Tallcanadian's 1976 Sunray Refresh.

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Tallcanadian's 1976 Sunray Refresh.

Well, today was nice enough to get the rest of the hardware off. I removed the windshield and CMC power trim unit as well. I can't believe I'm silly enough to do this again..lol.

100_2875.jpg

100_2876.jpg

As noted in a couple pictures above, I have a fair amount of areas where I have what I call spider cracks. What do you fellas usually do for this. A couple places I have addressed these before and they came back. Any thought to this would be appreciated.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

looks like you are moving along! I hope the weather up there cooperates with you. We are 70, sunny, but windy (15 to 30mph...not a big surprise in OK).

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey TC i could use a few parts from your old shifter. Are you looking to get rid of it? If so PM me.

tallcanadian

Captain

looks like you are moving along! I hope the weather up there cooperates with you. We are 70, sunny, but windy (15 to 30mph...not a big surprise in OK).

Weather is in the high 40's but trust me, after the crap we've had for the past 2 weeks, this feels nice. At least it is sunny. I'm sitting on my deck having an adult beverage. lol. But I need 60+ to get at my stripping and fiberglassing.

Friscoboater

Captain

Those spider cracks are a pain. I think on some boats they are doomed to come back due to a weak spot on that area.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

... I can't believe I'm silly enough to do this again..lol. ....

Nothing silly about getting after what you want...shoot, I'm inspired enough by you to get after a new bow before I get too old to 'hunt' anymore ;)

Good progress with that weather!

tallcanadian

Captain

Today, finally, the weather has turned. It was 17C (63F). I bought a quart of Interlux Stripper, hoping to get some paint off the easy way. I followed instructions to the letter but really am not happy with the results. Not sure if it needs to be a tad warmer, although it says 60 - 80 degrees. I tried different times. It says 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on how much paint is on there. But I saw no difference after 2 hours. If this was an experiment, I'd say it was a bust. I will, however, give it one more go the next nice day. I'll try laying on more and go with the maximum time. See what happens. I took some pics.

This was before the stripper went on.
100_2880.jpg

And after, only certain areas seem to work a little.
100_2882.jpg

On a lighter side, I received my new to me prop from ebay. Very happy with it.
100_2890.jpg

And suggestions or concerns about the stripper, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Friscoboater

Captain

It is nice when the weather starts to turn huh? I do not know how you guys do it up there. It has been around 90 all week here and yesterday it only hit about 69 with a north wind and we were back in long pants again. I guess I am ready for the heat.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Not sure about the stripper, but I'm curious to see how it goes.....I'm 200 miles north of Firsco more or less the same with the weather. Hope it co-operates with you up there!

tallcanadian

Captain

It is nice when the weather starts to turn huh? I do not know how you guys do it up there. It has been around 90 all week here and yesterday it only hit about 69 with a north wind and we were back in long pants again. I guess I am ready for the heat.

I know. We've had rain and cold temps, around 30s and 40s for just about 3 weeks. Any nice we've had of course is during the work week. Anything about 50F, I'm happy. But of course I'll take 70s plus. Hopefully now it will stay consistent and get warmer.

tallcanadian

Captain

Not sure about the stripper, but I'm curious to see how it goes.....I'm 200 miles north of Firsco more or less the same with the weather. Hope it co-operates with you up there!

Me too arch. Although it's calling for rain later in the week. I just want the weekends to improve. I'm going to try a heavier layer of stripper next time and let it sit longer. I think the cooler it is out the longer it needs. And, of course, I need to be more patient. I was expecting the paint to peel right off. lol.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

yeah this isn't really a hobby for people that need instant satisfaction! :D

redfury

Commander

Two things.

One, I can't see the boat in your web cam!
Two, I want to know the brand of the paint that is on the boat now..I'm gonna use it! :D

What kind of stripper are you using? Did she come with with her own pole? :p

Seriously though, I used Aircraft stripper on an old trailer and it bubbled up almost instantly ( in the shade ). Volatile stuff...definitely not eco friendly...but it works!

tallcanadian

Captain

Two things.

One, I can't see the boat in your web cam!
Two, I want to know the brand of the paint that is on the boat now..I'm gonna use it! :D

What kind of stripper are you using? Did she come with with her own pole? :p

Seriously though, I used Aircraft stripper on an old trailer and it bubbled up almost instantly ( in the shade ). Volatile stuff...definitely not eco friendly...but it works!

Hey redfury,

One, I only take the cam out when I'm working on the boat and good weather conditions.
Two, I used Interlux Brightsides on my boat. Great paint to work with. I'm using the same this time, just hoping to do a better job on it.

I don't want too volatile of stripper, cause it may eat my boat, never mind the paint.lol. All I'll have left is a trailer and outboard motor.

tallcanadian

Captain

UPDATE:

Still raining. And every now and then a snow flurry. I guess we are making up for the great winter we had. I did however win an inflatable boat at our local boat show this past weekend, valued at 1500 dollars. If it doesn't stop raining I may have to soon use it to get to work. I picked up primer and thinner, brushes and rollers. All I need is to get some nice weather.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

TC, I hope my work is half as good as your work. Love the original restore, and the same with the new wave of work. Good luck!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey TC,
Just found your thread. I'm really interested in the completion of this one considering that it looked good before this rebuild. I can relate to the weather problems too. Not the snow but crappy at any rate.
Bob

Huron Angler

Admiral

I did however win an inflatable boat at our local boat show this past weekend, valued at 1500 dollars.

Nice score, congrats!

Are you gonna throw a few outboards on it like your avatar pic? :D

tallcanadian

Captain

My boat show prize came today. Great little boat.
100_2902.jpg

100_2899.jpg

Also the sun came today and the heat. It's suppose to be nice the rest of the week and weekend so I'm hoping to get at 'it' this weekend.