18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

While thinking of the subject of foam...

I did not get pictures of the install, but since I was planning on removing some of the foam from the front of the boat and the weld job on the bottom of the boat, I used some 1in thick foam sheets like I used in the floor of the Jet, and installed between the ribs of the floor of the entire boat leaving a small water way on the sides of the foam, and down the center of the boat.

And then installed the thicker foam over the top.

In the weld plate area/s I riveted some aluminum to press on the 1in foam mostly to prevent vibrations, and any flex in that area.

Under the side pannels, more foam!
and in the cabin area, i'm planning on trimming the archway with wood so it does not looks like something is missing, and filling the void with foam.

and if I can fit it in there, more foam under the roof panel!! :watermelon:

And I am removing foam from the cabin area from the side boxes for more storage space, but there will be the 1in foam between the ribs (you can kinda see it in the above picture).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have the foam covered, Gib. Don't forget that beer foam also adds flotation. :lol:

If you get a chance, snap a pic of the transducer mount and transom area. There might be a way without drilling new holes, at least drilling the fewest number of new ones to secure the cable.

Gibbles

Commander

Sounds like you have the foam covered, Gib. Don't forget that beer foam also adds flotation. :lol:

If you get a chance, snap a pic of the transducer mount and transom area. There might be a way without drilling new holes, at least drilling the fewest number of new ones to secure the cable.

Beer is one of my favorite things about boating! :D

yeah I'll get some pictures, the best place to route the cable up the transom would be around the transom plate edge, and I could insert something under the plate to hold the cables in place...

And I also got that stern light removed, I finally had to use some vice grips on the backside and drilled out the bolts.

Once removed I found out why I could not get them removed, the nuts were some funny round rivet looking thing...

For new mounting I took some scrap 3/4in shaped to fit, and drilled a hole for the light post, coated with epoxy and riveted to hold in place, and the rivets should be hidden when everything is installed.

It will also hold the rear cleats in place as I did it to both sides :cool:

And the light post should be good enough to reuse, as long as I use a larger headed screw. :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I forgot you were having trouble getting the anchor light off. Perseverance pays off along with a BFH. ;)

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking great Gib! It's been a while since I've been on here, I have lots of catching up to do!

Gibbles

Commander

I forgot you were having trouble getting the anchor light off. Perseverance pays off along with a BFH. ;)

Yeah... and I'm still wondering what they were thinking when they mounted it like that.

Looking great Gib! It's been a while since I've been on here, I have lots of catching up to do!

Thanks!

It's slowly coming along :)

Gibbles

Commander

I took a page from the book of Jasoutside and ordered two more 5m LED strip lights.

I had bought a single 5m run, but decided I wanted to go nuts with it

it should make it a bit eaiser as each 5m run = about 16feet

I plan on running one on each side under the gunwales, and a bit under the splashwell

I also decided to run the transducer line in low after doing a bit more reading.
I drilled a hole just under the bottom of the transom plate, and pitched it up at an angle to allow for better injection of the 5200.
I put a healthy coat of epoxy in the hole and taped it off to prevent running out.

If I get a chance today I'll clean it up and run the wire through, next I need to pick up a spedo tube and I'll get it sealed up.

I also might get away with straight filling the hole with wire and hose in place using epoxy, and then back the plate with 5200 to finish off.

But it would be harder to change out the transducer later on when I upgrade to something better...

InMotion

Commander

I took a page from the book of Jasoutside and ordered two more 5m LED strip lights.

I had bought a single 5m run, but decided I wanted to go nuts with it

it should make it a bit eaiser as each 5m run = about 16feet

I plan on running one on each side under the gunwales, and a bit under the splashwell

I also decided to run the transducer line in low after doing a bit more reading.
I drilled a hole just under the bottom of the transom plate, and pitched it up at an angle to allow for better injection of the 5200.
I put a healthy coat of epoxy in the hole and taped it off to prevent running out.

If I get a chance today I'll clean it up and run the wire through, next I need to pick up a spedo tube and I'll get it sealed up.

I also might get away with straight filling the hole with wire and hose in place using epoxy, and then back the plate with 5200 to finish off.

But it would be harder to change out the transducer later on when I upgrade to something better...

Goin' all Jas and that.... man next it will be 5200 on everything ----- oh! Wait your there already!!! :D. Well... there's always Jas therapy
!!

But seriously... sounds like some good process and you'll be glowing in the night when you're all done!

J.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I love 5200, squeezed a big glob into my coffee this morning to start the day:rockon:

InMotion

Commander

I love 5200, squeezed a big glob into my coffee this morning to start the day:rockon:

Nice!!! You may have issues...

I no longer use mayo... just 5200 now... :)

I also brush my teeth with 5200... really pulls the grit out... :yuck:

I may have issues as welll...:topsy_turvy:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice!!! You may have issues...

I no longer use mayo... just 5200 now... :)

I also brush my teeth with 5200... really pulls the grit out... :yuck:

I may have issues as welll...:topsy_turvy:

My Admiral read this post after I chuckled, and is fairly sure we all have issues, various, asundry and complex.......

