18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

I'll be honest Gib, those black consoles are kinda burnin my face buddy:mad2:

You spose they'll be hot in that thin atmosphere up in Utahland?

Anyhow, I think that storm gray is kinda nice, eh:joyous:

Gibbles

Commander

I'll be honest Gib, those black consoles are kinda burnin my face buddy:mad2:

You spose they'll be hot in that thin atmosphere up in Utahland?

Anyhow, I think that storm gray is kinda nice, eh:joyous:

Yeah.... they will get hot, very hot!

One nice thing about black is it's not very reflective, and as long as you don't touch it everything is just fine :watermelon:

Honestly it comes down to the Marine vinyl choices, and my lack of color matching skillz.

I had choices of black, light grey, white, tan, orange, dark blue, bright yellow, and pink.

After looking at the yellow, pink, and orange, I decided since they did not have color tv back in 63 it's best to stay with the colors of the age, black, white, and grey... :)

And the top side of the boat will be white, but I may make windshield area/dash space black for the sake of lower reflection on the glass.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

as long as you don't touch it everything is just fine :watermelon:

I hate it when my hand get burned right off my body when I touch my console:target:

So hard to pick my nose after something like that happens:rolleyes:

Gibbles

Commander

lol

and yeah... my Jet has a dark green almost black topside, it does get hot, but not all that bad...
once I dumped hot coffee all over my self, that hurt way more! (ok maybe slightly more)

and looking at that shark next to the boat picture... is it just me or does it almost clash against the carpet?

@ $100 I want to do it right ;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

is it just me or does it almost clash against the carpet?

@ $100 I want to do it right ;)

Idunno, that "shark" kinda hurts my eyes looking at it there. I think it may clash with all sorts of stuff!

dozerII

Admiral

I second the Storm Grey, a little lighter not so hot on tender tootsies.

Gibbles

Commander

Hey cool thing about that shark pattern!

If you start to sorta look past/through the picture I see a unicorn riding a whale, that's riding a tanker, that's floating on a little dinghy!

Sharknautolex_zpsb5b034ef.jpg

I feel ill all of the sudden...

I'm going with storm grey.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, staring at "shark" Nautelex has that kinda effect. Smoking low grade peyote does as well.:llama:

Storm grey, good choice!:joyous:

dozerII

Admiral

Hey cool thing about that shark pattern!

If you start to sorta look past/through the picture I see a unicorn riding a whale, that's riding a tanker, that's floating on a little dinghy!

Sharknautolex_zpsb5b034ef.jpg

I'm going with storm grey.

I second that, got a little dizzy :puke:

Gibbles

Commander

lol

well I made the order, and I was wrong about the width, it's 6ft wide... so I ordered 10ft

If I could get an 8ft wide section I would have less wasted, but oh well! :)

Also looking at glue... the manf recommended is a bit pricy, but I have tons of carpet glue... anyone have any experience?

else; I'll go ahead and order the correct stuff... :behindsofa:

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through replacing my front deck and adding new nautolex vinyl. USE THE CORRECT ADHESIVE! Mine took 4 days to fully cure after clamoing it all up but it isn't coming off. Ever. Also make sure you use a roller to stick that vinyl down real good. JignGrub did a great job on his and he gave me some great advice.

InMotion

Commander

I agree with snowman... think of it this way... if you are hanging 400 feet up on the outside of a building using suction cups on your hands and feet... do you want them made by the lowest bidder?... or would you care that you spent an extra few bucks?

Thats what I thought too!:clap2:

Besides... your wife will think the boat is uber plush on her toezzeez when the floor is stuck right!

Good progress man!

J.

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks for the input!

and yeah... just another $40 I gotta spend lol

and it looks like it's a 2 week+ wait to get the glue since nobody apparently stocks it

Gibbles

Commander

Well my nautolex came yesterday in a big ol 6ft tube :watermelon:

I also bought a new seat mount off of the scratch and dent site that has a built in seat slider!

Plan: passenger gets standard seat mount, driver gets fancy slider!

I also found out I installed the floor sockets in the wrong direction, the key needs to face forward per this new slider, and that will sit the controlls under the front of the seat, right now I have them pointing to the center of the boat :eek:hwell:

but this weekend it looks like I'm doing some long over due work on the kitchen, and planning on doing some flooring upgrades to the house; per the admiral :faint2:

Also the admiral's car decided the waterpump needed to go out on the coldest week of the year...

That would be no problem except I have a large boat hanging from the garage ceiling...

Meh, such is life or something. :)

InMotion

Commander

The Admiral's projects ALWAYS take priority...:ban: Such is life... but the good news is that you are getting a little closer to splash day! Too bad about the floor sockets... but it shouldn't be too difficult to face them the right way??? Right?

Bundle up this weekend... or perhaps, you may have a valid reason to visit your local garage and enjoy a nice warm coffee while your water pump is replaced! :cheerful:

Keep the wheel's turning!!!

Jim

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Meh, that's not how things go down at my place. I set the agenda, I say what happens, I say when it happens, I lay the law, I am the man!:encouragement:

(Well till Mrs. Outside wakes up for the day and tells me what to do:fear::dizzy:)

Gibbles

Commander

The Admiral's projects ALWAYS take priority...:ban: Such is life... but the good news is that you are getting a little closer to splash day! Too bad about the floor sockets... but it shouldn't be too difficult to face them the right way??? Right?

Bundle up this weekend... or perhaps, you may have a valid reason to visit your local garage and enjoy a nice warm coffee while your water pump is replaced! :cheerful:

Keep the wheel's turning!!!

Jim

Yeah I thought about having someone else do it, but man they charge alot for some simple labor!!

That's money that could be used for better seats or something! :faint2:

Good news; I checked my handy ebay GM manual (best $5 ever spent), there were 3 engines for her car, some 4cyl, 3.5l v6, and a 3.6l v6 with dual overhead cams.
The 3.6, and the 4 cyl look like a pain in the butt and require a special tool to remove the pully, but the 3.5 looks very easy, and I should have no issues via airtools.

Luckly we have the 3.5 :D

for the floor sockets; I'm hoping I can reuse the current screw holes.
If not, no biggy, I'll fill them in with epoxy and re drill after I get the nautolex installed
honestly I might be looking at that anyways since I suspect I'll have a hard time finding the screw holes through the nautolex.

Meh, that's not how things go down at my place. I set the agenda, I say what happens, I say when it happens, I lay the law, I am the man!:encouragement:

(Well till Mrs. Outside wakes up for the day and tells me what to do

yeah, sounds like my life. :lol:

Parley1a

Cadet

I agree - you have the 63. I have the deep hull 64 Cheiftain - blue/white. Make sure you water test those rivets even after the Gluvit...

Gibbles

Commander

Yeah.. I did some water testing while on the trailer, but the bunks blocked a lot.

Part of why I want to paint the bottom is it will get me a chance to do a bit more sealing. But at this point beyond that, I won't worry about any small leaks. :)

Also last night after changing the Admiral's waterpump, I did a little bit more work on the boat.

I removed those side pannel mountings preparing for the Nautelex I had to drill out the rivets, but this will also allow me to make some small changes.

I filled the screw holes with epoxy, since I will need to use different screw holes for the seat sockets, and from there did a general final sealing of the floor.

Next step; Nautelex install!

Also I plan on using dab of 5200 where ever metal meets metal, hoping to prevent any tinny rattles as things go back together.