12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Did you go out fishing in your boat or is that your friend's boat? :confused:

It's my boat...I've been using it throughout the restoration project which makes things a bit of a hassle but in the summertime in Michigan you've got to be on the water since it doesn't last long:(

I've been constantly removing everything from the boat so that I can work on it. The next day when I get out of work and need to take the boat out I've got to get all the tools and stuff out of the boat...and the decking, motors, batteries, and gear all back in the boat.:D

It's truly a labor of love.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL yeah if HA would quit goofing around fishing he might finish this one and start on his Starcraft :D:D. Looks like some nice fish HA :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some photos of the 1955 5.5hp Johnson...those are the lean/rich settings that perform the best...she likes running WOT and as rich as possible:D

I'm thinking about new vinyl Seahorse logos and some paint...the two tanks that came with her could use some love too.

DSCF4742.jpg

DSCF4741.jpg

DSCF4740.jpg

DSCF4739.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I went ahead and moved the Minn Kota to the bow where it belongs...I got a tip reading a thread months ago on iboats that explained how easy it is to do a 180 degree flip on the tiller:D

Now my fishing buddies can keep themselves busy in the shallows while I'm casting LOL...seriously I got more time fishing than I am used too and I'm not complaining;)

DSCF4733.jpg

DSCF4732.jpg

DSCF4731.jpg

DSCF4730.jpg

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the trolling motor setup. I posted my resto thread so check it out. I also have a minn kota trolling motor and I may have to "borrow" the trolling motor setup on my own boat...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Me too. Going to look at a small fishing boat with/for my dad tonight. If he buys it, we'll definitely be using that idea.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like the trolling motor setup. I posted my resto thread so check it out. I also have a minn kota trolling motor and I may have to "borrow" the trolling motor setup on my own boat...

Me too. Going to look at a small fishing boat with/for my dad tonight. If he buys it, we'll definitely be using that idea.

Thanks fellas...it works very well this way and will be even more solid after I throughbolt the wood to the gunwales with stainless bolts.

If you are going to flip the tiller it's extremely easy and impossible to screw up(keep in mind that even I did it on the first try and I am severely mechanically disinclined:D).

Tool required for the job: one phillips screwdriver

All you have to do is remove one bolt that fits perpendicular to the shaft right below the tiller handle assembly...spin the handle 180 degrees...and then re-insert the bolt(making sure that the nut is on the side that's counter-sunk hexagonally so as to avoid needing a crescent wrench)

You can shine a flashlight thru to make sure the holes are lined up correctly prior to inserting the bolt.

Zaneroni

Cadet

That is a great looking boat. I like what you have done with the flor. I've been looking for some ideas on how to put in a board floor like yours in my 14ft crestliner, now I'll look no more.
How wide is your boat? did you loose any stability?

Huron Angler

Admiral

That is a great looking boat. I like what you have done with the flor. I've been looking for some ideas on how to put in a board floor like yours in my 14ft crestliner, now I'll look no more.
How wide is your boat? did you loose any stability?

Thanks for the kind words Zaneroni:). The removable decking sections have been working out very well. I still need to build the bow section...been putting that off since it will be more challenging than the two existing pieces.

The boat is more stable with the decking in since my weight when standing pushes straight down on the hull and is distributed evenly rather than down and out towards the sides or wherever my feet happen to be at the time.

The beam is 52" on my Aerocraft at its widest point...44" on the transom.

I made sure to keep the height of the decking as low as possible for stability purposes. I'm basically standing right at the water line when we are geared and fueled up. The sides on my little tin can are pretty low(20") so your Crestliner may not have the same issues if you've got higher sides.

Zaneroni

Cadet

You got me motivated but it turned so darn cold !! I took advantage of 3 days of rain and used the water in he boat to mark my deck line, that is as far as I got. Hunting season starts in November and by the looks of it, I might have to put it off until the spring.
Your Arecraft is the same size as my boat. I'm pretty excited, can't wait!

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

That old motor sounds so so good....much better than my 4 stroke. It has a nice rich sound. You are really pulling in the fish lately....those Pike are crazy looking fish and they mangled that hook:eek:. Keep up the progress on the boat and I look forward to seeing the Starcraft once you get that project going. I will be borrowing that trolling motor idea. The Honda trolls well but could use a slower speed when the wind is on the stern and it would be nice for getting back into the wooded timber for duck hunting.

