some meter work is called for!

Gibb
Just saw your post and just went through most of it. Funny I saw that you hail from Utah. If you look at my post 1964 Starcraft Starchief you will see that I just picked one up one last year in my state of West Virginia and it came from Utah. I will be referencing your post to help me in my restore. Thanks.

Gibbles

Commander

Gibs - My manual is up through '71. Do you have a switch box on your 650? Honestly, I start to get confused with the ignition names Merc used. The word Thunderbolt for example. TB is typically a switch box system. But my 500 has TB all over it and uses a magneto. :confused:

The two pins labeled Ignition circuit and Magneto circuit are the two that aren't straight forward. I think the Mag pin is ground when the switch is off and the Ign pin is for the Neutral switch. Some meter work is called for!

Yeah, this has a switch box.

And reviewing my manual, there is a mercury switch that goes from the switch box power straight to ground when tilted... I think you're spot on about needing that ground when the ign is off.

So today I headed over to marine products (kinda like west marine but with a better selection on some things) and picked up a teleflex key switch... later I'll sit down with the meter and hope it's right... :watermelon:

Gibb
Just saw your post and just went through most of it. Funny I saw that you hail from Utah. If you look at my post 1964 Starcraft Starchief you will see that I just picked one up one last year in my state of West Virginia and it came from Utah. I will be referencing your post to help me in my restore. Thanks.

So that's what happened to all of the starcrafts around here, some fool took them out of the state!

I hope there is something useful from my thread :)

Gibbles

Commander

Also to add; I don't know about the 60's mercs, but on these 3 cyl 650's it has a stator, but it will not run the engine, it just charges the battery.
So if I disconnect the battery while running, it will die (and also fry the rectifier lol).

I have the wiring diagram in a pdf file if anyone want's to review (PM me your email).

GA_Boater

So if I disconnect the battery while running, it will die (and also fry the rectifier lol).

I have the wiring diagram in a pdf file if anyone want's to review (PM me your email).

Since I'm a nice guy, I won't ask how you know the rectifier fries if you disconnect the battery. :embarassed::eek:

Two things - Do you have a link to the switch? And a PM coming your way. I made my living as a sparky and with the diagram and some switch info I can figure out the wiring needs. Probably straight forward but a second opinion helps some times.