12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Here's a video of the family enjoying a boat ride from earlier this week, kinda cold...but fun:D My 4-year-old son had a cast on for a few weeks(very minor fracture) so he had to wait until it got removed to get out on the water to check out the new outboard(Mom's rules;)).

Rickairmedic

Commander

Mike looks like you and the crew were having a good time even with the cold LOL. By the way you have to logg into Live messenger to get in on the chats at night :D. There was a good portion of the Starcraft club chatting last night :D. We even managed to get North Beach into it :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Rick I actually went out to the bar last night for one of the first times since having children;)...I'll be monitoring the messenger:D

This has been taking some of my time from the boat project as well. My other sweet birthday gift...from the father-in-law:cool:

It's a Charles Daly semi-auto .20 gauge with a 5 shell magazine(already took the plug out that limits you to 2;)) and one in the chamber. I've been to the range twice now getting the sights perfected in time for Nov 15 opening day for whitetail.
DSCF4780-1.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

My 43 acre fishing hole looks bigger than it is...some fall colors starting to show and it's in the 30s with a frost here now:eek:

I will fire up the spaceheater and plan on painting the boat blue and grey soon. Also will be doing some more work on the trailer. I want to lower the trailer frame, add side bunks/guides, finish the lighting and put new rollers on it.

My rate of progress will be increasing since it is almost too cold to go fishing:D
DSCF4774.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well it's 46 degrees outside right now with a 9mph wind...time for some cold weather boating:D I'm going to run the rest of the gas out of the can to get the remaining seafoam burned thru the carb and clean it up a bit before winterizing(bringing it in the basement).

I'm curious how the speed and handling will be with absolutely NO extra weight in the rig. No battery, no decking, no cooler full of beer, no tackle...just me, the 5.5hp, gas can and a paddle. This includes passengers since all my friends are a bunch of lightweights that can't handle the cold LOL;)

(actually my friends are in Detroit tonight...my friend's band is the opening act for a Gwar concert:D)

I will post some video for your viewing pleasure:)

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AHHHHH GWAR! I saw those dawgs in concert many moons ago ('94 I think). Absolutly shredded the venue.:D What band is yer buddy in?

Huron Angler

Admiral

AHHHHH GWAR! I saw those dawgs in concert many moons ago ('94 I think). Absolutly shredded the venue.:D What band is yer buddy in?

LOL funny you ask FP...they debated their name for many moons...Fawn Mower was thrown out there(among hundreds of suggestions) but they settled on a different name. I'm not even sure what they finally decided on since this is their first real concert:D

They played many shows at my buddy's farm without a name:D:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some video of a little fall cruise with my favorite first mate:D

As you can see he likes it when the boat bounces over our wake and has learned how to rock the boat too...ok...I admit...I was rocking the boat too:D

It was around 45 degrees when we launched...dropped into the 30s when the sun started to set so I couldn't even burn the rest of the tank of gas...he got a bit cold with the windchill factor:eek:;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Mike looks like you and the First Mate were having a good time out there on the almost frozen lake :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Mike looks like you and the First Mate were having a good time out there on the almost frozen lake :D.

Rick

Rick, it was a nice night for a boat ride and my little guy had fun until it did get too cold for him with the wind and all.

I ended up having quite a bit of weight in the boat after all since my son of course wanted to go along too:D...I wanted to bring the deep cycle and Minn Kota in case I did manage to run the tank dry LOL:D

So the speed and handling was about the same as when fully loaded. I did throw a healthy dose of seafoam and finally got her to smoke a bit. Should help with any varnish buildup in the works.

That old johnnyrude fires right up even when she's cold...gotta love that:)

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

That water looks cold.......seems like the little guy is enjoying the new motor! Sounds like you are going to be done with the AeroCraft shortly. It is coming right along and will be a great rig to have around while working on your Starcraft. That way you can fish and not have to remount everything when you have the urge to wet a line.

