18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Thanks guys!

It's to the point where I'm no longer hiding it! :cool:

with out the top windshield and steering wheel it just looks funny, and most people think it's driven from the front... :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks!

Had an interesting thanks giving, my family always gets into blackfriday... and they started dragging my wife into it also.

So I figured I had a nice quiet day to work on the boat while my wife and family waited in line all day to get some goodies.

I was wrong. :(

I get the call that my sister left my wife waiting in the cold, so I got suckered into going down there to suffer.

Good news is everyone got everything on their list, and I got a nasy cold. :facepalm:

But I did get a little further on the boat from then to now.

My I moved the seat mounting over a few inches and patched up the old hole using a cut out, epoxy, flower, and some tin tape to seal up the bottom

Results:
DSCF2329.jpg

Gibbles

Commander

And while going through memory cards I found this great before shot, I thought I forgot to take one of these.
The old consoles
DSCF04211.jpg

And I wrapped my new console in vinyl today, this stuff was pretty nice to work with.

DSCF2332.jpg

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice ride, keep up the good work!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Console looks good, the original wheel layout looks awkward to use, much better now!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Gib, The after pic looks at least 1000% better than the the first. The almost horizontal wheel is a Greyhound bus pic isn't it? :lol:

Consoles look real nice now/

Gibbles

Commander

Thanks!

And yeah, the old console was just weird, but the steering was replaced what looks like a year or three before I got my hands on this boat.

Originally it had a cable pulley system, I keep wondering if the steering wheel was setup different and it was changed due to the limits of the Teleflex kit they bought.

I'll have to get some better pictures of my wrap job, I decided to use some of that outdoor/deck carpet glue I used on the Jet to glue carpet to the sides (I bought a big ol tub!).
My idea is that I'm going to need to do a little more drilling in the console as I get the gauges and switches figured out, and I'm hoping that having it glued solid will prevent tearing... :)

And for the console wall, I'm thinking about using a grey vinyl, but my idea was to use black vinyl on the side pannels...

so if i did that, it might look better if I used grey on the side pannels also, and then black vinyl on the top (gunwale)...
so it would be grey lower, and black on the top.

but I'm not good at figuring this stuff out. :der:

InMotion

Commander

And while going through memory cards I found this great before shot, I thought I forgot to take one of these.
The old consoles
DSCF04211.jpg

And I wrapped my new console in vinyl today, this stuff was pretty nice to work with.

DSCF2332.jpg

Gibb's --- that looks a whole lot nice man! Nice work!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I missed it before, but you moved the console back some. The extra room in the cuddy will be nice, and not much space lost in the stern.

GA_Boater

Where are you hanging the control box Gib?

Gibbles

Commander

Gibb's --- that looks a whole lot nice man! Nice work!
Thanks man!

I missed it before, but you moved the console back some. The extra room in the cuddy will be nice, and not much space lost in the stern.

Yeah I think I'll be able to lay down and be comfortable (I hope) :sleeping:

Where are you hanging the control box Gib?

Right hand side just back from the console, the handle will go slightly under the console when fully open

next issue is my config requires a second control box for the kicker, in my Jet I have it sitting directly under my main box...

good thing is the kicker controls don't need to be perfect :watermelon:

Gibbles

Commander

It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I did get a little more done....

First I decided to go with a black console/cabin wall, and trimmed the sides (doorway) with aluminum.

I'll get pictures once I get a chance to test fit in the boat.

and the side panels, I had planned on redoing them but I decided I was to lazy and cheap + I like the original top trim piece to much.

I managed to find just enough scrap 1/4in plywood to make a trim piece for the gunnels since they are pretty messed up and they need something... :joyous:

I have holes drilled every 1ft for the top and bottom, it's setup so I should be able to trim it up with channel aluminum and cover the rivets if I wish.
My plan is to cover in black vinyl, but I have one issue I thought about maybe a little to late... I think the staples I have been using to hold the vinyl tight on the boards will stick through just a little in the 1/4in, so I'll go careful when putting together.

I also mounted the transducer on the back, but ran into an issue when working to run the cable...
the super wide transom plate is in the way and I hate to drill through that + the transom above the water line, so I'm toying with the idea of running a hole below the water line...

Thinking I could get away with it if I drill at a slight upwards angle, 3 coats of epoxy, run the line + spedo tube, tape off the outside, fill with 5200, then install hole cover with even more 5200...

Thoughts?

Gibbles

Commander

And I also managed to cover the sides in carpet :D

downsize_zps9416ef50.jpg

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The boats look'n great. Keep up the good work. Those are really cool boats. I'm enjoying watching your boat come together.

GA_Boater

Gib - Can you run the Xducer cable through a splashwell drain? Then no extra holes needed. That's what I did.

Gibbles

Commander

The boats look'n great. Keep up the good work. Those are really cool boats. I'm enjoying watching your boat come together.

Thanks!
I can't wait till spring, infact I had a dream last night it was spring... then I woke up to 2ft of snow 20f, and ice covered roads. :grumpy:

Oh well, the more snow we get, the more water we will have come spring :D

Well, above vs. below waterline is always better but 5200 is awesome stuff and certainly keep ya from sinking eh;)

Not to worried about sinking.. I put in tons of foam :watermelon:

I am worried about a short transom life though... ;)

And the prev owner had the spedo tube run below the water line, in fact I'm looking at using the same hole in the transom skin...

Gibbles

Commander

Gib - Can you run the Xducer cable through a splashwell drain? Then no extra holes needed. That's what I did.

That's what I was planning, but then I realized I should of mounted directly under the drain...

Right now it's right on the starboard transom brace, I used one of the pre existing holes... :)

another issue is the cable holders also require a hole to be drilled, just not all the way through....

so right now if I decide to go that route I need to route the cable around the heavy duty transom brace/plate and that would require a few more wire/cable holders to be installed...