Then she :boink: and mumbled something about it looks like I'm not the only lucky one in the bunch.....

InMotion

Commander

My Admiral read this post after I chuckled, and is fairly sure we all have issues, various, asundry and complex.......

Then she :boink: and mumbled something about it looks like I'm not the only lucky one in the bunch.....

LOL! Ya... there really should be a "Therapy" section.... oh wait! Iboats is therapy! :) My Admiral knows I lost my marbles years ago... it's just confirmed in writing now! :lalala:

Gibbles

Commander

Jas's picture all glowy n stuff really got me thinking; LED's are the way to go... lots of LED's!!

+ when people see my boat and start thinking... hrm funny old boat, then they can see inside and say "ooooo ahhhhh ohhh". :cool:

And nothing is worse than launching before dawn, and trying to find that silly plug (worse when you forget it and you're really in a hurry to find it!), or trying to locate stuff in the mess of crap I keep on the boat (I know me lol).

And 5200; ever since home depot started stocking it at $10 a tube, I see no reason to go lightly with it. :watermelon:
I have not even begun to seal!!

I have been sporting it as nail polish lately, and it's funny the places I find the stuff, it's very sneaky... :facepalm:

Also yesterday I tried to run the wire through the transom, and the plug end... did not fit :rolleyes:

so I ran the dril bit through the hole again (used the size mentioned in the manual) still would not fit... so I had to slowly widen the hole and lightly sanded the plug end until it fit through, and then coated the inside with epoxy with the wire in place.

Today if I remember, I'll head over to west marine or marine products and pick up a spedo tube on my way home.

I'm also thinking about the wonderfull world of underwater LED's, this would be a good time to run another wire... :lol:

Gibbles

Commander

Also having one dilemma, nautolex vinyl will be about $120 to install (I need to get an official measurement still).

Carpet would run me about $40...

I have been searching for anything that might be cheaper, but I really like the idea of vinyl, and the ability to just hose it off...

I'm also thinking about just painting the floor... but a covering would be better, as I would need to add grit to the floor since I have a perfect slick finish on there.... :facepalm:

Next issue: when I made the roof pannel I tried to copy the remains of what I had left over, so I made a single piece and stuck it together.

Looking at it now I really wish I had made it two piece, it would be easier to cover in vinyl, and easier to install with the console walls in place, as of right now I cannot fit it unless I have both consoles out of the boat.

And that also means I have to finish the roof and windshield install before I can go there...

Gibbles

Commander

Measurement taken for the floor covering, and it looks like an 8x8 sheet will be enough to cover the entire floor and the front section.

I'll try and get that ordered soon...

And I also got the speedometer tube ran through the transom, and the garmin hole cover was perfect to hold both of them with a slight modification.

I had to use flash so everything has a funny glare to it :p

DSCF2405_zps6c5d4809.jpg

DSCF2404_zpsb1d3d1ea.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Also I got some more vinyl work done!

DSCF2403_zpsc68ebae9.jpg

Trimmed with some channel aluminum, once I get the gauges figured out I'll finish up the driver side.

DSCF2402_zpsb480d1aa.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Looking good Gib, progress is a good thing.

Gibbles

Commander

Biggest issue I'm running into is the cold; we have been constantly holding a high of about 17f.
That makes it hard to heat the garage, and to get things to cure/dry.

And I also got wire runs going to the front bow light, and the rear transom light.

I'll take apart the rear light here soon and decide if I need to replace all of the wire before I commit.

I picked up an 8in grinder from HF the other day, and installed a buffing wheel on one side.
I'll use that to clean up the lights and cleats here soon.

anything that's to pitted I will most likely blast with glass beads and paint (probably black).

From there I'm waiting on installing the floor covering before I reinstall the splashwell.

I have some aluminum angle cut to trim up the under the splashwell, I figure that will prevent garbage and crap from getting lost under the floor.

I found a seller on ebay that appears to have the best price + shipping for the nautolex.

I'm looking at about $96 shipped for an 8x8 sheet.

And it's about 5.5ft x 8ft for the main deck, and 2ft x 5ft for the front.

I'm going with the Shark pattern, as I think it will go best with everything.

I also see that nautolex offers a one part glue for applying, but I have a huge tub left of the outdoor/marine carpet glue, anyone know if there is a difference or another suggestion? :)

And yesterday my LED light strips came :cool:

I just need to figure out where to stick them in the gunwales.

And I'm thinking also installing a strip under the splashwell, and a strip in each front compartment. :)

and for the passenger side, I'm planning on installing an Osh** handle there, I think it needs it. ;)

Gibbles

Commander

I'm about to make the order... need a second set of eyes.

Look good with the black consoles and the side pannels will also be the same black?

this is the flooring I'm looking at (shark pattern)

Sharknautolex_zpsb5b034ef.jpg

Boat picture
DSCF2403_zpsc68ebae9.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

Other options...

It's hard finding a zoomed out picture... :)

nautolex_zpsd4374b69.jpg

I'm starting to lean more towards storm grey...