Cheers,
Kyle

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Mike
ya know, I dont think Im suscribed to this post so Ill have to add another susbscription to my list (this would be #31) lol

hey check out this CraigsList search engine, it looks at all the CL in your state / area
Jaxed.com
Wow there are a boatload of starcrafts in MICH!!! preloaded it for a search for mich

BRRR getting a chill just looking at all them trees with no leaves and you 2 in jackets BBBRRRRR BBBBaRRR BRRR:cool:

Poor little guy, yeah it kills the fun when you know your kid is frozen...not fun! cute little one!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Vegas we had him pretty bundled up for the excursion but little people do cool down pretty quickly. It was only in the 40s vegas...you lived in MI, that's not even cold! LOL:D

Wait until I post some pics of icefishing north of Alpena in January if you want to see some cold. We'll be revving up the quads and driving 50mph across frozen lakes trying to find the walleye spots;)

Now that's cold:D

Since I wasn't even able to get all the gas burned I may have to do some river running after snow is on the ground to really show the sunbelt folks what we're up against:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well...I've been out fishing and cruising around getting some seaofam burned thru the motor to clean her out...and not much work has been done on the old AeroCraft.

I've also been taking a good look at this 1979 Starcraft SS w/ 80hp Merc. I will be looking a the rig tomorrow and right now I'm worried that someone has already bought it. If it is still available I will be leaving some cash as a deposit. EDIT the guy just called me back and it IS available:D:D

1979 Starcraft 16' Aluminum Boat: Easily worth $1500, and am willing to let it go for $1,100 for a great off-season buy!
The boat is in very good condition, and the pictures are from this summer.
Two Seats are in very good condition
Flooring is in good condition
Open hull in front allows for an additional seat (fishing)
Registration sticker good through 2012

Trailer:
E-Z Loader trailer
Lights work
Tires in good condition
Entire length when on trailer 21-22" depending on how you angle the motor.

Outboard Engine:
1970 - 80 H.P. Mercury
Direct 4 Thunderbolt Ignition
Just had carb's cleaned and floats adjusted, but is idling down under a load in the water. The motor does start and run.
I'm not a mechanic and don't have the time to figure it out, but maybe you do. The engine does start and run.
CMC Power Tilt & Trim works great ($500 dollar value alone)

Attachments

• SS1.jpg
    SS1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SS3.jpg
    SS3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SS4.jpg
    SS4.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

HA...Welcome to the club OFFICIALLY

That SS is yours and your picking a winner to join with!!!

jcsercsa

Captain

Well...I've been out fishing and cruising around getting some seaofam burned thru the motor to clean her out...and not much work has been done on the old AeroCraft.

I've also been taking a good look at this 1979 Starcraft SS w/ 80hp Merc. I will be looking a the rig tomorrow and right now I'm worried that someone has already bought it. If it is still available I will be leaving some cash as a deposit. EDIT the guy just called me back and it IS available:D:D

1979 Starcraft 16' Aluminum Boat: Easily worth $1500, and am willing to let it go for $1,100 for a great off-season buy!
The boat is in very good condition, and the pictures are from this summer.
Two Seats are in very good condition
Flooring is in good condition
Open hull in front allows for an additional seat (fishing)
Registration sticker good through 2012

Trailer:
E-Z Loader trailer
Lights work
Tires in good condition
Entire length when on trailer 21-22" depending on how you angle the motor.

Outboard Engine:
1970 - 80 H.P. Mercury
Direct 4 Thunderbolt Ignition
Just had carb's cleaned and floats adjusted, but is idling down under a load in the water. The motor does start and run.
I'm not a mechanic and don't have the time to figure it out, but maybe you do. The engine does start and run.
CMC Power Tilt & Trim works great ($500 dollar value alone)

HAHAHA yep you got the bug MBS !! she looks good !! dont like what he says about the motor thoe !! check her out good !! John

Huron Angler

Admiral

I had the little 12' rig out on the river last night and the 5.5hp is running like a dream. She started on the first pull last week on the lake and on the second pull last night:D

I'm still running quite a bit of seafoam thru her and upped the oil to 40:1 when I filled the tank...she liked it and ran smooth.

I need to make sure my old boat isn't getting jealous of my new 16' Starcraft SS so she still gets plenty of attention:D Paint will be done over the winter and the middle hatch still needs some work so she's not done, just being juggled with the new boat a bit.

I will need to keep the little rig for fishing my shallow launch spots so I'm glad to have MBS John:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Just wanted to post this photo of the little tin can floating at the fishing hole.:)

DSCF4822.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

Nice shot there Huron !! I got a a few to post also in my thread!! John

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice shot there Huron !! I got a a few to post also in my thread!! John

Hey thanks John:D Have you put up the glastron for the deep freeze yet?

That photo is from that one day last week we had where it was in the mid-60s with no wind at all...what a day:) I just got some more gas mixed up for the '55 Johnson to sip on so I will be out a few more times before the lakes freeze.

I will make sure to check out your pics too! Michigan is still an attractive state in most places LOL :)