Cheers,
Kyle

jcsercsa

Captain

Nice pike there Huron !!! what did he do try to wrap you around something to bend that hook ??? John

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

HA,

Nice Northern! They really do feel like you caught a log when they first hit and try going the other direction :eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

HA..

Ya know what I dig about your thread here?
How it's work on the boat..take her out fishing..work on the boat..take her out fishin....

take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin

work on the boat..

take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin

work on the boat..
:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

You got me motivated but it turned so darn cold !! I took advantage of 3 days of rain and used the water in he boat to mark my deck line, that is as far as I got. Hunting season starts in November and by the looks of it, I might have to put it off until the spring.
Your Arecraft is the same size as my boat. I'm pretty excited, can't wait!

Zane I totally agree...I've been wearing layers already and we're in the 40s with rain...soon to be freezing rain:eek:...then snow:).

I actually just borrowed a kerosene space heater from my dad so that I can finish the little tin can and get started on hopefully a larger tin can and work all through our long Michigan winter:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kyle, thanks I have to agree the old '55 fires right up and doesn't hiccup while wide open...just a few burps while accelerating that the seafoam should take care of if I run the motor enough:D

John I'm no Pike expert but it may be my new favorite fish to catch:) I grew up in Petoskey fishing big water for salmon and lake trout exclusively so the inland fish are a learning experience at times. This was actually my first Pike ever if you can believe that?!?

Bret, it felt like a log and I thought my 8lb test(with no steel leader!) was going to snap before I even got a look at it. It calmed right down after threatening to wrap around the Minn Kota lower unit:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

HA..

Ya know what I dig about your thread here?
How it's work on the boat..take her out fishing..work on the boat..take her out fishin....

take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin

work on the boat..

take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin
take her out fishin

work on the boat..
:D

LOL...Kev are you trying to say that I fish too much? Rick already hinted at it earlier and I feel like I might be due for an intervention the way things are going:D

Since we are facing a cold front from now 'till (hopefully) early March I only have one thing to say...

I need to throw some skis under the hull and take "The Loon" fishing on the ice as a portable shanty this winter:D

(she doesn't like being drydocked at all:eek: and would feel much better on the lake even if it's frozen LOL)

I'm thinking...some PVC, tarp, rope, ice auger, and a little portable heater and we're in business:p

Well, Huron Angler is off to start scouting craigs for used downhill skis...I mean...going to finish my resto project;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lash a couple tobagons (sp?) to the Loon and find ya a couple stray wolves to pull her!!!

p.s...

I said what I LIKE about your resto is she aint sitting there during the whole resto!
ya chucklehead..lol:D

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went ahead and moved the Minn Kota to the bow where it belongs...I got a tip reading a thread months ago on iboats that explained how easy it is to do a 180 degree flip on the tiller:D

Now my fishing buddies can keep themselves busy in the shallows while I'm casting LOL...seriously I got more time fishing than I am used too and I'm not complaining;)

DSCF4733.jpg

DSCF4732.jpg

DSCF4731.jpg

DSCF4730.jpg

This is why iboats is so great, all the neat ideas and knowledge that are floating around.

Too bad it's too cold to go out fishing. It was 110 last week over here in my neck of the woods. Thankfully it dropped to 90 this week.

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is why iboats is so great, all the neat ideas and knowledge that are floating around.

Too bad it's too cold to go out fishing. It was 110 last week over here in my neck of the woods. Thankfully it dropped to 90 this week.

I agree...this site is worth its weight in gold:D

Thanks for reminding me that I live in a harsh environment not intended for 365 boating:D;)

Kev...I hear ya:D...I know when I get the SC I will be drydocked for extended periods of time(all winter) so I will join your old club of "waiting to splash starcrafts" (you were the president I believe) and will be taking the little 12' tin can out in the meantime once the ice breaks.

[Kev don't send any black crown vics...I promise I'll get an SC- I just need a little rustoleum and some gluvit to finish the little old tinny first]LOL:D:D