18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Man....a person could get killed being hit by some of those hail 'boulders'

You and Mike{HA} are going to be the death of me with all these beautiful fishing photo's...Kid definitely looked like he was enjoying that! Sweet!

sprintst

Commander

That baseball sized stuff is crazy...

Andy in NY

Commander

thats insane! we got some the other day, but it was pea sized...

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man....a person could get killed being hit by some of those hail 'boulders'

Just make sure to put a metal bucket on your head and run for cover :) Ding... ding... dong. Can't hear a thing. Worse than driving through a hail storm in an old truck w/o the headliner.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The family looks cramped in that little boat :) Better get your boat done!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Looks like the family really enjoyed the outing and that's the important thing.
Sorry about the storm damage.
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just got back from the PA Fish & Boat Commission where I finally transferred the registration for my boat to my name. I'm all legal now! My bearing seals for the trailer came in on Friday. I have my axle in the truck right now and I'm headed to the RV shop right after work. We'll check the seals to make sure they fit and if they do, I'm headed immediately to the shop of a fellow iboater, john3931, who has generously agreed to help me get everything reassembled. I will be so pumped to finally have this trailer done.

Assuming that all gets done tonight....the plan is:

- reinstall the axle. Probably have to move it a couple times to achieve the optimal tongue weight
- install the new LED light set on the trailer
- fire up the motor again, this time with the lower unit submerged and see if I can replicate the situation where it stalls going into gear. Adjust the idle speed and see if that helps
- One night this week take the boat for a test run

Assuming nothing catastrophic happens....I will be taking the family out this weekend!!!

If those bearing seals don't fit I'm f&*ked! The RV shop took careful measurements though before ordering so I'm optimistic. If they don't fit I'm going to order a whole new axle to get away from all this weirdness. I will probably do that at some time in the future anyway.

Speaking of hail damage.....found out Friday we're going to need a whole new roof on the house. Joy.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nearly there! Good!

New roof! Wow, bad!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Bummer on the roof, be a good time to install some sky lights, we've been looking at those cylinder types for a while now, just need to pull the trigger and get after it...put two in my dad & stepmom's kitchen and you never need a light on during the day, no matter what the cloud coverage may be.

Looking forward to the vid's of new journey!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Complete FAIL on the trailer repair. The seals didn't fit. I had the axle with me at the RV shop and they hadn't seen one like it. Time for it to go. It looks like Eastern Marine has everything I need and they are only in Newark, DE so hopefully they can get a new axle and hubs by Thursday. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow. F trailers.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow EZ, that really sucks!:mad: What size are you going to replace it with?

Darren

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

That stinks EZ! If you have one close, Tractor Supply Company sells complete preloaded axles, I think they run in the low $100's for a #2000, little more for the next size up, #3500.

Good Luck!
Terry

Andy in NY

Commander

That stinks EZ! If you have one close, Tractor Supply Company sells complete preloaded axles, I think they run in the low $100's for a #2000, little more for the next size up, #3500.

Good Luck!
Terry

ive heard good things about their axles...

do you have one near by jeremy?

tallcanadian

Captain

That's why I bought all new stuff from KMT trailer parts in New York. I didn't want to mess with old crap. The springs weren't all that much either so I bought those as well. Well worth the investment. No more worries. Too bad though, gremlins are everywhere for sure.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Holy crap guys, it looks like tractor supply does have my axle (or at least one that will work) and for HALF of what I was about to spend. I'm going to call them in a few minutes to see if they have it in stock. There's a couple stores in my area so I should be able to find it somewhere.

It's either this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...ailer-axles/axle-72-58-3500-lbs-idler-1075529

or this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...ailer-axles/70x58-idler-axle-2000-lbs-0175415

I'm confused cuz that 3500 one is labeled 3500 in the title but 2000 in the text. I wonder which is correct.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just called my local store. They have both of those in stock. Thanks for the tip!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds good, I've always been a fan of Tractor Supply. The guys usually have good info on their products and decent prices.

Hope no more curveballs, no doubt trailers are the scourge of boating:rolleyes:

Andy in NY

Commander

I just called my local store. They have both of those in stock. Thanks for the tip!!!

which one were you planning on, the 3500#? i would think the 2000# would be enough...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't know yet. I'm going to remeasure. My hubface measurement is currently 71" but I didn't have the hubs bolted on so it may be closer to 70" in which case I'll probably get the 2000# axle. However, can't hurt to have the extra capacity and I have already have really beefy springs! Decisions, decisions. The spring center measurement is the same for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.