1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 18' Starcraft Super Sport

Thanks, the reason I was not able to see your post is because I was looking in completed projects and not restore.

I'm in Completed Projects now? I'll have to check it out. I never did abridge the thread like the mods asked.

Okiebo

Seaman

I'm in Completed Projects now? I'll have to check it out. I never did abridge the thread like the mods asked.

No that's not what I meant to say. After reading you're thread(many times). I assumed it was archived in the completed projects. I came across your thread first by googling starcraft supersport, your thread was the first that came up. So of course I just saved it from there. I joined Iboats shortly after that! So thanks for the great project inspiration and referring me to join this site! I already new about iboats but never joined.

Andy in NY

Commander

I've got a fairly similar rig to your Starcraft (17' Sea Nymph GLS 175). I run an old '76 Johnson 85hp with a 19" pitch prop. I've broken 40 with it once (GPS). Day in and day out when trimmed way up with a light load, it does 38. It really ticks me off that I can't ever seem to break 40 again, but I guess overall it is performing quite well. I'd think you shoud easily be able to get mid-thirties out of your rig with the 85hp.

you know what they say... 38 is the new 40! :p

Okiebo

Seaman

Well today was kinda slow, got second coat on transom. I also took out seats, and ripped up half of the floor. The bow triangle section of the floor was not even riveted down. It was just sitting on top of foam and plywood padded up to level. The foam was not as bad as I thought but gonna replace half of it anyways.

Okiebo

Seaman

I am gonna have to make up my mind on the plywood thickness. 3/4 is about 70+lbs a sheet, condensed to a 63" wide floor width inactual sq. Ft only 3 sheets will really be used. Tha whopping 210+lbs for just deck lumber. 1/2 is about 40-50lbs a sheet. That would be a savings of 60+lbs. I would think I would need additional bracing for 1/2" floor tho? Maybe another 10lbs of bracing? The floor that was in it was 1/2" but only factory bracing. I guess a layer of glass on the 1/2 would sturdy it up. Decisions decisions!

cc53fd

Cadet

I actually thought about using aluminum angle brackets. I would rivet them in place. I actually thought of shortening the splashwell for more rear casting room. If I do that I will have to employ a metal fabricator to to do all work including knee brace. Of course that's probably far fetched thinking right now. Seeing how this project can get serious out of hand quick I have to try to stick to my budget!

Okie iboats has the drain tubes for the splahwell is wat like 12 bucks for 2 including shipping probally cheaper if you live closer to Iowa than i do

Okiebo

Seaman

Okie iboats has the drain tubes for the splahwell is wat like 12 bucks for 2 including shipping probally cheaper if you live closer to Iowa than i do

Yes I seen that. Half the price of west marine to! I will do some business with Iboats when I get a full order.

Okiebo

Seaman

I checked the compression on the 85 rude tonight. 105 across the board. I can live with that. Next step is to put her in water and see how she runs. Once I know I motor runs and shifts good I might just keep this motor here for me to tuneup. I have always been able to work on outboards but have always found it less time consuming to go ahead and employ a pro. Since I gonna have a budget in mind this boat I got to stay away from uneccessary costs. I did not get the rest of the floor took out today but was happy with getting compression results. As long as I do something on it everyday I will have it completed before I know it.

And that starcraft looked like a very good job! I contemplated removing all gunwales and trim and painting it the right way to make it look more factory. Since mine is a modify and not a restore I am going to leave the trim on and remove the black rub rail, paint the whole gunwhale, stripe and sum of the inside hull one color then reinstall rub rail. I have found sum dark grey w/black marbling aerosol paint that I think would cover it perfectly. The only downfall is it would take probably 10-15 cans of it to lay a nice coat. At 5bucks a can that gets expensive but I guess no more than a couple qaurts of cheap spray. I am gonna do a test spray of it this weekend, will post a pic of it then.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I spray painted mine with rattle cans and it was a nightmare. It used way more paint than I thought it would and like you said at $5 a can it really added up. I probably could have paid someone to spray it for what I blew on rattle cans. Plus the overspray was terrible and no matter what I did I couldn't get a glossy finish. I'll definitely be rolling the paint on my next project (or if I repaint this one).

Okiebo

Seaman

I spray painted mine with rattle cans and it was a nightmare. It used way more paint than I thought it would and like you said at $5 a can it really added up. I probably could have paid someone to spray it for what I blew on rattle cans. Plus the overspray was terrible and no matter what I did I couldn't get a glossy finish. I'll definitely be rolling the paint on my next project (or if I repaint this one).
The paint is rustoleuom brand. I looked on there website and they actually seel it in quarts so if I like the aerosol test I will get the quarts of it and spray on. I already have a gallon of white semi gloss epoxy made by petit. I am gonna have it tinted grey at the local hardware store. This will be the majority of the two tone paint scheme. The rustoleuom trim is the hammered textured paint dark grey with black accents. I just hop it doesn't be to dark of a paint job. Will see

Okiebo

Seaman

I tried the "hammered" rustoloeum paint. It is actually a silver. It looks very good if sprayed properly out of can! But hey, its a can its not gonna spray very consistant! I am gonna let it dry a little bit then try to wet sand a little to rub out any imperfections. If they come out I have found my trim color. Now I have to find a suitable lighter color for the lower and floor. I am afraid that the epoxy gloss I have for the lower might clash with the more mettallic satin textured trim. Will upload pics later to show progress since last.

Okiebo

Seaman

Well I have had some bad luck with my laptop. I can't seem to get it to boot right for two weeks now. I am posting this with my phone. Basically what I have completed with the boat is everything removed from boat. I removed it from the trailer and flipped upside down. I have removed the second paint job with acetone stripper and a 1400psi power washer. It took about 9hrs to do this. They don't make stripper like they used to! That stuff was weak to say the least. So to remove the the second layer I will be walnut blasting it off. Shells are about .25cents a pound here so removal will be cost effective just take me another 6-9hrs to get a bare hull. Will post pics when I get my pc up and going!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Okie ya gotta be carefull when Flipping Starcrafts over. Nuch like a Turtle they are really hard to get back upright :D. Mine is finally back on the trailer after a month of being upside down at least LOL. By the way be carefull sanding and rubbing out the Hammertone paint as its actually supposed to have a somewhat rough finish.

Rick

Okiebo

Seaman

Hey Okie ya gotta be carefull when Flipping Starcrafts over. Nuch like a Turtle they are really hard to get back upright :D. Mine is finally back on the trailer after a month of being upside down at least LOL. By the way be carefull sanding and rubbing out the Hammertone paint as its actually supposed to have a somewhat rough finish.

Rick

My wife helped me flip it over. I wasn't about to drop it and jump back! I don't need those rivets letting go! I am gonna have to flip it back over soon and trailer it to my friends house. He has the 60gallon compressor and mediablast setup. I did not try to sand out the hammer paint yet either. I was gonna just get a quart and practice some technique to perfect the "rough layout" I figured the depth in that paint would hide some of the old dings and holes on the gunwales and trim. I am still having a dilema over my paint choices. I want it to be just right for me.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey Okie the SS is going to be one nice rig when you're all done with her:D

As far as the drain issue that was discussed...have you considered mounting it on the bottom of the hull? 100% drain if you crank the wheel up on the front of the trailer.

I know smaller tin cans like mine have these...not sure if there would be issues on a bigger hull or not. Some have a protective aluminum piece that is welded as a wraparound on the bottom hole that protects the fitting when installed. BTW if you understood that I'll be impressed;) Hope you get the jist of it.

Iboats sells these which are very similar...just wanted to throw that out there for consideration.

Attachments

• drainplugfitting.jpg
    drainplugfitting.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Okie you need a big compressor :D. Once you have one the uses for it will amaze you :D actually right at this moment my 16YO is using mine to clean out the filters and such on SWMBO's bagless vacuum LOL.

Rick

Okiebo

Seaman

Hey Okie the SS is going to be one nice rig when you're all done with her:D

As far as the drain issue that was discussed...have you considered mounting it on the bottom of the hull? 100% drain if you crank the wheel up on the front of the trailer.

I know smaller tin cans like mine have these...not sure if there would be issues on a bigger hull or not. Some have a protective aluminum piece that is welded as a wraparound on the bottom hole that protects the fitting when installed. BTW if you understood that I'll be impressed;) Hope you get the jist of it.

Iboats sells these which are very similar...just wanted to throw that out there for consideration.

That's exactly the drain I was going to install and use the existing one for my livewell.

Okiebo

Seaman

Okie you need a big compressor :D. Once you have one the uses for it will amaze you :D actually right at this moment my 16YO is using mine to clean out the filters and such on SWMBO's bagless vacuum LOL.

Rick

Yeah I wished I had his at my house. I have to make time to go to his place since he lives 20 miles round trip away. I work 10-14 hrs a day so not much extra time, nor gas money for that matter! I will get to sanding on her early Monday tho. I need to pick up some primer Sunday so I can have her protected before I bring her home. Should I coat the aluminum before primer?or use the aluminum protect primer?